my bios

All topics related to PC

my bios

Postby » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:19

hello i have a "problem" with my bios, there is no advanced "tweaking" options.. :/<BR>i was reading yesterday in this forum and then i saw that you ignored all those who wanted advanced options in the bios?<P>well.. you should not do that in my opinion<BR>i mean, why not give them what they want, when they bought a computer from you ? it costs 7000kr (800 us dollar) to get my computer, and then i can't even control it?<BR>this is almost a requirement !!<P>i know it's a hard work in a support, i've been working in a support for computer in 2 years now. you have to be able to discuss with a good attitude all the time.<P>well, thanks for answering me at all

Royale de luxe

Re: my bios

Postby Royale de luxe » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:27

This can be a discussion with no end.<P>I guess from manufacter side, the easiest way to give stability and operability without loosing to much time in a professional invirement is to make the bios as stable as possible without to much settings the end-user needs to operate.<P>Take notice that if you have a park of +50 machines and need to change everytime something in a bios "because of instability" <BR>you have a lot of work.<P>Therefore the most logical way is to simplify the life for everyone. "time is money" and if you can gain extra bucks with a simple solution why make it difficult.<P>On the other hand it is a pitty that the individual who wants to change some settings doesn't have this option. But how many of the customers that buy one modify there BIOS, 2%? more? less?. Is it then necessary to make a bios that could give a lot of options that could make your machine perform better or worse? the A-brand manufacters don't think so. How many A-brands out there have a completly adjustable BIOS? to my knowledge not that many.<P><BR>

Postby » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:41

i understand that its not that many who wants to tweak their computers.. but there's no way to do that...<BR>i think it would be nice if i could just download a patch to the bios with 2-3 extra options to change fsb and stuff like that.<P>i dont know how long it takes to make a bios update, but 3 new settings cant take that long?<BR>so actually i think its worth it.<BR>imagine that you are a overclocker and that you bought a computer that you can't overclock, it feels very sad.. [img]/talk2/ubb-files/frown.gif[/img]<P>a small patch to the bios would be very nice, i cant actually pay you to buy that patch

Postby » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:49

or just tell me how to disable the write protection? i can't install a bios version from intel.com ... i want to do that, because it's the same chipset and so on..

Royale de luxe

Postby Royale de luxe » Wed Jul 30, 2003 14:29

I would not buy a FSC computer if i'm in to overclocking.<P>I would go for at least a ASUS/EPOX mainboard<BR>with a good cooler, not the standard one.<BR>Get some good ram, like Corsair, mushkin or kingmax. picking my own cpu with the right week. Get an expensive case with a good airflow, and then i am equipped for overclocking. <P>And why should i tell you how to do things, am I FSC? Do i give you support? this is a PUBLIC forum, and if i now what is being asked i just answer. for your bios question i would say RTFM<P><p>[This message has been edited by Royale de luxe (edited 30 July 2003).]

Postby » Wed Jul 30, 2003 17:08

okey.. [img]/talk2/ubb-files/frown.gif[/img] sorry for asking

Binary

Postby Binary » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:41

The BIOS is usually not write-protected, unless this protection is enabled in the BIOS. You can use FSC updates without problem. But do you really want to use an Intel BIOS just because the chipset and so.. matches?? My advise: don't do it. I hate to see a good machine die that way... Although changes are it would not accept the update anyway.

Patife

Postby Patife » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:27

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Niklas_:<BR><B>hello i have a "problem" with my bios, there is no advanced "tweaking" options.. :/<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>If you want to tweak, build your own computer. If you want no-hassle (relatively speaking), get a brand computer, power up, and forget tweaking. What you buy when you buy a brand computer, is stability, reliability and support. The computer does what it says on the package. Anything else is on you. Simple.<P>

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:59

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zeewor:<BR><B>i dont know how long it takes to make a bios update, but 3 new settings cant take that long?<BR>so actually i think its worth it.<BR>imagine that you are a overclocker and that you bought a computer that you can't overclock, it feels very sad.. [img]/talk2/ubb-files/frown.gif[/img]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Creating such a BIOS would be no problem at all. But there are a lot of legal issues connected. If you are a German manufacturer and provide a product that allows the CPU to be run out of it's spec, then you are liable to any and all damage done by that. It's not like a Asian mainboard maker who cannot be sued in court if anything goes wrong...<P>Anyway:<P>1) Overclocking is dead, it does not make sense these days<P>2) Silent PCs are the future, and FSC has been doing those things with their business PCs for several years now, giving them a jumping start<P>So if you want to overclock build your own "Kewl" Computer. If you want a fast, stable & easy PC get a Brand Name business PC.

Return to “Personal Computers (archive)”