[SCALEO] 600 will not boot up

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

LarryA

[SCALEO] 600 will not boot up

Postby LarryA » Mon Mar 26, 2007 14:20

Ok some background:
I have had this PC for over 2 years, with no problems to date. Nothing in the setup has changed recently. I have not installed / removed anything or done anything unduly stupid. The PC is a SCALEO 600, motherboard Gigabyte GA-8SGXL with Celeron 2.6GHz CPU.

The problem:
When I press (and release) the on / off button the power, HDD and DVD lights come on, as does the fan. Nothing else happens. The HDD and DVD lights do not go out (as they should), and the HDD does not start whirring. No output is sent to the monitor at all. Holding in the on / off button does not shut down the PC. Pressing the DVD eject button does not open the DVD drawer. The PC stays in this state indefinitely, until I turn off the power on the PSU.
This problem just started yesterday, and is 100% consistent. Same result every time I try. I figure some piece of hardware has broken, but I'm running out of ideas on how to isolate what it is.

Things I have tried:

1. Checked the on / off switch is not jammed in any way. All looks fine.

2. Removed all leads from the back of the PC. Held in on / off button for 15 secs. Reconnected power and monitor leads. No change in behaviour.

3. As above, plus removed CMOS battery for several minutes before reconnecting everything. No change in behaviour.

4. Disconnected all IDE devices (HDDs, DVDs, Floppy). I disconnected the data cables to these devices, not the power cables. When the PC was turned on the HDD and DVD lights no longer come on. It is now possible to eject the DVD. Still no output to monitor. No apparent change in behaviour.

The only thing I have not done is short the CMOS jumper to reset the CMOS settings to default.

Other than that I am running out of ideas.
Has anyone seen this before, or know what it could be? Or any other ideas for things to try?

I'm thinking CPU or motherboard problem.
Can't be any of my IDE devices, as they are all disconnected.
Can't be any of my peripherals (mouse / keyboard / USB bits) as they are also disconnected.
Don't think it is IDE controller, as surely I would still get something on the monitor, e.g. POST checks?
Don't think it is RAM either, for the same reason.

tenchiten
Product(s): Frankenputers

Postby tenchiten » Tue Mar 27, 2007 21:05

Are you able to try another power supply ?.
Just a thought before you think about replacing your mobo or processor.
Learning all the time.

RBak

Postby RBak » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:58

Hi I have nearly the same problem. It also started some days ago. The PC has also worked fine for over 2 years now and nothing has changed recently. Mine is a SCALEO with a Gigabyte 8SGXLFS mother board and a P4 2.8GHz CPU. So I think it is the same mobo.

I can also start up the PC by pressing the on/off button in the front. I can hear the HDD's start spinning and park. And after that nothing else happens. No output is send to the monitor, no system beep that I normally hear if the PC is booting up. However I can open and close the DVD drawers. So there is a slightly different behavior.

On the mobo I can see that the led next to the CPU lights up and the fan from the CPU cooler is also switched on.

The PC indeed stays in this state indefinitely, until I turn off the power on the PSU.

I have noticed some dust on the CPU cooler but I cannot imagine that this has caused the CPU to overheat. In my opinion there was still enough airflow to cool the ribs of the cooler and therefore also the CPU.

krissebaze

Postby krissebaze » Sun Apr 15, 2007 0:17

Well have you checked on the mobo that no jumbers are burned and that the mobo is intact in any ways, sometimes there can be a big black spot next to the ram after a couple of years cause of the heatness it gives, actuallu tried it once.
well it can be the psu or overheating harddrive, the harddrive starts but dosent run, can be that the harddrive is broken. happens for servers and computers that are turned on for month and month with no cooling systems that works probably. so could be the harddrives.

RBak

Postby RBak » Sun Apr 15, 2007 20:32

I cannot imagine it being the hard drives. In that case I would at least expect that there will be video during startup and there isn't. Also if I disconnect all hard disks, CD-roms and diskette drive the problem is still there.

My guess is the CPU or the mobo. But how can you tell if you do not have a spare mobo or CPU available... If I know what it is I know what to buy to get the PC up and running again.

I think LarryA will agree since in his original post he also mentioned that he already disconnected all the drives and the problem still persists :(

cotter

Postby cotter » Wed Apr 18, 2007 13:39

I had exactly the same problem as you. On my pc it turned out that the large lead that connects the power supply to the motherboard was fried. Check this, as on mine the connection was burnt meaning a new motherboard and power supply. Disconnect this connection and check for any burn marks. Good luck.

weezul

Postby weezul » Mon Apr 23, 2007 17:29

same thing started happening to my Scaleo 600! and i just sold it to my flatmate!! he has to leave it off for about 6 hours to make it turn back on. I checked everything for him, tried the static electricity thing, tried leaving it with no battery in for an hour, checked motherboard and connectors, no burns!!

