CARD reader for Scenic

Moderator: ModTeam

advid

CARD reader for Scenic

Postby advid » Wed Sep 20, 2006 14:23

..just brought a s/h Scenic E600 from eBay for use by my kids....

Can I put a card reader on the front for SD cards ??? If so please give model number required or more info... I know I can plug an external USB card reader into the front panel but I like to keep it 'neat'..... no extra cables...

ALSO its got 512g RAM -- -what ram/type/ do I need to upgrade to 1G... ???

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Wed Sep 20, 2006 15:19

This is what your system looks like, right? So I guess you do not have a floppy drive, if you want card reader in front, or you will remove the floppy drive, well anyway here you can see internal card readers, and you need reader with 3.5 dimensions, for it to fit instead of floppy drive.

As I can see, the readers are connected via USB interface, so you need to make sure to know how will you connect it (last I owned a desktop system it was about 6 years ago, since then - only noteboks, so I do not know if in modern systems there are internal USB ports or something).

About RAM, you can check vendors here:

Kingston
Crucial
MemoryStock

It's best to choose PC3200 memory. If you would like to add memory, that is to add another 512MB to your existing memory, you need to make sure that only 1 of your existing 2 memory slots is occupied (perhaps you have both slots occupied by two 256MB chips), and then you need to make sure that you buy type of memory that matches your existing one, that is PC2700 or PC3200 (I'm not sure about other RAM properties though). So its easier just to buy 1GB RAM chip or two new 512MB chips, and forget what you have in your PC now :)

dclowes

Postby dclowes » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:18

there are many makes of card readers that fit into a 3.5 or 5.5 inch drive bay ........ so long as you have one spare. These connect to the motherboard so you will have to check your board to make sure you have a connection.

To be honest you are better off buying a card reader stick that plugs into a usb - it would be a lot cheaper and you could swap it between computers

have a look here

http://search.ebay.co.uk/card-reader_W0 ... 9QQfromZR8

as for memory - just make sure you have an additional dimm slot free on your motherboard and buy a matching pair to the one you already have. Open the case and see what make your existing stick is. The model, speed, etc will be written on it and mail order one off the web.

Return to “SCENIC”