[M3438] SEVERE graphics hardware fault !!

Moderator: ModTeam

StudioMusician

[M3438] SEVERE graphics hardware fault !!

Postby StudioMusician » Sun Jan 21, 2007 14:02

Purchased a M3438G in September 2005 from new, so I've had it little over a year. It has been working fine up until two days ago where the laptop LCD screen automatically turned black during use and needed forceably resetting via powering down.

After rebooting, the graphics on-screen was shown to be completely garbled, but the problem has seemed to have gone much deeper and has affected even the BIOS and DOS startup sequence.

It's easier to show photos, as they're more descriptive:-

^ Above shows the F8 boot menu, which shows corrupt characters. As is the Operating System menu below:

The Microsoft "welcome" screen is displayed something like this:

... followed by:

Once the OS is "loaded" the main Windows desktop looks like this:

Which, obviously, is utterly unusable. However, I found booting into "Safe Mode" in Windows works fine and uninstalling the nVidia graphics drivers in this way also allows you to at least boot into the main/normal Windows desktop afterwards, but it's very slow at updating the screen as the CPU takes over all graphics duties. Thus I'm led to believe it's GPU related, but not sure why DOS and BIOS would still be affected.

Using DOS, such as checking the hard-disk (as shown above), results in corrupt characters, as shown below:-

Attempting to carry out a full Windows re-install doesn't cure the problem, either, and the characters within DOS are still garbled, so it's certainly not a driver issue:-

Booting into the BIOS gives dotted/stripes in some of the displayed layers of graphics, too.

I guess the GPU is kaput. I'm guessing it has been due to a defective temperature/heat issue as when playing 3D games occasionally the whole computer used to cut out after 30mins of gaming. The noise of the fan also seemed to ramp up overly quickly too. This is in England during winter time, with a room temperature of about 18°C at most, so there's no ambient stress placed on it.

Furthermore, the access to the fan has ALWAYS been kept very clear and completely clean (no dust or fluff), the laptop is even propped up an inch or two on all four corners to allow better airflow underneath, and I'm not a hard core gamer so don't drive it hard in that aspect so much.

Does anyone know exactly what the problem could be, and if it is a GPU issue why the DOS and BIOS are affected too? Where do I send the laptop for repair (LaptopsDirect.co.uk , or Fujitsu, or another?) and what are the cost implications in getting something like this fixed, as well as any insurance and posting aspects?

The computer is otherwise in perfect condition, there's not a scratch on it as it's been exceptionally well looked after and cared for. I'm absolutely gutted.

Thanks kindly for any info anyone could perhaps give. I couldn't find an email for Fujitsu Support, and it's easier to display pictures this way.

Tim (StudioMusician)

Fujitsu M3438G
2 x 512mb DDR2 RAM
256mb GeForce Go 6800
Last edited by StudioMusician on Mon Jul 02, 2007 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Bluehair

Postby Bluehair » Sun Jan 21, 2007 15:45

Hello,

If possible, try to connect an external monitor. If your graphics card is the culprit, the same corrupted graphics will show up on it too; if not, then your video cable might have gotten loose at one end, probably that that is closer to the right hinge; at this place, the video cable translates to a thin compact set of wires and ends with a connector, this one being connected to the motherboard through a socket; there is an opening behind the plastic covering the right hinge. I changed the LCD screen of an Amilo M7424 last week, soI know a fair bit how things are done behind the plastics.

As for random shutdowns, I never experienced any and yet my CPU is a PM780. It goes pretty hot in games like F.E.A.R., often closing 90°C but never did my 3438 crash for all that. Maybe the thermal compound between your CPU and the heatsink is not effective enough. When I upgraded my CPU, I replaced it with some Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease which has a pretty good reputation as a thermal conductor.

A graphics card replacement would cost you about 450€ from Fujitsu-Siemens. If you were looking for a new one, I suggest you first contact the guy from MXM-Upgrade who goes by the handle of Ice-Tea. He also runs his forum at LaptopVideo2Go. I know someone who will receive a 7900GS from him within two weeks because he mistakenly made a hole in his graphics card with the famous "KB" screw (it's longer than the others); he has a 3438 too.