However, after like 6 hours, the computer turns on. Oh i also cleaned the heatsink and fans. If the computer is restarted after being on for any amount of time, the same probelm happens!! Anyone have any developments/ideas not aleready discussed on this board?

starbuck22

Postby starbuck22 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 15:40

I'm having the same problem with my SCALEO, it's just under two years old. It now won't boot up, the fan and the blue lights at the front start and the DVD green light flashes but it doesnt get as far as the beep before it seems to just restart, the CD flashes but before it beeps it restarts, just keeps doing this over and over. I tried a new power unit and it just did the same thing. Did anyone workout what the problem was? I think it may be the motherboard but im not sure and don't want to waste the money if it wont fix it. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

tenchiten

Postby tenchiten » Mon Oct 29, 2007 18:36

No one ever posted back to the thread to say what the problem was, but thats not unusual.

Have you gone through an elimination process yet by disconnecting hardware, removing RAM, removing the CMOS battery for a while etc etc ?
This problem does not sound quite the same as the others on this thread.

Before writing off the motherboard check all your cards are seated correctly in their slots, especially the RAM.
Post back to let us know how you get on.
Learning all the time.

starbuck22

Postby starbuck22 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 16:25

Thanks for the reply. When I find out the problem I’ll definitely let you know.

Unfortunately I’m pretty technically inept. I’ve tried removing the RAM but just does the same thing. I’ll try the other cards, processor and battery.

Someone at work thought it could be the processor, but I thought that was unlikely, what do you think?

If I was to replace the motherboard will that be a nightmare?

tenchiten

Postby tenchiten » Tue Oct 30, 2007 16:58

If there was a fault with the processor I would expect a series of beeps on startup (BIOS beep code) letting you know there was a fault, though this would also be the case with a RAM fault or graphics fault (but a different beep code).
Your machine does not get this far however before re-starting.

If you have re-seated the memory already then have a go with removing the CMOS battery for a while then try again.
There is no need at this stage to remove the processor.

If at the end of the day this turns out to be the motherboard gone duff, and by your own admission you are "pretty technically inept" then you may be as well getting someone with more experience to replace it.
Learning all the time.

starbuck22

Postby starbuck22 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:00

I removed the battery and intriguingly now it won’t start at all, I put the battery back in but still will not start?

I was hoping I’d be able to swap the mother board on my own but sounds like I’d likely do more harm than good?

tenchiten

Postby tenchiten » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:26

Well it does sound kind of like the motherboard may have packed up, unless anyone else reading this thread has any other ideas ?

One other thing to try before writing off the mobo, disconnect the computer from the mains, hold in the power button for 10 seconds, remove the CMOS battery and leave it out overnight then replace it with a new battery (should be fairly cheap) and see if that makes a difference. If not then I guess a new motherboard is required.

If you want to have a go at replacing the motherboard yourself then have a go.
My advice would be to make a carefull note of where everything goes (take a few photos) and pay particular attention where all the cables connect to, especially the ones from the front panel :wink:

Once you have done that then have a practice run, remove your old motherboard and then re-fit it, it shouldnt take too long and will give you confidence when it comes to fitting the new one.
Remember when you come to fit the processor into the new board it will require cleaning and re-pasting with thermal compound.

Post back and let us know how you get on.
Learning all the time.

starbuck22

Postby starbuck22 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 14:23

Thanks, i'll try that and if not the motherboard.

I'll let you know.

jif20

Resetting

Postby jif20 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 16:13

Hello,

i currently have a similar problem to 'starbuck22'. I left the computer disconnected from the plug over christmas break, and came back to find this problem. Basically when the computer is turned on, the computer gets to the screen that allows you to boot into safe mode, run windows normally etc. If you select anything, e.g. boot windows normally, it will continue to try and start windows, display the logo, and loading bar, and then just 'reset' a couple of seconds later!? it will NOT get any further than this.

I have had the same problem in the past with it occasionally resetting once the OS has booted, which was not as much of a problem.

I have changed the bios battery, and replaced the motherboard, but the problem is still the same. I will hopefully try another HDD later today. If it still does this then could it be the Processor? I hope it is as my work is not currently backed up! the processor is the P4HT socket 775 type. The computer is a F-siemens scaleo GA81915.

did starbuck22 sort out his problem??

Any advice would be useful

Thanks James

Return to “SCALEO”