N560 GPS problem

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

nikoska

Postby nikoska » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:06

- The software i use is DestinatorPN and i believe that it isn't buggy since it ir working well with other GPS devices.

- The big problem here is that FSC support does not answer. Nothing...

nikoska

Postby nikoska » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:33

15/9/06: Still no answer from FSC support...

bejay

Postby bejay » Fri Sep 15, 2006 13:36

Sorry, for my question, but I'm a bit confused.

Did you already contact the FSC support with your problem?

Or do you wait for an answer of FSC support in this forum?
I think, this forum is a platform for users to communicate with other users ("users helping users as mentioned on the entrance page").

If I would need an answer from FSC, I would contact them directly, then they must answer.

aml

GPS Problems

Postby aml » Tue Sep 19, 2006 14:56

I have been following the dialogue on the "GPS Problem" and can advise that from my own investigations, the real problem lies with TomTom and how they control the GPS.

Having initially believed all that I read, I then compared the N560 with my Mio168 and found no difference in the times taken to acquire. It is true that if you use third party applications to tweak the GPS chipset directly, you can increase acquisition times but the reality is that until TomTom improve their GPS module, you will continue to have problems.

By the way, I also used Memory Map to prove my theory. I am also suspicious of the Microsoft GPS control function (not used by TomTom anyway).

Hope the above helps. I can certainly state that I am more than happy with the N560 and do not believe there is an inherent problem. Try Navigon and see! :D

mjcoon

Postby mjcoon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 16:34

I concur with many of the previous posts. I haven't got any two programs to use the GPS port simultaneously despite the GPS-settings suggesting that this is possible. But as already suggested that may be because all the programs demand exclusive access. The same problem is often seen with programs that access read-only files and should be able to share but don't.

At least GPS-dash will disconnect from the GPS and allow other programs access without having to exit.

My question is: I have tried Pocket Streets (despite my N500 having Navigon; I don't want to buy all of Europe just for curiosity) but find that it cannot read GPS at all. Other programs have no problem. Any hints out there?

Mike.

aml

GPS Problems

Postby aml » Tue Sep 19, 2006 16:40

Mjcoon,

I do not believe that any current programs utilise the Mobile 5 GPS interface hence the fact that you cannot have multiple programs sharing the GPS.

On your question regarding Pocket Streets, I will try and let you know what I find.

aml

mjcoon

Re: GPS Problems

Postby mjcoon » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:13

aml wrote:On your question regarding Pocket Streets, I will try and let you know what I find.

aml

Hi aml, I have found a (partial) answer to my question on a different forum altogether (<http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6807>). Have not tried it yet. I shall report back.

Mike.

aml

GPS Problems

Postby aml » Wed Sep 20, 2006 13:03

Looks like it is as simple as Pocket Streets needs to be set at 4800 baud.

Good luck.

aml

TomasLizner

How to start winfast and TomTom in a batch?

Postby TomasLizner » Sun Oct 08, 2006 20:16

Hi,

because it looks like than the only possible way how to use GPS navigation on LOOX N560 and not to become mad is:

1) run WinFast navigator
2) configure & send command
3) wait until satelites are found
4) close app
5) run & use navigation software (e.g. TomTom)

I want to ask you whether you do not know about any way how to automatize it (Winfast must use some API and maybe somebody has already created some batch that is applying the steps above. It would be very usefull and it would help to other family members (e.g. wife) to use navgitaion on N560.

Thank you.

Tomáš Lízner

zpintar

Re: How to start winfast and TomTom in a batch?

Postby zpintar » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:30

TomasLizner wrote:Hi,

because it looks like than the only possible way how to use GPS navigation on LOOX N560 and not to become mad is:

1) run WinFast navigator
2) configure & send command
3) wait until satelites are found
4) close app
5) run & use navigation software (e.g. TomTom)

I want to ask you whether you do not know about any way how to automatize it (Winfast must use some API and maybe somebody has already created some batch that is applying the steps above. It would be very usefull and it would help to other family members (e.g. wife) to use navgitaion on N560.

Thank you.

Tomáš Lízner

Simply, buy the FC External GPS Antenna for N560 and all your satellite fix problems will be the part of past!

bye zarko

(I bought one, so I know what I'm speaking)

alanatno4

Postby alanatno4 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:53

Re:
"Simply, buy the FC External GPS Antenna for N560 and all your satellite fix problems will be the part of past! "

So are we saying that the internal GPS antenna in the LOOX N5xx is no good ?

