Navigon MN 6 on N520

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

sjdigital

Navigon MN 6 on N520

Postby sjdigital » Mon Jan 15, 2007 20:20

Anybody upgraded to MN6 on their N520 yet? It looks like an excellent deal at GBP100 for software plus full European maps.

sjdigital

Postby sjdigital » Tue Jan 30, 2007 16:18

"Bump"

Dublinrover - I see you have it installed. Are the Irish maps any good now?

dublinrover

Postby dublinrover » Wed Jan 31, 2007 15:18

MN6 is much better than MN5. (.. that is just my opinion ...)
The Irland Maps are also better now. The M50 is in in its full length available, just some Exits are still not fully implemented.
The rural side roads also improved, I just can say this from my experience with the far South West around Bantry.

It is a big improvement, but still not comparable with the Continent.
Maybe they do not get the Information from OSI.

I had problems with the miniSD which was shiped by Navigon (Not a very fast SD Card). It is sitting very loose in the Adapter, that resulted in a couple of corupted and lost files in MN6/Settings/ . I don't like these Adaptors at all. :x

I copied everything, the whole Europe map material, onto a fast (150x) SD card.
A second SD Card holds just the British Isles which I use constantly.

All this works fine for me....
:)
My Loox N560 programs
MN6,NERO Mobile,MobiPocket,Spb Backup
Spb Diary, PocketGenealogist V3

sjdigital

Postby sjdigital » Wed Jan 31, 2007 17:02

Thanks dublinrover. I must send off for the upgrade. I presume all the maps, i.e. continental Europe plus UK and Irl, fit on one 2 GB card? I currentlly have all my maps on one of these and I guess I can just swap them over.

dublinrover

Postby dublinrover » Wed Jan 31, 2007 19:21

There will be a Europe Map which includes the British Isles, so no hopping from one map to the other (just pick the country on the right top corner), or you can use just British Isles, or whatever cobination of maps you like.

When you use the shiped SD-Card I think all the Maps are on this card. British Isles and Europe_Map anyway. It installs MN6 the first time you start it.

If you have an Empty or partial empty SD-Card just use the Installer from the Navigon CD which creates the combination of maps which suits you. You go through a wizard. The System also tells you if the SD-Card has enough space left for any map configuration.
It creates 3 directories from the root. Not very nice ....

Again, when you then insert the card the first time it will install MN6. If MN6 is already on your PDA it just goes through the License Input notion...

Be aware the Copy Process from the CD to the Card takes Ages!!!! :evil:

Forget your old maps I think they will anyway not work with MN6.

I am not sure, but I think all this should work the same on a N520.
My Loox N560 programs

MN6,NERO Mobile,MobiPocket,Spb Backup

Spb Diary, PocketGenealogist V3

sjdigital

Postby sjdigital » Wed Jan 31, 2007 20:19

Thanks again!

Looks like it's a worthwhile upgrade especially for the additional east European maps.

mjcoon

Re: Navigon MN 6 on N520

Postby mjcoon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:38

sjdigital wrote:Anybody upgraded to MN6 on their N520 yet? It looks like an excellent deal at GBP100 for software plus full European maps.

Since I don't drive anywhere but the UK it sounds a lot of money just for the upgrade. How does MN6 differ from the MN5 that came with my N500?

Mike.

sjdigital

Postby sjdigital » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:21

I noticed yesterday that MN6 is now available as a download from the Navigon site for £69.99 which represents a substantial savng over the previous price of £100 for a version supplied on a memory card.

sjdigital

Postby sjdigital » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23

I've just installed MN6 on my N520 and it seems to be very sluggish! Has anyone else noticed this when upgrading from MN5? The N520 is relatively low power so that may be the problem, or might it be my memory card? I'm using a PNY brand that worked fine with MN5 but might it be too slow for the larger maps? I have installed the programme in system memory, not on the SD card.

Anyone able to share their experience of a similar upgrade?

sjdigital

Postby sjdigital » Mon Mar 05, 2007 23:10

OK, I compared a San Disk card with the PNY one and there is no difference in speed. I also tried installing the MN|6 software on the SD card rather than in system memory. The results are no different: it takes 45 seconds from the Navigon splash screen appears until it disappears and there is the highway code/traffic regulations safety warning that has to be accepted before progressing to the loaded programme. That takes about another 10 seconds.

So it takes about one minute to load the software fully. I'm also having problems with my GPS receiver which is very slow to lock on to the satellites and frequently drops the signal. It had started to do that before I installed MN|6 so I don't think it's related to that.

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”