[Scaleo P] Vista Upgrade problem

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

cocoman

[Scaleo P] Vista Upgrade problem

Postby cocoman » Tue May 01, 2007 16:18

I recently upgraded to Vista home premium from xp and encountered a few problems. Luckily I've been able to sort them all apart from one.

My SCALEO P came with an NEC ND-4551 optical drive with Nero 6.6.1.3d installed. Unfortunately Vista does not run this as there is compatability issues.

This seems to be causing a problem where discs are not recognised by the drive. When I double click on the drive it just says 'Insert Disk' and the drawer opens.

It does seem to work if there is a cd/dvd in the drive when the PC is booted. This is not an ideal situation though as I have to reboot to use even a cd.

I tried downloading a trial version of Nero 7 but this didn't change the matter at all.

I also checked the driver for the ND-4551 but according to windows it is the latest one. Even though it is almost a year old! Tried the NEC site but it was worse than useless.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Dave O

Postby Dave O » Wed May 02, 2007 0:25

Vista should have no problem with any ide drive. You could uninstall the drive in device manager then reboot, to get vista to install it again. I am sure that Nero is your problem. Nero 6 is not compatible with vista. Nero 7 is infamous for its bugs and refusal to load or run. I have 3 machines, 1 xp, 2 vista. I only have it runing properly on vista ultimate, but only after the latest update. My XP machine wont even load it let alone anything else. My notebook will run but wont work fully. The latest Roxio Easy creator 9 works fine. Nero realy droped the ball on 7, I bet that is your problem. 8)

cocoman

Postby cocoman » Wed May 02, 2007 16:39

Thanks, I've tried uninstalling the driver but there was no change. I've tried completly uninstalling nero as well but it stil does not work. Does this drive need Nero installed to work? Is that not a little strange? I'll just have to keep looking for an answer. I don't want to fork out cash for a program like roxio or nero 7 when these might not work as well.

Dave O

Postby Dave O » Wed May 02, 2007 22:57

To read DVD or CD you dont need aditional software. Only to write. Check your ide cable inside to make sure it has not worked loose. If you have a friend with a computer, take out your drive and try it in his machine. Nero 6 is no good with vista. Dont buy nero 7 its rubish. Go to the roxio web site see if they have a trial version it will tell you if its your software or your drive at fault. Try a google serch for a freeware burning software, or http://www.download.com If your drive wont even read disk, it may be the brand of blanks you are useing. Does it play manufactured disks?

cocoman

Postby cocoman » Thu May 10, 2007 17:15

Thanks for the help. I ended up just reinstalling vista clean. This seemed to do the trick as everything is working fine now. Infact I recomend to anyone, Do a clean install rather than upgrading. Far less problems.

My Drive now reads all cd's dvd's etc however I tried burning an audio CD using media player but I got an error. Do you know if I need nero or roxio to do any burning or should it work without it?

Dave O

Postby Dave O » Thu May 10, 2007 23:05

Cant say about media player as I dont use it. But the creative version would burn without nero etc. Try a diferent make of disk, some drives are fussy about the media they use. DVD drives have become so cheep, as a result they arnt the most reliable of componants. In the last six years I must have gone through seven or more on two machines. Mind you I am a hevey user of drives. You may just have a faulty drive. Take it out of your machine and try it in a friends see if it still has problems. If so its probably faulty.....

Return to “SCALEO”