Good luck.

jingo2000

3438g

Postby jingo2000 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:09

I would try it with external screen connected first to rule things out.

Is it the same when in the bios?

Also have you tried flashing the Video card to the latest Official Nvidia Bios to see if that makes any difference?. Have a look on Laptopvideo2go.

I have the same model and like you always use it with cooling, purchased a 20 quid cooler from play which keeps it very nice and cool.

You say you can get into safemode, are you able to run a GPU test which tells you how fast the fan is running if at all?

Jingo

maillme

Postby maillme » Tue Jan 23, 2007 15:50

Could My Problem be relating to this "kb" screw ?!?!?! What exactly is it?

Neil

StudioMusician

Postby StudioMusician » Thu Jan 25, 2007 18:07

Thanks for all the replies. unfortunately I don't have a 2nd monitor to test the output of the graphics card.

Tried pretty much everything else, re-installing the latest and/or older known stable graphics drivers, using system restore/rollback, re-installing Windows from scratch, restoring the system OS using the manufacturer's bundled CD, restoring the system from my own previous Ghost images, re-flashing the system BIOS, re-flashing the GPU BIOS, checking all the disks, formatting them (good job I kept ALL of my data, programs cache and backup files on several external HDs. I use the laptop as a dual-OS system only)....

In the last two days I used the computer it was completely random when the screen went blank (forcing a hardware reset/reboot). One minute I was writing an email, or surfing the web, the next the screen went blank but the computer stayed on. I toggled the laptop's power button (which automatically initiates the windows software shutdown procedure) and the HD display lights lit to show it was doing something but then it would just hang, necessitating a hardware power-off (pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds).

Puzzled, I switched the laptop back on, rebooted and everything was fine for the rest of that day. The next day it happened a second time again out of the blue, but upon rebooting this time I noticed all the garbled graphics and DOS text, and the Windows graphics were completely and utterly buggered. I certainly didn't notice the fan being audible when the screen went blank each time, it's a nicely quiet laptop unless you're gaming, most likely thanks to the Pentium M.

Regards (completely separate and unrelated) shutdowns related to GPU/CPU heat, if I didn't play games on it (latterly) the laptop would (and could) normally have stayed on indefinately, if desired. However, if I switched on a 3D game (like TrackMania Nations the whole computer occasionally switched off automatically after about 1hr or more without any warning or glitches leading up to it - this happened on just three separate occasions since I had the laptop. Previously, it has always been good for several hours of gaming and had been fine for all the times I used it in the past since buying it, although I'm not a big gamer and don't play for long each time. Yes the fan did ramp up when gaming, as it did do during the times when it auto switched off too, but I assumed the ramping up of the fan was normal during gaming as modern games are quite graphics intensive and modern PCIe graphics cards need cooling down.

I have the laptop raised on blocks, and the air vent + exhaust completely clean and free, so it wasn't like I have it on a bed, sofa or my knees with the vents blocked, and neither have I overclocked it (I have no desire to, as the gaming graphics are already brilliant).

The real shitter is that it came with a 1yr warranty, so it's 3 months out of it now. Should they still accept it back under 'good cause'?

Am absolutely gutted because I've looked after it so well, and it otherwise did everything I wanted.

Thanks kindly =/

Tim

PS > Does anyone have an email for UK Fujitsu Support? I can't find anything at all on their site.

Birgit
Product(s): Amilo Mini , LIFEBOOK P7230, ESPRIMO Mobile X9526, CELSIUS H230, SCENICVIEW P22

Postby Birgit » Thu Jan 25, 2007 23:40

Hi,

please use the technischer.support@fujitsu-siemens.com.

I think the colleagues will forward your mail to the english-speaking colleagues.

Regards
Birgit

marcus i

Postby marcus i » Wed Feb 14, 2007 15:12

I have the exact same problem, and am also just out of warranty. How have you got on StudioMusician since you last posted in this thread? Is there a solution to this? I think it might be the graphics card but i pray it isnt because it would cost a fortune to deal with

StudioMusician

Postby StudioMusician » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:30

Hi Marcus, you really have the same problem? Are you getting the same jumbled letters in the DOS, too? Which symptoms do you have?

