[Xi] Future proof, fully expandable and upgradeable

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

Kenneth_sw

[Xi] Future proof, fully expandable and upgradeable

Postby Kenneth_sw » Wed Jan 10, 2007 20:19

I finaly recived my Scaleo X computer during the week just before christmas. I'am very happy with the configuration consisting of an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 1GB memory, Crative X-FI sound card, Nvidia 7650GS graphics and 2 x 250 SATA drives.

So far so good.. but the main reason why I chosed to buy an SCALEO X computer was because to my undestanding this was the FSC "Top of the line" computer for consumers, and above all because this was a "Future proof: fully expandable and upgradeable" computer as stated on both the FSC swedish and english , and i guess German, sites.

I saw this machine as very good ground to start from and grow with and had a lot of plans about uppgrading memory and instaling a better graphics in the future.. I really did belive i could "grow" with this "state of the art" consumer computer for a reasonable long time (3 year or so).

Now.. the reason I'm writing this is because after checking that all the components were delivered and installed as stated I have been studying wich future uppgrades I can make in this computer. Guess what I found? ;

1. This computer is build around a Micro ATX Motherboard (MS-7293
v1.X). Maybe it is just me... but I would not choose a M-ATX board to build a high performance computer.

2. Only two possible PCI slots! One is now taken by the Creative X-FI card...wich leaves me with only one PCI slot. This is not what I understand as "Fully expandable and uppgradable".

3. only 1 PCI-E x 1.

3. A maximum of 2GB RAM! (althoug the presales info I've got stated att leas 3GB was possible!!) As of now both memory banks are taken (2x512MB) My old computer that i "buildt" myself and is around 2 years old does support 3GB of memory. 2GB RAM is not future proof by any
standards. My 2-3 years old Life Book laptop supports 2GB. Yes the memory of the ScaleoX is faster (DDR2)..but still.

4. Only SATA/150 is supported! To my knowledge the SATA/300 standard has been around for some time now.

I suppose it is my fault for not checking exactly wich MOBO the computer had but to tell you the truth this is no easy information to find on the siemens-Fujitsu site... I just could not imagine that the "best" of the FSC consumer computer would be this limited. The computer is not even a month old and I allready have to consider a MOBO uppgrade... this would also mean that I have to buy a new WinXP MCE licens as OEM licens do not alow for motherboard uppgrades as far as I know.

So what is my actual question? None really... but I feel kind of cheated to say the least and wanted to hear your comments and opinions. Is it jus me or would you also say that this is _not_ a fully uppgradable and future proof computer?

Please feel free to comment and excuse my bad english spelling.

Best regards
/Kenneth
Last edited by Kenneth_sw on Thu Jan 11, 2007 15:33, edited 2 times in total.

olshevch

Postby olshevch » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:46

Well... I've noticed the same thing after I looked inside my brand new Scaleo Pa. As I understand, this is common for FS to install unknown "OEM" motherboards, which you hardly find drivers or instructions for and which are already full-staffed with all possible expandings. ;(

The only thing that I could do is to upgrade video card, because 'GS' does not seem to be a 'top of the line' and satisfactory for middle-high performance.

Kenneth_sw

Postby Kenneth_sw » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:09

I agree and I would not have been surprised to find this motherboard on a "Media PC" were you have to think about space and so on... but in a "High performance PC" this is almost a joke.

I have contacted the company that sold the PC... but I didn't have the serial number of the PC right then so they would not help me or give any information.

I will post again when and if I know more. The only thing I have as a hard argument is that they did tell me I could expand the memory to at least 3GB before I bought the computer and this is clearly not true.

Nephitis
Product(s): Scaleo X

Postby Nephitis » Sun Jan 14, 2007 20:57

Well, besides the hardware specifications and "their" upgradeability, the Scaleo X chassis is very expandable and upgradeable. Some of the Scaleo chassis are not suited for high-end components, mainly because they do not handle heat very well, and are too small.

"The SCALEO X delivers best-in-class computing performance for the demanding user and is designed to be fully-upgradeable."

I suppose this information can be interpreted differently, however, since all Scale models have different hardware specifications, I believe that the information on their website mainly refers to the Scaleo chassis or models, and what they are capable of. For example, it's quite hard or perhaps even impossible to mount the 10.6 inches (27 cm) long nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX graphic card and/or six harddrives in the chassis of the Scaleo P, H and T series, but it's fully possible with the Scaleo X. With a SLi compatible motherboard and PSU, you can even install two GeForce 8800 GTX cards in a Scaleo X if you remove two of the harddrive bays. The two graphic cards require two PCI slots each (4 of the 7 available slots in the chassis).

Whether the computer parts are high-end/upgradeable or not when you get the computer from Fujitsu Siemens, the Scaleo X chassis fits a wide range of high-end components. So in "that" aspect, the Scaleo X series is fully upgradeable and a future proof model. However, concering the motherboards that Fujitsu Siemens put in their computers, they are very limited in terms of upgradeability.

