[Scenic 510 (not AGP) ] Installed 98SE, blinking cursor prob

Moderator: ModTeam

frankiepankie

[Scenic 510 (not AGP) ] Installed 98SE, blinking cursor prob

Postby frankiepankie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 15:51

Hello,
I have a Siemens Mobile 5xx Scenic 510 (not AGP)
I have bought it without a HDD. My dad has found a 30GB IBM TravelStar disk for it, i installed that. Installed Dynamic Drive Overlay software so the BIOS recognise it and i can boot from it. I have installed 98SE on it, using an other laptop (my laptop doesn't have CD-ROM drive). I have turned off 98SE setup at the point he is rebooting.

I have installed the disk back into my own laptop, and now i see the 98SE booting logo, some text (C:COMMAND.COM loaded), another boot logo and then it stops booting (hangs at a screen with a blinking cursor, or a totaly black screen :roll:

I have read at Microsoft KB that the problem could be fixed if you set some Cache settings in the BIOS to "Write Trough" I did that, it didn't helped :(

I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version.

P.S: The 98 install boots fine on the other laptop :roll:
Somebody that can help me out?

frankiepankie

Postby frankiepankie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 14:53

Kick up post :oops:

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Thu Sep 21, 2006 15:32

Hmm... did you install Win98SE by placing HDD, that is supposed to go into Scenic 510, into another laptop, and then placed that HDD (with installed Win98) back into Scenic 510?

If that is so, there is no wonder that it doesn't work, because during installation Windows installs system specific drivers, and I presume your second laptop is not Scenic 510.

I understand that placing CD drive from one laptop to another is more bothersome (I'm not sure but I think the CD-ROM drive interfaces in the laptops should match), but should not you be able to install Win98 by copying the installation CD into HDD, and then running Windows setup from the HDD?.. Perhaps you can try that, or Google for it, and see how(if) it works...

frankiepankie

Postby frankiepankie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 16:02

I have run the setup at the other laptop, but i stopped it at the point it want's to reboot (if it has rebooted then you have the next phase where it says: "Recognizing hardware and installing hardware"

So the setup continues at the point where it is going to recognize hardware, but at that point the HD is already back in my own laptop, so it recognizes the Scenic 510 hardware :).

The CD-ROM drive doesn't fit in the Scenic 510, because the other laptop is a IBM ThinkPad and IBM uses a other connector.

And copying 98 to the HD is a little bit difficult because i don't know how to copy the complete CD to the HDD, i can copy some folders with "XCOPY" but i don't know how to transfer all folders. (I can copy al the folders, but i don't know how to copy the separate files that are on the root of the CD)

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Thu Sep 21, 2006 18:25

I used Win98 too long ago to remeber about it too much, so perhaps you are right about your technique... :)

About copying CD to HDD, you have Windows installed on the second laptop, right? There's no need to use DOS commands for copying, if that is so. You can use Explorer or a some other file manager, look at Servant Salamander in my signature.

frankiepankie

Re:

Postby frankiepankie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 18:30

shtraue wrote:I used Win98 too long ago to remeber about it too much, so perhaps you are right about your technique... :)

About copying CD to HDD, you have Windows installed on the second laptop, right? There's no need to use DOS commands for copying, if that is so. You can use Explorer or a some other file manager, look at Servant Salamander in my signature.

Ok i am going to try that, if that doesn't work, what can i do then?

Tryed it, installation goes very slowly (estimated installation time: 414 minutes) but it also crashes with some rare errors. I did a knoppix Hd installation on a other laptop, that works perfect :roll:

Somebody an idea what is happening?

frankiepankie

Kick

Postby frankiepankie » Sun Sep 24, 2006 14:47

Kick

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Mon Sep 25, 2006 13:30

No more ideas about Win98...
I did a knoppix Hd installation on a other laptop, that works perfect

So you have something installed on your CDROM'less laptop :)
Knoppix is good enough replacement for Win98, IMHO :) Here's a thread to trying install latest Ubuntu from HDD, if you would want to use more mainstream Linux.

frankiepankie

Postby frankiepankie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 14:27

Hmmz, i have a OS right now, but i don't like linux very much because it is extremely difficult to install my PCMCIA WiFi Card, and installing software is a pain.

I have tryed to install win2k (i like that OS very much). But that stops with "NTLDR is missing"

Tryed this floppy: http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/fi ... issing.htm

But that works very weird, i can only select the first option :?:

I have upgraded the BIOS when i bought the notebook, but i think that has messed something up. Anyone has a idea where i can find a older BIOS version?

You can also post a solution for installing the PCMCIA Wifi card, it is a OvisLink Airlive WL-1120PCM

Thanks guys :wink:

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Mon Sep 25, 2006 14:50

Probably the only way you might get older BIOS, is by contacting FSC. There's email link on your laptop support page, you might try it:

webmaster.support@fujitsu-siemens.com

I do not know other FSC emails.

frankiepankie

Postby frankiepankie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 15:06

I have send a mail to the webmaster where i aks if there is an older bios version :)

And does somebody know which version of Ubuntu is good for my laptop?
I have Ubuntu 6.06 LTS but that distro is way to heavy.
I don't like linux very much but if that's the only option......

Another question: I am thinking about the problem that Windows OSses are acting weird on my laptop, Then i thought, why is this happening? The original OS of the laptop is Win 98, but why is it doing so weird that i can't install any Windows OS? Linux is going fine :?:

Grtz frank

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Mon Sep 25, 2006 15:38

These are some popular light Linux distros:

Xubuntu
VectorLinux

and some even more lighter distros:

Puppy Linux
Damn Small Linux

frankiepankie

<>

Postby frankiepankie » Mon Sep 25, 2006 15:48

Ok, they are 2 nice linux distro's but i still reside with the problem of the hardware recognizing. I have a page where things about the Scenic 510 + Linux are explained:

http://www.lug-marl.de/marl/mobile510/mobile510.html

But i still prefer Windows because its simplicity :oops:

frankiepankie

Good news...

Postby frankiepankie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:58

Installed 2000 on the HDD, but then i get the error: NTLDR is missing.

Downloaded this boot disk: http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

And i can boot into Windows 2000, i have copied the boot.ini and other files but i still don't want to boot from HDD :(

I can use my laptop :D
I can't boot without floppy, but that's not a real problem

frankiepankie

Postby frankiepankie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 18:28

Return to “SCENIC Mobile”