Low frequency disturbing sounds!!!

Moderator: ModTeam

cris2d2

Low frequency disturbing sounds!!!

Postby cris2d2 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 13:33

I have an Amilo D1845. In the past five or six months, I've noticed something really annoying. I hear some low frequency sounds in my speaker woofer. I tested the laptop on other sound systems, 2.1 and 5.1, and the noise was present there too. Other people are confirming these sounds when they are near a sound system connected to my laptop.

Exactly, there is a continuous low frequency noise, even if there is no sound played from computer, it's suficient to have a sound system connected to the audio-out and the noise is there. At first, it seemed like a noise from the hard drive, I noticed that in the moment the hard drive was working the sound was present, but now the noise is permanent. I don't know what to do, it's so annoying, especialy that I don't use high volume on my system speakers.

Does anyone experiences these issues with their laptops?

cris2d2

Postby cris2d2 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 23:15

I can't believe i am the only one that get such an annoying behaviour... :(

Matz

Postby Matz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:47

There is probably a bad filtering component (usualy an electrolytic capacitor), either on sound or on power "modules".
BAFTA!

cris2d2

Re:

Postby cris2d2 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:17

Matz wrote:There is probably a bad filtering component (usualy an electrolytic capacitor), either on sound or on power "modules".
BAFTA!

Yeah, maybe... I think I should take it to a "doctor" :( I can't figure it out which component could be. An electronist maybe... Mersi!

Matz

Postby Matz » Mon Dec 11, 2006 21:49

Pentru că mai mulţi prieteni mi-au semnalat acest fenomen, am făcut un pic de "cercetare". Concluzia este că atunci când alimentatorul laptop-ului are fişă cu pământare la priza de curent, apare fenomenul de "buclă de masă" care generează zgomotul din boxe. Rezolvarea e simplă - foloseşte un ştecher fără pământare ori o priză fără pământare.

In english, the solution only: for laptop power adapter use a power outlet without ground contacts or insulate them, otherwise an effect called "ground (mass) loop" will take place.
This solution only apply if the noise doesn't appear when the laptop is opperated on battery!

kwaq

Postby kwaq » Sun Dec 24, 2006 16:48

Also, you may try decreasing volume setting in the Windows mixer and in the laptop itself; it is known that amplifiers make distortions when operating at high volume levels
FSC Lifebook E6595 PIII M 850MHz, 256 MB, ATI M4 16MB, HDD 20GB, _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A; and an original FSC mini RF mouse ;P

cris2d2

Re:

Postby cris2d2 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 19:22

Matz wrote:Pentru că mai mulţi prieteni mi-au semnalat acest fenomen, am făcut un pic de "cercetare". Concluzia este că atunci când alimentatorul laptop-ului are fişă cu pământare la priza de curent, apare fenomenul de "buclă de masă" care generează zgomotul din boxe. Rezolvarea e simplă - foloseşte un ştecher fără pământare ori o priză fără pământare.

Wow, thank you very much, this solved my problem in a second. I never listen to music on my laptop when it's running on battery, only now I tried this and the low noise stopped. I fixed the problem connecting the plug from ac-adapter to a non-grounded power outlet. Thank you again. :D

cris2d2

Re:

Postby cris2d2 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 19:37

kwaq wrote:Also, you may try decreasing volume setting in the Windows mixer and in the laptop itself; it is known that amplifiers make distortions when operating at high volume levels

The annoying low frequency noise i got was present even at a low software volume setting. I don't think audio hardware in a laptop is inferior to those present on a desktop mother board. It could be "distorted" by other means, like ground loops, as is previous post by Matz, interferences in construction of laptops (from hdd by example).

Speaking of interferences, my model of laptop is known not to support a particular model of cardbus tv tuners, simply because there is interference between tuner and laptop components. It's a pitty.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”