[E] graphics upgrade for Vista Aero

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

deadslow

[E] graphics upgrade for Vista Aero

Postby deadslow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 14:38

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the answer to this? I would like to upgrade to Vista but the compatibility tool says Aero will not work. I also think the onboard graphics is not powerful enough generally. Is there an idiots guide to doing an upgrade somewhere?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
Scaleo e, Sony Str-da5200es, Xbox hd-dvd.

Demokritos

Postby Demokritos » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:39

"NVidia GeForce 6600" is mentioned as a graphics option in the data sheet for your computer. Why don't you go to the manufacturer's site (http://www.nvidia.com) and ask them if this unit will work for Vista Aero?
Better ask Fujitsu-Siemens, too, whether that graphics unit is a normal PCI-Express or AGP type of card which really fits into your computer, since Scaleo E has a rather unique construction. If it is a normal card and fits in your machine they all come in boxes with installation instructions.
Regards,
D

housten

I want to run Vista Aero

Postby housten » Wed Jan 10, 2007 16:42

It is pretty disappointing that everything on this year old system is good enough for Vista premium apart from the video card.

Has anyone upgraded their intel based graphics card to another? I'd like to hear experiences.

Does Fujitsu-Siemens recommend any cards? Their vista page give vague suggestions about what is needed for Vista Premium but gives no recommendations.

I'd like to get the best possible low profile graphics card that will work with the Scaleo E.

thanks!

deadslow

Postby deadslow » Wed Jan 17, 2007 13:09

Anybody? I've now seen mention of ATI X1300 mobility but not found anyone who has actually done this.

Thanks.

saxtell

Postby saxtell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 17:46

I am also looking to upgrade my graphics card. The important thing is that it needs to be a low profile card. My research so far suggests that XFX will be the best bet. They seem to have a number of low profile cards in their range. The challenge may be to get the low profile bracket kit:

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/web/viewFea ... eId=602480

This is sold separately.

saxtell

Postby saxtell » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:29

Well I have gone ahead and bought an XFX 7100 GS card. The shop where I bought it was able to provide me with a low profile bracket. This card has 128 MB on board but also can borrow memory from the system RAM. The Windows Vista upgrade advisor likes this card so I am now all set to upgrade.

I will need to go back to the shop and get another bracket to properly support the VGA socket. When I use the DVI socket, I need to connect it to my TV with a DVI->HDMI adapter. Windows then thinks I am using a Plug and Play monitor and does not give me the option to specify a resolution that properly fits my widescreen TV. It does when I use VGA.

This is a relatively low cost card so may not suit those who are looking for the best available, but I think it will suit my needs.

olshevch

Re:

Postby olshevch » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:53

saxtell wrote:When I use the DVI socket, I need to connect it to my TV with a DVI->HDMI adapter. Windows then thinks I am using a Plug and Play monitor and does not give me the option to specify a resolution that properly fits my widescreen TV. It does when I use VGA.

Try to find display drivers for your TV! :lol:

BTW, my MCE offers image setup for TV also. Probably something like this exists for Vista. :wink:

housten

GeForce 7300GS by Chaintec works!

Postby housten » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:34

I've just installed the Chaintech GeForce 7300GS (GSV73GS). This card has 256MB onboard memory and can use another 256MB from the system.

I now get a 3.0 Vista rating for this system instead of a 1.0 and I get the aero effects now. :)

This was a reasonably cheap card that comes with a low profile bracket but the bracket only supports the dvi & svideo ports. The VGA port cable is not compatible with the system one. I plan to use a DVI to VGA adapter. For now I just took out a slot protector and have the vga cable hang out through there. The vga ribbon cable supplied with the card is a little awkward to use as it has a hard black thing in the middle making it less flexible.

I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and they worked well though I had to get Vista to re-rate the performance for the system before Aero came on.

Basically I'm happy with this, though I think the mediacenter is a little noisier. Could just be because the back isn't sealed right now with this vga cable. It should be better once I switch to the dvi to vga adapter and can put the empty card slot plate back in place.

deadslow

Postby deadslow » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:05

This is very interesting. Any power supply problems? Where did you get it? Where there any problems with fitting? Sorry for all the questions, but this is just what I have been waiting for.

Thanks!

housten

Re:

Postby housten » Sun Feb 25, 2007 17:57

deadslow wrote:This is very interesting. Any power supply problems? Where did you get it? Where there any problems with fitting? Sorry for all the questions, but this is just what I have been waiting for.

Thanks!

I bought the card when I was in the states from NewEgg.com.

I don't appear to be having any power supply problems.

Fitting it was easy! There is plenty of room. Just remove the VGA ribbon cable and use a DVI/VGA adapter. It isn't easy to connect the VGA ribbon that comes with it to the VGA interface inside the Scaleo E. They don't appear to have the same interface.

I had a couple of the adapters just lying around - they were included with monitors I had bought.

deadslow

Postby deadslow » Mon Feb 26, 2007 0:53

I've now done a bit more research and like the look of the MSI GeForce HDMI/DVI card. This is HDTV ready, HDCP compliant and passively cooled which should keep noise and current draw to a minimum. Now to summon up the courage to break open the cover. Can the existing card be removed? If so, does it affect the scart board?
:)
Last edited by deadslow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Pontello

Postby Pontello » Mon Feb 26, 2007 16:42

Hi.
I've recently installed a Sapphire Ati Radeon X1300 vga board and it works perfectly on my Scaleo-E using either Xp or Vista (just installed on my system). Now i'm using Vista 32bit Ati Radeon reference drivers and everything (Aero included) seems to work fine. No heat problems till now.
Here it is.

http://www.overclockplanet.it/overclock-product_info-Ati-Vga_sapphire_ati_radeon_x-products_id-8978.html

P.

deadslow

Postby deadslow » Tue Mar 06, 2007 0:55

Are these PCI-e cards? Do they fit the Scaleo e? I thought it had to be PCI. I am now very confused. Help?

deadslow

Postby deadslow » Wed Mar 14, 2007 15:43

The answer is...void the warranty, take the lid off and have a look. All then becomes clear. The MSI card has gone in great and despite the box saying "minimum 300w power supply" no problems so far.

This also cleared up one of the problems I had with the TV cards. I could not record from one while watching another card. It turns out the riser card is duff, only one socket is working. However, having lifted the lid...the warranty is void! I now have a dual tuner card in there, which at least helps the power supply! Now to buy an HD-DVD to test the XBox drive.

Cheers.

Return to “SCALEO”