Why can't I buy a Core 2 Duo-based Celsius H240 in the UK?

Moderator: ModTeam

Joovilhar

Why can't I buy a Core 2 Duo-based Celsius H240 in the UK?

Postby Joovilhar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 19:28

I have been at my wit's end trying to find a Core 2 Duo (preferably 2.33GHz) based Celsius H240 workstation, despite it being launched about half a year ago. The older Core Duo versions are all over the place, but I don't want to buy a new notebook with obsolete technology inside. I do not understand why the Core 2 Duo versions are so difficult to find!

Memory I don't really care about (I want 2GB, but I'm prepared to buy that separately), hard disc should be 100-120GB (but that's not too important as I can replace that also), and the CPU should be a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo (but at a stretch I'd settle for a 2.00GHz Core 2 Duo). I want a UK keyboard.

At a stretch, I'd be prepared to buy a 2GHz model from Germany and buy a UK keyboard to be fitted by a Fujitsu-Siemens authorised repair centre. However, actually finding information about FJC SKUs is about as difficult as getting blood out of a stone.

Either I'm missing something really obvious, or the head of the Marketing department should be sent to Japan to explain themselves, in no less than ten separate boxes.

What would happen if I weren't so keen on buying this model? Is FJC actually in the business of selling notebooks, or does it just pretend to? If I ran a company and make it so difficult to get hold of parts (when the competition makes it so easy by comparison), I would not expect to stay in business for very long. In fact, I'm amazed that you're still in the notebook market.

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Fri Jan 12, 2007 20:07

Here's one with T7400 CPU.

Birgit
Product(s): Amilo Mini , LIFEBOOK P7230, ESPRIMO Mobile X9526, CELSIUS H230, SCENICVIEW P22

Postby Birgit » Sat Jan 13, 2007 19:29

Joovilhar

Postby Joovilhar » Mon Jan 15, 2007 14:36

Fantastic! Thanks, guys. :)

I do have one question, though: Why is the T7400 the only Core 2 Duo version available on the FSC UK store, though? I found an SPEC speed report for the H240 running on a T7600, so evidently one exists - but why is it not being marketed or made available to buy? Apparently the hardware is supposed to have been available since October, but my latest searches have turned up very little. Typically a Google search for H240 and T7600 actually hits pages with other manufacturers' T7600-based laptops, and older (typically Core Duo) based H240s being listed on the same page. Very disappointing.

SPEC link here: http://www.spec.org/cpu/results/res2006 ... -07861.pdf

Looking at the Zero One computer store link, they only just added the T7400-based H240 to their list less than a week ago. Does this mean the Core 2 Duo-based H240 is just becoming available to buy now, about nine months after it was announced at CeBIT?

Joovilhar

Postby Joovilhar » Mon Jan 29, 2007 16:59

Another reference (this time on FSC's own site) :

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products ... _h240.html

This product clearly exists, but where can I buy one with these specifications? Does anyone have any idea what the SKU is for the T7600-based H240 used for these benchmarks?

Or is it really just a paper product for meaningless comparison purposes? :?

Return to “CELSIUS Mobile Workstations”