Reformat

Moderator: ModTeam

-ToM-

Reformat

Postby -ToM- » Sat Mar 04, 2006 21:49

Hi guys, i really need to reformat my pc but i dont no how. Wen i put the cs in and restart my comp, i come to this screen where it asks me what i want to delete and there are four options, the first option is partition 1. This takes up 15 gb of space on my comp, but there are 3 other options, 1 takes um 60mb anfd the other 2 take up no space.

I wish to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows. I have all the nesscary cd's and i have backed up all the files i want to keep, but i dont no which one of these 4 things to delete and i don't want to mess up my comp.

I would really appreciate any help asap as i wish to do this tonight.

Thanks a lot guys :)

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 13:05

Have a look at your recovery computer manuals and see what they say. Can you tell me exactly what the options are? How big is your hard drive?

Which disk exactly is it that you are inserting?

Mike

-ToM-

Postby -ToM- » Mon Mar 06, 2006 18:19

firstly thanks 4 helping m8 i really appreciate it :)

My hard drive is 160gb large.

As for the options, they are, (in the following order)

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 152617MB <120828 MB Free>
Unpartitioned space 8MB
Unknown disk

<unknown dist in drive>
Unknown disk

55MB Disk on Disk [MBR]
G: Partition1 [FAT] 61MB [57MB free]

That is what i see on screen and i dont no what to do. It gives me 2 options, 1. Install 2. Delete

Firstly, i dont know whether to install or delete. Secondly i don't no what to delete/install. (Baring in mind i wish to wipe my hard drive completly, including windows and reinstall with a fresh hard drive)

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 21:09

If you wish to completely format your hard drive, then I suggest you use the Windows XP CD and then install the drivers and Programs afterwards.

So, to do this go to your BIOS (press Del on startup), and set your primary boot device to DVD/CD.
Then reboot your computer, with the Windows XP CD in the drive. The Windows XP Setup should guide you through the setup process.
Delete the partition(s) that are on the drive when it asks you, and then create 1 or more partitions depending on what you want. (You want to format using the NTFS file system, but NOT the quick option).

When Windows XP has finished installing, then use your "drivers and utilities" CD to get the drivers back, and then use the other CDs that came with your computer to get the programs back.

Hope that made sense
Mike

-ToM-

Postby -ToM- » Mon Mar 06, 2006 22:21

k thanks a lot m8, i really appreciate your help :) but you said you recommended using my windows cd, except my computer didn't come with a windows cd, it came with 'Product recovery CD-ROM' but underneath it says 'Windows XP Home Edition-SP2' is this the right cd to use?

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 22:51

Yes, that is the right CD to use, if it came in the packet with the green Windows XP help booklet with it.

Mike

-ToM-

Postby -ToM- » Tue Mar 07, 2006 0:25

ty very much m8, i really appreciate it ;) i will try 2 do it 2nite, wish me luck :)

Return to “General topics”