6i6i

Postby 6i6i » Wed Feb 08, 2006 18:17

@ borkar: sry for writing not sooner!

here you can download the demo:
http://downloads.gamezone.com/demos/d1083.htm

flk

Postby flk » Wed Feb 08, 2006 18:35

@Cpu

i've had no probs with burning dvds but in my case the lags are not as severe as with some pepopole here(i think thats mainly because i've got fujitsu drives and 2gigs of ram)

pete-

Postby pete- » Wed Feb 08, 2006 18:53

@ Dimitris013

I've been using my m1437g (1.86Ghz, 512MB ram) for about a half year and have never experienced any lagging issues in games (as earlier mentioned). I even got an earlier serial number than you (YSNW0 1xxxx) so it seems kinda strange. The harddrive is a Fujitsu MHT2080BH and i'm running stock graphic drivers and bios (1.02C).

The only problem i recognize is that winamp has a tendency to skip from time to time, which i consider a sounddriver or bios issue. The soundskips escalates when i'm running Notebook Hardware Control (formerly known as Centrino Hardware Control).

To all of you with m1437g:
Have you ever experienced similar soundskips in winamp?

Borkar

Postby Borkar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 18:54

Nero seems to manage the HD activity very well. I just have wasted 2 DVD/CDs since I have this book and I have burned more than 40CD/DVDs.

Although programs say the M1437 has a P50EA0 and although there is a sticker on the mainboard of the M1437 that says P50EA0, the mainboard itself is labeled with P71EN0.

Borkar
Mx43x Lagging issue Image
-> Infos und Status
-> FAQs und News
-> Discussions

pete-

Re:

Postby pete- » Wed Feb 08, 2006 19:00

Borkar wrote:Nero seems to manage the HD activity very well. I just have wasted 2 DVD/CDs since I have this book and I have burned more than 40CD/DVDs.

Although programs say the M1437 has a P50EA0 and although there is a sticker on the mainboard of the M1437 that says P50EA0, the mainboard itself is labeled with P71EN0.

Borkar

I do believe M1437G has the P71EN0. This is grabbed from the dump of my graphic card bios: "Uniwill-P71EA0-M26P....."

Edit: I didn't saw at first time that mine is P71EA0 and ntot P71EN0

This makes me doubtful..

Dimitris013

Postby Dimitris013 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 21:47

@ pete
You re right about the Notebook Hardware Control! It doesn't happen so often if I disable it. The problem still exists though. I saw a movie a few hours ago and the video and audio lagged for more than 30 time during a 1.30 hours movie(with the program enabled). I'm listening to some mp3 files now for more than 25min with the Notebook Hardware control closed and it has lagged just 1 time. I'm going to test it a little bit more, and if I find sth interesting I'll let you know.

P.S: I also have a Fujitsu HD.

Borkar

Postby Borkar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 21:53

this picture is made of a mainboard in a M1437G

Mx43x Lagging issue Image

-> Infos und Status

-> FAQs und News

-> Discussions

goldeneye215

Postby goldeneye215 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 21:58

i tried notebook hardware control and i disabled the hard disk spin down (256 setting or something like that). i saw some difference but i also noticed a temperature raise (43 degrees at games).but its not a solution because vaios even with spin down fully functioning you dont get this lags...

mcag

Postby mcag » Thu Feb 09, 2006 0:31

The P50EN0 of the M1437G is a smaller version of P71EN0 of the M3438G.

Cmps

dcd

SUMMARY

Postby dcd » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:45

Uniwill manufacture mainboards (motherboards): a large one (ref: P71EN0) and a smaller one (ref: P50EN0). Both have an integrated Serial ATA (SATA) RAID Controller (manufactured by Via with ref: VIA VT6421) but there is a serious defect.

This defect has become known as the 'lagging issue', and is actually an unknown type of communication problem between the Hard Disc Drive and the RAID controller, regardless of the RAID being set to 0 or 1, or the number of Hard Disc Drives.