Moreover, if you're willing to pay for a FFP Windows OS (Full-Packaged Product), you may upgrade the motherboard:

Rather than purchase completely new PCs, my organization performs in-place upgrades to the hardware on many of our computers. We often times only replace the motherboard, processor, and memory. Since the COA is still on the case and the OS is still installed on the hard drive, this computer is still licensed, right?

-Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a “new personal computer”. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from one computer to another. Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer has been created, the original license expires, and a new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required. This is true even if the computer is covered under Software Assurance or other Volume License programs.

If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?

-The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive. Please refer to the section on “Modifications to hardware and how they affect the activation status of Windows XP” in the following link for a more detailed explanation regarding specific hardware changes. The same hardware component changes that can be made to a PC before requiring re-activation of Windows XP are the same changes that can be made before a PC is considered to be “new” - and when a new license for OEM software is required.

Kenneth_sw

Postby Kenneth_sw » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:06

Yes the Chasi of the Scaleo X is good enough regardin space...but it doesn't really do me any good if the motherboard is this limited.

As noted in my first post I'm completly aware that I can install a difren MoBo and ofcourse that I would in that case need to purchase a new windows licens.

I'm aware that the "fully uppgradable" arguement can be interpreted in many ways but to say that it only refers to the Chasi is ..hm... questionable. As I also wrote I was promised to be able to uppgrade the memory to at least 3GB but the actual motherboard I recived wouldn't allow for more than 2GB of RAM.
Last edited by Kenneth_sw on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Kenneth_sw

Postby Kenneth_sw » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:15

I finaly got a response!

As it seems there might have been a "problem" wiht my Scaleo X and the wrong MoBo was delivered . They will try to find a fitting solution for me as soon as possible. =)

Tord_c

Postby Tord_c » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:56

I also got a "Hem PC" Scaleo X with this motherboard, it as you say below all standards.
The worst part is that the computer is sold with bullshit like
"For those with Extrem demands on performance and expansion"
I got 2GB from start, 2 harddrives which give that there are NO posibility to expand it.
Our Company, Siemens by the way, complained and we are now waiting for a suggestion of a new motherboard, not due to lack of expandebility but for a formality writing in the specification, SATA is not SATA II,
Kenneth: what motherboard where you offered?
Did you got the computer through "Office"?
From what I hear is that 170 computers affected within our company
But I wonder how many of these packages that are delivered?
I now that Norrköping and Nyköping have the same supplier.

Kenneth_sw

Postby Kenneth_sw » Fri Feb 02, 2007 15:44

Hi Tord!
I'm very "happy" to see that I'm not alone. As you can guess I also got a "Hem PC".
When I asked the Customer Support of Office I actualy got the answer that if I had ordered 3GB RAM to begin with (one of the possible uppgrade options) I would have got "another" PC with a better motherboard... another PC still called Scaleo X.
I'm also aware of the negotiatons but as late as last monday there were no news.
I wasn't really offered a specific MoBo... but I asumed that I would at least be able to expand to 3GB as this was a possible uppgrade option... (tji f.ick jag..).
Please feel fre to PM and I can give you my e-mail and some more information.

Nephitis

Postby Nephitis » Sun Feb 04, 2007 23:51

I am not sure whether the wrong motherboard was delivered in my case. My Scaleo X came with a micro mainboard called Asus M2R-FVM. It's not really a high performance mainboard, but it supports SATA II and has four slots for harddrive Serial-ATA connectors. It does also have 4 slots for RAM modules.

Well, I personally think this motherboard is a little bit "too small"... It has a lack of extra PCI slots.

olshevch

Re:

Postby olshevch » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:21

Nephitis wrote:My Scaleo X came with a micro mainboard called Asus M2R-FVM.

I've got it in my Scaleo Pa. I think, "expandable" computer has to have something more flexible than this...

Kenneth_sw

Postby Kenneth_sw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 16:44

Hi Nephitis. Is hard to say but still you got more expansion possibilities than Tord and me.
You have _no_ PCI slots?

Nephitis

Postby Nephitis » Mon Feb 05, 2007 22:42

My motherboard has 2 PCI slots, whereas one is occupied by the GPU cooler, and the second one by the soundcard.

Kenneth_sw

Re:

Postby Kenneth_sw » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:15

Nephitis wrote:My motherboard has 2 PCI slots, whereas one is occupied by the GPU cooler, and the second one by the soundcard.

Oh... that sounds like a really crapy construction. =(

Nephitis

Postby Nephitis » Fri Feb 23, 2007 19:16

Yes... their OEM motherboards are real crappy and are not worth being called high-end components. My Scaleo X is about 4-5 months old, and I've replaced a lot of stuff like the stock fans, CPU cooler and power supply unit. I'm going to replace the graphic card too.

antifrost

Postby antifrost » Sat Feb 24, 2007 20:41

Hi Kenneth,

I just discovered to my horror today that my Scaleo X Extreme Gamer PC (MS-7293 like you, but rev. 2.0) is running Single Channel on the RAM, even though I have 2 RAM modules that are exactly the same. This is really to bad!

Does your RAM run Single or Dual Channel and have you done anything in BIOS to make it so?

Thanks.

Michael
Denmark

Return to “SCALEO”