scenic c610 and a cd

Moderator: ModTeam

Tuckson

scenic c610 and a cd

Postby Tuckson » Thu Jun 01, 2006 21:04

Hi,

At the moment I own a former company computer, a Scenic c610.
This thing is equipped with a 80GB S-ATA disc. Sadly no cdplayer in here.

Now I decided to empty de harddisk and install linux on it to use the machine as a server for my homelan. However, for this I need the machine to boot from cd.

To buy a slimline cdplayer only for this occasion seems a bit overkill (Hey, I'm dutch, OK? ;-) ). So I tried to attach a regular cd player to the 1st IDE channel (2nd doesn't go, this has a larger lay-out, see here: D1644 )

I tried to set the cd-player(s) (tried 2 players and 2 different flatcables) to master as well as slave, but never the device was found.

Does anyone know how I can accomplisch that I can boot from the cdplayer?

Kind regards

Mayr_TS

Postby Mayr_TS » Thu Jun 01, 2006 23:17

Have a look in the BIOS: ADVANCED / ADVANCED SYSTEM CONFIG
There you should find the SATA configuration. Check, if you have configured "NATIVE" or "COMPATIBLE" mode. If you have "COMPATIBLE" mode, your SATA controller is mapped to one of your IDE channels. This could be the reason, that your drive is not detected.
I hope, this helps you. I don't have this machine, so I'm not sure.

Kind Regards
Gerhard

Tuckson

Re:

Postby Tuckson » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:36

Mayr_TS wrote:Have a look in the BIOS: ADVANCED / ADVANCED SYSTEM CONFIG
There you should find the SATA configuration. Check, if you have configured "NATIVE" or "COMPATIBLE" mode. If you have "COMPATIBLE" mode, your SATA controller is mapped to one of your IDE channels. This could be the reason, that your drive is not detected.
I hope, this helps you. I don't have this machine, so I'm not sure.

Kind Regards
Gerhard

Thanx for the quick reply. It indeed is "compatible", but everywhere on the internet I read this is necessary for installing many operatingsystems, including linux?

Kind regards

Mayr_TS

Postby Mayr_TS » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:52

This is true, but if it's "compatible", the SATA-Controller is mapped to one of your IDE channels, so this IDE channel won't work. In the BIOS you can choose, which IDE channel you want SATA map to. Just try the other one.

Kind Regards
Gerhard

Tuckson

Re:

Postby Tuckson » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:20

Mayr_TS wrote:This is true, but if it's "compatible", the SATA-Controller is mapped to one of your IDE channels, so this IDE channel won't work. In the BIOS you can choose, which IDE channel you want SATA map to. Just try the other one.

Kind Regards
Gerhard

Ai, That's pretty cool if it should work. I'm going to try it tonight. I'll post here when I found out. Thanx so far.

Kind regards

Tuckson

Re:

Postby Tuckson » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:44

Tuckson wrote:
Mayr_TS wrote:This is true, but if it's "compatible", the SATA-Controller is mapped to one of your IDE channels, so this IDE channel won't work. In the BIOS you can choose, which IDE channel you want SATA map to. Just try the other one.

Kind Regards
Gerhard

Ai, That's pretty cool if it should work. I'm going to try it tonight. I'll post here when I found out. Thanx so far.

Kind regards

Hmmm... couldn't wait till tonight.
Tried your suggestion. Could choose between compatible and native. With native I couldn't get the installation to find the harddisk, with compatible I tried to remap the sata interface. This first seemed to work, since I could boot from cd and the hardrive still seemed to be found. However inside the linux installation, the program insisted that it couldn't find/load the proper drivers for the cddrive. Seems a bit strange to me since that is the drive the program itself was running from?

Just don't get it :(

Mayr_TS

Postby Mayr_TS » Fri Jun 02, 2006 14:12

Sorry, but I'm really no Linux pro :roll: , but the first problem seems to be solved. You can boot and find the HDD.
Now it's time for the Linux PRO's!!!

Kind Regards
Gerhard

Mogli

Postby Mogli » Sun Jun 04, 2006 19:39

Hi folks,

perhaps you should try to make yourself a bootable USB Stick an start the installation from this stick?

greets

Mogli

Tuckson

Re:

Postby Tuckson » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:08

Mogli wrote:Hi folks,

perhaps you should try to make yourself a bootable USB Stick an start the installation from this stick?

greets

Mogli

Have been thinking about this, but my largest stick is 256 MB. :-( not large enough for the distro's

Return to “SCENIC”