RX300S3 RAID Adapter Error?

PRIMERGY, PRIMEPower

Moderator: ModTeam

aegisxlii
Product(s): Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX300 S3

RX300S3 RAID Adapter Error?

Postby aegisxlii » Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:39

I booted up my RX300S3 for the first time in a while to see a RAID Adapter Error flash across the screen at startup. The boot process then was hanging at the Adapter Scan section.

I went into BIOS and disabled quiet boot to see a more detailed error message:

RAID adapter
Memory Error!
Please check the SDRAM connection
If problems persist contact Tech Support
Press any key to continue..

There is no option to access WebBIOS. How do I fix the hardware level RAID? Any thoughts appreciated.

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: RX300S3 RAID Adapter Error?

Postby Davie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:46

The enhanced RAID option on an RX300 S3 was the ROMB solution (RAID on Motherboard)

This gave enhanced RAID capabilities to the basic RAID solution by adding the iButton (the RAID key), plus a stick of SDRAM for the controller to use as cache memory (and an optional iBBU battery backup module to protect the SDRAM in time of power failure)

The error message you are getting suggests that either the cache memory (SDRAM) has failed, or at least needs re-seating

Looking at the motherboard from the front of the unit, the SDRAM is in a slot of its own mid way down the left hand edge of the motherboard. The iButton RAID key sits next to it

aegisxlii
Product(s): Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX300 S3

Re: RX300S3 RAID Adapter Error?

Postby aegisxlii » Tue Nov 29, 2011 20:59

Thanks for the advice, Davie. I tried reseating the RAID DIMM. It know long gives me the memory error quoted in my first post. However, it still showed the ICMP RAID Adapter Error and there was still no option to view the WebBIOS at startup. Any thoughts?

Then I switched out the DIMM with another from a semi-working server. At first I got many errors about how the RAID DIMM was bad and continuing could be hazard to my computer's health. After a restart or two it stopped complaining. Now I access WebBIOS and everything seems good. I'm still hesitant though. Are these machines always so temperamental?

Return to “Server Products”