AMILO-D CY 23: upgrading some components

Moderator: ModTeam

Kaltsu

AMILO-D CY 23: upgrading some components

Postby Kaltsu » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:07

Hi all,

I have an old AMILO-D laptop. Currectly it has Celeron 1,2 GHz and 384 MB RAM-memory and a 40 GB hard drive. In the datasheet it says that 384 MB is the maximum that CY 23 supports, but I have heard that it seems to work well with 512 MB chip too. True or not?

I have also thought about upgrading the processor of my laptop. As I said, currectly it has Intel Celeron 1,2 GHz. I am planning to replace the Celeron with a Pentium III processor, but what is the highest speed that CY 23 supports? As far as I know, 1,4 GHz is the fastest Pentium III ever made, but does CY 23 support that? Also, do you think the difference is noticable if I replace the Celeron processor with Pentium III?

One last thing: the fan. The fan seems to be extremely loud and it is on almost all the time. Has anybody replaced the fan with a silent one? Or are there any tricks to make the original fan silent?

Oh, and also the BIOS. I have currectly BIOS version 1.30 installed (it's the newest version available through Fujitsu-Siemens download pages), but I have heard that there are also newer version available on some other sites. Is it true?

Kaltsu

Postby Kaltsu » Sat Jul 29, 2006 15:43

I would like to know, if CY 23 supports any Pentium III faster than 1,2 GHz or any Pentium III with more than 256 KB L2-cache. I would like to buy a Pentium III 1,4 GHz Tualatin processor with 512 KB of L2 cache, but I don't know if the laptop supports it. Anybody have information?

Also, I would like to know which is the fastest Pentium III you guys have tried on CY 23. Please answer, I have a bit hurry.

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Sat Jul 29, 2006 16:46

About BIOS. It seems that newest one is here, according to this conversation.

About RAM, please look here.

About CPU, I cannot tell exactly, and you should see about it with someone who can assist you at the repair shop or something, where notebook can be examined at hand. But take a look at this list here, you should choose CPU that mathes your current FSB, Voltage, TDP.

I only upgraded my HP notebook CPU once, and after upgrade to more powerfull CPU I needed to set lower voltage for CPU by RMClock, so that the fan would not be at its maximal speed all the time, after the upgrade.

Kaltsu

Postby Kaltsu » Sat Jul 29, 2006 19:39

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately the BIOS download link at the Compal website seems to be broken, so I can't download it.

About the CPU, I know Fujitsu-Siemens used to sell AMILO-D CY 23 with Pentium III 1,2 GHz, so I don't need to upgrade my Celeron CPU with another Celeron. So Pentium III 1,2 GHz works for sure, but I just want to know, if it's possible to use even faster Pentium III than 1,2 GHz, like 1,3 or 1,4 GHz for example.

I guess there are two kind of Pentium III 1,2 GHz available too, one with 256 KB of L2-cache and one with 512 KB of L2-cache. I would like to know if AMILO-D CY 23 supports the one with 512 KB.

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Sat Jul 29, 2006 20:17

I can download files from Compal without problems. I uploaded files to this place - BY23190A.zip and V220T2.zip.

Kaltsu

Re:

Postby Kaltsu » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:12

shtraue wrote:I can download files from Compal without problems. I uploaded files to this place - BY23190A.zip and V220T2.zip.

Oh, I can download thoes files from Compal site, but earlier I tried to download that file in the middle in the list "CY23%20BIOS.url", because I thought it was the BIOS file and that download doesn't work. But thank you very much anyway!

But anybody have any more information about the CPUs that CY 23 supports? I'm going to call Fujitsu-Siemens expensive phone support tomorrow, but I don't think they can help me either. But I'll try anyway...

shtraue

Postby shtraue » Sun Jul 30, 2006 15:05

The BIOS files are those two zip archives, but I do not know which one should you use. The "CY23%20BIOS.url" file has nothing to do with BIOS. So, have you upgraded yet BIOS, did it work?

I don't think you should phone Fujitsu-Siemens to talk over upgrading CPU, as I'm not sure they will be able or willing to tell you something meaningfull about it. Such has been my experience with other companies, which even told me that my CPU is soldered into motherboard, and there is no way to upgrade it, but this turned out not to be true. Well, maybe you'll have better luck, but I would have went to an experinced computer tehnician instead and take my notebook to him.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”