External graphics card on a SCENIC P300

Moderator: ModTeam

apomyzitis

External graphics card on a SCENIC P300

Postby apomyzitis » Fri Aug 11, 2006 15:19

Hi,

I am trying to create a dual-screen environment for a user on a SCENIC P300 SIS661 MI2W-D1761 with a D1761 motherboard. The obvious question is 'why bother' but for the time being let's suppose he actually needs it.

The problem is that after installing an external AGP card the OS (WinXP pro) and BIOS would only see that. If I uninstalled it then it would revert back to the onboard one.

I tried looking the BIOS for an option to use both onboard and external graphic cards but couldn't find anything. I have even tried updating the BIOS.

So, any ideas? Is it possible to do that at all or that's a hardcoded deficiency?

Thank you in advance,
Kostas

mbnsve

Postby mbnsve » Fri Aug 11, 2006 15:28

As far as I know, this isn't possible due to the fact that the internal VGA uses the same resources as the AGP port. If the user needs dual screen setup, it would be easier to just insert a graphic card that have two DVI/VGA connections, or one DVI and one VGA.

apomyzitis

Postby apomyzitis » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:12

Thank you for your reply. I have a newer PC (P5600 - SiS 761) to try that on but I dont think anything will change?

Cheers,
Kostas

dclowes

Postby dclowes » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:39

you cant do it with the method you are trying.

What you need to do is get a graphics card that suports dual monitors (ie has two outputs). Most modern cards have dual dvi outputs on the back and then it is a simple operation of selecting whether you pan or have individual monitors attached to then - this is done under the driver settings screen in the display options. (of course you need 2 monitors :) )

apomyzitis

Postby apomyzitis » Tue Aug 15, 2006 15:48

OK, I got the message :oops:

Will do it like you propose...

(or install a PCI card :wink: )

Thank you for all your help!

Return to “SCENIC”