[M3438] SEVERE graphics hardware fault !!

Moderator: ModTeam

marcus i

Postby marcus i » Fri Feb 23, 2007 19:32

I am also based in the UK just outside london (watford). I brought the laptop from selfridges, I am certainly interested to hear you are taking legal proceedings and am tempted to follow suit!

donfrutero

Postby donfrutero » Mon Apr 16, 2007 14:26

I also have an 3438g I have exactly the same problem, but i'm spanish and i'm still in warantee i would like to know the reason of the problem to tell to the service, however if you can't fix it you can do that slow down the power of the laptop you can do it in the properties of nvidia in the powermizer with that the problem won't disturb you, thats what i did but this isn't the laptop with a good graphic card (6800go) we payed for, please write here any news or information
p.d:sorry for my english

StudioMusician

Postby StudioMusician » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:38

Hi Don, am still no further in getting the darn laptop fixed or diagnosing the problem. It's been out of action for four months now and I'm desperate to get it fixed, but seeing as this is obviously an inherent problem with this laptop model (you are the 6th person I've heard of with the exact same laptop and the exact same problem) I'm taking it through the legal system (mine is out of warranty) out of principle.

I'm damned if I'm going to pay more money for to fix something that cost a great deal (£1200) that lasts one year and is clearly not fit for purpose.

Currently (the UK based) Trading Standards are taking over my case.

PS > Don't worry about your English, Don, it's really good! By the way, it should be Fujitsu who diagnoses the problem, not us. We can't be expected to diagnose it alone in this cirumstance as it's just completely obscure, it could be anything (duff GPU, duff RAM, duff motherboard, duff CPU). You can only tell them the symptoms.

PSS > I haven't forgotten about this forum, I just had nothing to report. The cogs are definately turning, though, it's just (painfully) slow. I will update when I hear more news. If my case is successful, then this will stand to help all Europeans with the problem (under the Sale Of Goods Act 1979 [as ammended], under European Law). However, if your computer is still in warranty, do not delay, get it fixed while you still can!

marcus i

Postby marcus i » Tue Apr 24, 2007 20:54

i coughed up the £300 pounds to service source (fujitsu siemens parts dealer) to repair the laptop. They replaced the vga assembly board which was the problem apparently. Got it back installed fifa 07, it played for 10 seconds then broke with exactly the same problem again. Rest assured i will be on the phone tommorow shouting my head off!!

StudioMusician

Postby StudioMusician » Fri Apr 27, 2007 14:39

Mine was picked up by courier yesterday for evaluation by the retailers (LaptopsDirect) after Trading Standards had several communications with them. Which is a great first step after so long. Will let you know what happens.

Darn, Marcus, that royally sucks! Really hope they sort things out for you. Keep us informed what happens.

M0RT

Postby M0RT » Wed May 02, 2007 8:06

I'm suffering exactly the same problem, although fortunately I'm still under warranty, I feel for you guys who are having to fight this without a warranty.

My machine has just come back from repair (to resolve a problem I had using an external monitor) only to break down as soon as I put it under any load. Basically whilst playing a game the system bluescreened and shut down. On reboot the display is heavily corrupted right from the initial Fujitsu Siemens BIOS splash screen. I can only get it to boot by going into safe mode or choosing VGA from the 'F8 menu' and even then its practically unusable (although I've managed to burn a DVD backup of personal data)

According to the paperwork for the recent repair it has had a new mobo, audio card, gfx card & external vga port. My theory is that it's either a faulty component (graphics card ?) or faulty fitting. Either way its frustating as the machine has effectively been returned to me in worse condition than when it went out for the original repair.

Although I feel lucky that my machine is still under warranty it is frustrating having only just recieved it back from repair. Fujitsu Siemens claim the unit was independantly tested but they obviously didn't test it for any length of time or under any load. It was away for 3 weeks for the initial repair and I had to take two days off work to wait around for the courier to collect/deliver so I am not a happy chappy as I am back to square one.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Bruce

Surt

Postby Surt » Wed May 09, 2007 12:28

Hi guys,

making a recopilation of post about this problem. My 3438G have a dead 6800 too.

http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/foru ... 3b5958bd0b

(Ebay looks like full of MXM 6800 Go from our laptops... probably all dead cards.