These defective mainboards (motherboards) are installed in a great many Amilo M series PC-notebooks (laptop computers) manufacturered by Fujitsu-Siemens and sold worldwide.

PC-notebook (laptop) use and performance is disrupted: music and video games lag or stutter, freeze, and hang. Video editing, music and audio software, CAD software and even office software can be so seriously affected that users are devising work-arounds or trying to get repairs under warranty and guarantees.

Unfortunately there is no solution to this hardware problem as yet, although in some countries, Fujitsu-Siemens's Amilo M series PC-notebooks (laptops) have been withdrawn from sale, and in others the prices have been greatly reduced.

It is a manufacturer's defect -- however there are three manufacturers involved: the PC-notebooks (laptops) are manufactured by Fujitsu-Siemens, the mainboard (motherboard) is manufactured by Uniwell and the RAID controller is manufactured by Via technologies.

The affected models of the Fujitsu-Siemens notebooks (laptops) have the pattern 'Amilo M (variable) Four Three (variable) G'.

So the following models have the problem mainboard (motherboard) installed:

Amilo M1437G
Amilo M1439G
Amilo M3438G
Amilo M4438G

Fujitsu-Siemens have known about the lagging issue since 29 November 2005, and have confirmed (to "karl_s" of West Sussex, UK) that the problem is caused by the RAID controller communicating with the Hard Disc drive. As such there are variations in the lag strength and noticeability depending on the PC notebook (laptop) set up:

The faster the hard drive rpm, the weaker the lag.

Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M x43x PC-notebooks (laptops) with a slow Samsung Hard Drive have the worst lag.
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M x43x PC-notebooks (laptops) with Fujitsu Hard Drives are next best,
and Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M x43x PC-notebooks (laptops) with really fast (7200 rpm) Seagate Hard drives have the least noticeable lag.

Thanks to "Borkar" (obviously)!

Maybe people posting here can help Fujitsu-Siemen, Via & Uniwill find a solution by always remembering to state (a) the Amilo model reference (b) the hard drive make and speed and if possible the Uniwill mainboard/ motherboard reference (P71EN0 or P50EN0)
--cheers!
Last edited by dcd on Tue Feb 14, 2006 15:43, edited 3 times in total.

dcd

SUMMARY OF FORUM

Postby dcd » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:54

SUMMARISING THIS FORUM TO DATE:
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M1437G:
"Paul Davis" of Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK has an Amilo 1437G from an Insurance company, with the lag problem, advises the legal route is with whoever your contract was with under the sale of Goods Act 1974 in the UK

"pete-" has an Amilo M1437G with a P50EA0 mainboard, has no lagging in games, but has lagging when listening to MP3s whether or not Notebook Hardware Control is on or off.

"Dimitris013" of Athens has an Amilo M1437G with P50EA0 motherboard (according to Sandra) with lagging

"Jonny Manc" of Cumbria, UK, "dymo310", "ehd",and "roole" of Vilnius, Lietuva, have an Amilo M1437G notebooks/ laptops can't detect the lag, but "roole" says games can't be played!

"jdeacon" from Spain and "smekast" each have an Amilo M1437Gs with the lag -- as has "Zhexuan" from catalonia who stated that this topic is being discussed in the PC World Forum.

"mcag" has an Amilo M1437G as well as a P50EA0 mainboard -- and the lag. Stated "The P50EN0 of the M1437G is a smaller version of P71EN0 of the M3438G".

"pcardoso" has one HD and it lags. (info??)

Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M1439G:
No posts so far

Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M3438G:
"zipper" has an Amilo M3438G with fast Seagate HDDs (rpm?), so the lagging is reduced.

"thapostol" of Greece has an Amilo M3438 and has not noticed the lag because he has a really fast Hard Drive (HD make/rpm?)

"Karl_s" of West Sussex, UK has an Amilo M3438G (Seagate HD - rpm?) and has reduced the lag by playing around with AV software, but the problem is very bad despite the Seagate HDD.