If that is the case why do programs like Winfast Navigator find satellites with a very short TTFF - wheras TomTom Navigator is rubbish at getting a short TTFF, unless some other program has done it first ?

zpintar

Re:

Postby zpintar » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:29

alanatno4 wrote:Re:
"Simply, buy the FC External GPS Antenna for N560 and all your satellite fix problems will be the part of past! "

So are we saying that the internal GPS antenna in the LOOX N5xx is no good ?

If that is the case why do programs like Winfast Navigator find satellites with a very short TTFF - wheras TomTom Navigator is rubbish at getting a short TTFF, unless some other program has done it first ?

In my case the Winfast Navigator make a fix for the same time like others (i-GO, or VisualGPSCe or SirfTech). The story about winfast navigator is very strange because the alghoritms for make a fix is in the hardware firmware (in Sirf chipset itself!) and it is not a software depend.
Software can change SIRF parameters if it working in SIRF protocol (DOP mask, elevation mask or power mask, can delete amanac or emph data from chipset's RAM or make a reset of GPS chipset) Maybe TomTom do something of that.

Try this test. Make a fix with Winfast Navigator at the morning on the first location. After that do not using GPS. At the evening go to second location (distance from first not less than 1-2 km) and try winfast navigator again.
(If you have less than 3 satellites with signal strength more than 28 dB the fixation will fail!) try...

bye zarko
Last edited by zpintar on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:38, edited 2 times in total.

alanatno4

Postby alanatno4 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:33

Re:
"hardware firmware (in Sirf chipset itself!) and it is not a software depend."

But TomTom Navigator and Winfast Navigator (in my case) don't use the Sirf chipset - they are set us the NMIA protocol ?

zpintar

Re:

Postby zpintar » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:47

alanatno4 wrote:Re:
"hardware firmware (in Sirf chipset itself!) and it is not a software depend."

But TomTom Navigator and Winfast Navigator (in my case) don't use the Sirf chipset - they are set us the NMIA protocol ?

Try WinfastNavigator, VisualGPSCE and SirfTech and compare this softwares.

Maybe TomTom has some bugs...
Baudrate, of course can not be a reason for slow fixation. (9600 is default for N560)
Before external antenna I spend more tha 6-8 minutes to get fix with max of 3-4 satellites from my car. From roof windows of my house I got 5-6 satellites in fix. With external antena I get 4-5 satellites in fix in first minute, and in next one to two 7-9 satellites in fix. + EGNOS. All of satellites has signal more than 32 dB to 45 dB. Please write to me strengths of your satellites in dB.

bye

zymmer

Possible solution

Postby zymmer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 13:18

Hi all,
I have been testing a possible workaround for this problem with no need for other application to be installed...we (some other spanish guys from a PDA web forum) have been testing it and seems its working...

After testing the "standard" way of working of TomTom and n560 GPS compared with pre-installed "GPS Locator" i thought that the problem was the way our GPS sends the data to TomTom and how its algorithm uses them...GPS Locator is fast, at least as fast as any other Bluetooth receiver, while TomTom is deadly slow...so, why not combining them??

I think TomTom is primary designed to receive "plain" coordenates and not to make calculations...And there is a way to make it work this way:

1) Set the software port for GPS at COM9 (Start->Settings->System->GPS). By default this is configured as "none".

2) Configure TomTom to use COM9 instead of COM8.

3) Open GPS Locator. THIS IS MANDATORY. Otherwise, TomTom will NOT be able to start GPS Hardware (will remain in "No GPS" State). This is also useful if you wanna make an "advance planification" without GPS signal since you will save battery (i always make this before a trip, just in case the GPS fails...).

4) Inmediately after, open TomTom (no need to wait till Locator fixes). TT will access the Software port that is controlled by Locator, avoiding slow TomTom calculations.

This way we are "emulating" an external GPS receiver, which offers final coordinates instead of positioning data, dramatically decreasing the fixing time (even after days of not using GPS).

I have also deactivated Static Navigation using MMSirf ("Pedestrian use") that its also activated by default, because it also increases the fixing time if you are standing in the street...

Any comment will be welcomed!!!

Cheers,
Zymmer.

PD: I also agree that something strange happens between TT and our n560 GPS, and FS MUST give some kind of official explanation and/or workaround....

PD2: I will try this workaround with WinFast below instead of Locator....

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”