StudioMusician

Postby StudioMusician » Fri May 18, 2007 13:20

Finally received the laptop back from Laptops Direct in the exact (unusable) state it was sent to them, and they included a report stating:

...no hardware fault found, however due to the nature of the reported fault I would think it to be deemed as wear and tear due to the notebook having worked perfectly now for over a year and therefore mis-treatment of some kind must have occurred.

Although there is no physical damage to the outside of the laptop there could have been some impact damage to the mainboard which could cause the Graphics card to dislodge and cause the reported fault. Unit would have to be returns to Fujitsu-Siemens for an out-of-warranty repair which would therefore be chargeable.

Which just illustrates complete and utter incompetence and absurdity of the so-called evaluation team at Laptops Direct.

Will contact them one more time, and then otherwise will proceed with legal action.

Damn you, Fujitsu.

M0RT

Postby M0RT » Mon May 21, 2007 1:22

I had my machine repaired under warranty and returned to me by Fujitsu Siemens. I had exactly the same symptoms and can provide copies of the paperwork showing what hardware was replaced and thereby prooving it was a hardware fault on my machine. Any help ?

Bruce

StudioMusician

Postby StudioMusician » Tue May 29, 2007 15:04

Just a quick update: Sent mine back to the retailer last week, and armed with the new info from M0rt (thank you!) which clearly shows it's a VGA graphics card and thermal module fault and NOT mis-use i'm hoping they take it seriously this time or they'll have a lawsuit to contend with.

Wasn't chuffed with the condition it was last sent back to me from LaptopsDirect initial 'evaluation' a couple of weeks ago, either. - They had dented the front/top of the lid, and damaged the mouse buttons (for some reason they were made extremely loose, i'm utterly boggled as to how LaptopsDirect managed to do that), and have made them liable for those damages, too. Am pretty furious as the laptop was otherwise flawless in its aesthetic functionality when it was first sent to them.

sean8n

Ibid

Postby sean8n » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:43

I have exactly the same problems as all of you, it deteriorated over a week and now is completely unusable. Th machine was bought about 18 months ago and has been very well cared for - I loved this computer and am gutted this has happened. I am a bit lost without it as I'm in China and the other one I can use has a Chinese OS. I'll be back in Europe in July when I expect to send it back to Fujitsu-Siemens. This kind of complete break down for so many customers is unacceptable and we should not bare the burden of replacing a clearly, sub-standard component. Waiting to see what happens to the original poster and if there's no reasonable response from FS I'll be in touch with UK trading standards too.

I hope FS sort this out as I have a very favorable impression of their product so far.

donfrutero

Fixed!!!

Postby donfrutero » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:31

hi guys, i send it to mediamarkt, they changed la graphics cars and everything's fine, also they updated my bios, so, i dont have more lag

Futumsh

This isnt an isolated incident then...

Postby Futumsh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:49

I've experienced exactly the same fault after 18 months. It seems that this is a design fault with the computers not simply a one off warranty issue - I wont be buying a FS computer ever again!

lyk

Re: This isnt an isolated incident then...

Postby lyk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 18:04

Futumsh wrote:I wont be buying a FS computer ever again!

... like almost all owners of x43x platform...
m3438G with lag
P-M 1.73 * -Samsung 80GB: not any more- Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm 100GB * nVidia6800Go BIOS .60 * 512MB RAM * M/B P71EN0 BIOS 1.10C : 5kg of S.H.I.T.

emanresu

Exactly same problem

Postby emanresu » Wed Jun 20, 2007 22:31

I have this laptop for about 18 months. Few days ago it just wouldnt wake up from standby so i had to force it off. It does not work with video card installed (had to remove drivers in safe mode). DOS displays crazy chars as well. I'll post any info after i'll sort things out. Good luck with yours laptops. Regards.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”