Also, where are you based? Where did you get your laptop from?

Here's my current status:

Firstly, it is definately a hardware fault.

Secondly, I still haven't been able to ascertain which part of the computer is faulty (either the graphics card or mainboard). If it were merely a graphics card problem alone I'm not sure why this would be affecting DOS and the BIOS too.

Thirdly, Fujitsu UK want £100 just to inspect the laptop. :shock: Any repair work and additional labour will, of course, be extra, so if a new GPU, mainboard, CPU, or a combination of those needs to be fitted I have a feeling it's going to be very expensive!

Therefore at this current stage I am not sending the laptop to Fujitsu. I believe it is wholly unreasonable to pay £1200 for a laptop which lasts just over a year with careful use, and as such is not fit for purpose. Instead, I am seeking legal advice.

zoleegee

Postby zoleegee » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:20

I had the same problem. As far as I remembered, I also bought it with 1 year warranty. I called FSC support, they asked for serial number, and said that may warranty lasts until 2007 nov. (I shopped mine nov. 2005). They replaced the malfunctioning graphic module. in just 2 weeks.
I was quite happy for a while, but now the laptop just freezes occasionally whether I play or surfing the net or watching movies. I've tried all kind of different drivers, starting from scratch. It's the same with all FSC factory drivers as well...
Another thing! Since it got back from service, I can't read the S.M.A.R.T. info from one of the hard drives, and temperature either.
I'm totally lost... I have a nice laptop, but I can only look at it.

StudioMusician

Postby StudioMusician » Mon Feb 19, 2007 17:01

Hi, did your computer also have the jumbled DOS text, too? And replacing the graphics card cured this?

If so, it appears I'm not alone and that this is an inherent defect with this laptop.

Like you, I rang Fujitsu UK warranty help desk, giving them my serial number which allowed them to obtain all of the details of the laptop. They didn't at any time suggest my warranty was longer than one year and therefore I would have to pay to resolve the problem, which is why I'm seeking a legal route.

Zoleegee, I would also suggest you return your laptop if you're having further problems, especially while you are still apparently within the warranty period.

zoleegee

Postby zoleegee » Mon Feb 19, 2007 17:17

Yes, I had the same garbled text in DOS mode also, they replaced the graphic card.
I am returning it this week, but I'm afraid they won't fix it.
I am already dissapointed. I have a 4 years old HP P4 laptop as well, it's almost falling apart, dropped it a few times, still works like an angel.

marcus i

Postby marcus i » Tue Feb 20, 2007 18:32

well i haven't phoned fujitsu I contacted their technical support through the email link given in a post above but they simply replied with a list of phone numbers to ring. I will phone to check if my computer is still in warranty and yes studiomusician my problem is EXACTLY the same as yours! Still searching for a solution to this problem which has made my laptop an expensive brick!!

StudioMusician

Postby StudioMusician » Wed Feb 21, 2007 15:39

Thanks for posting back. It's of relief that I am not alone with the problem, but it's not great that it's a common one. It has to be some sort of inherent serious hardware defect with this particular laptop.

Where are you guys based? Where did you buy your laptops?

I'm based in the UK, and bought my laptop from Laptops Direct.

I have sought legal advice (from the Citizen's Advice Bureau, Trading Standards, and the UK Government body Consumer Direct) and am just about to carry out legal proceedings. I will certainly let you know what transpires.

zoleegee

Postby zoleegee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 15:57

I live in Hungary, but I bought my laptop in Sweden, while living and working there, in a computer store. I brought it to service here in Hungary, they were nice and friendly.
Still, I have this freezing thing going on, despite all my efforts to solve it or figure out what the problem might be, I think I'll have to bring it back, hoping I'll have a perfect laptop as it was for a while.
I think, that the cooling of this laptop is just insufficient or undersized. That could be the reason, that after a while different parts will be broken.
You should get FSC to admit it. I don't think you'll get any refund, but it worth a try.

marcus i

Postby marcus i » Fri Feb 23, 2007 19:32

I am also based in the UK just outside london (watford). I brought the laptop from selfridges, I am certainly interested to hear you are taking legal proceedings and am tempted to follow suit!

Return to “AMILO Notebook”