"Lavrinenko" of Moscow, Russia avoids lagging by playing MP3s straight from CD/DVD or USB drives -- avoiding the Hard Drive/RAID communication/lagging issue.

"trebor", "wootini" and "ConteJazz" have Amilo M3438G notebooks/ laptops (HDs? revs?)

"rbreen" has an Amilo M3438G (HD/rpm?) notebook/ laptop and was informed by Fujitsu-Siemens that this was a known problem that has been since fixed!

"6i6i" has an Amilo M3438G notebook/ laptop with 2 Samsung HDDs but no RAID 0 or 1 setup, and it still lags. (rpm?)

"lonboy" has an Amilo M3438G with two Fujitsu HDDs and posted results of Accessbench

"Playerdude" has two Hard Drives (make of HD/rpm?) and an Amilo M3438G, but the problem is not affected by the number of drives, just the rpm. Lag is noticed even when accessing firewire external hard drives, and has seen lag on friend's Amilo 1437G (HD info?)

"raven_" has an Amilo M3438G (HD make? rpm?) and "howardg" of London suggested BBC's watchdog TV show then the office of fair trading (laptop info??)

"alexcs" has an Amilo M3438G notebook/ laptop (HD make? rpm?) and has found on French forums an improvement in lags by switching off Centrino Hardware Control/Notebook Hardware Control. Also no difference when changing RAID settings.

"Valinor" of France also has a lagging Amilo M3438G with one Fujitsu HD (rpm?).

"Mr. Blue" has two Amilo M3438G notebooks/ laptops -- and BOTH lag! (HD makes? rpms?)

Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M4438G:
"Timewarp" of Italy AND "RalphS" of UK have Amilo M4438G with 2 Fujitsu HDDs and both suffer with terrible lag.

ALSO....

"-MURASh-" says in Russian forums about lagging with Amilo Pro V2040 notebook/ laptops can be improved by stopping the heads parking so much.

Big shout out to "Borkar"!
Hope this helps people doing searches, and summarises the forum to-date, saving everyone time and effort. Please check "Borkar's" original post before going off on one. Can people remember to state (a) model of laptop (b) hard drive make and speed and if possible (c) mainboard ref. Nothing else seems to be relevant, RAM, no. of drives etc.
Thanks!

roole

Postby roole » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:35

So now we know exactly which amilo models are affected. Sad, but it seems, that m1437g is involved too. Now we must just wait till Fujitsu-Siemens or Uniwill will do something with that. I hope there will be a fast solution.

rbreen

Postby rbreen » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:10

Suffice it to say I was supposed to hear yesterday from a senior support guy within Fujitsu about this issue, but have heard nothing of yet. I am seriously considering moving to another manufacturer for the companies hardware rather than fujitsu, as I have lost all faith in their quality control.

Dimitris013

Postby Dimitris013 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:22

I completed my media test without Notebook Hardware Control enabled. After 3hours of constant mp3 and divX usages, I just spotted the problem 3 times. Which means 1time/h. I have to admit that's a great improvement considering that the ratio before was 20times/h! Why don't you try disabling any mb or HD monitoring program you have and test it? It would be very interesting to see what you get guys!

PS: Sth else I have noticed: The HD S.M.A.R.T functions report an error and I can't change the noise levels and spin down function using NHC. Could it be relative to the lagging issue??

reachme

Postby reachme » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:30

PS: Sth else I have noticed: The HD S.M.A.R.T functions report an error and I can't change the noise levels and spin down function using NHC. Could it be relative to the lagging issue??

For me it induces a lag.
I get a lag playing mp3's in BMP at a regular interval.
You can switch off the S.M.A.R.T. checking which solved that problem for me.

I also get S.M.A.R.T. errors from NHC but I don't believe its findings.
I have checked my Samsung HD for errors with the manufacterers tool and it reported no errors several times.

Danny.
(who does not notice lags playing mp3, video, GTA VC and GTA SA)
M3438G, PM740, 1 Samsung HD in 'silent mode' (slower), 512Mb 400ms.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”