SERIOUS PERFORMANCE PROBLEM Mx43x - Lagging Issue

Moderator: ModTeam

FSCModTeam

Update Fujitsu Siemens Computers at 2006/09/06

Postby FSCModTeam » Mon Jan 30, 2006 20:39

:arrow: Update: Fujitsu Siemens Computers at 2006/09/06
Dear AMILO Forum users:
Over the past months we have been working on items that have been brought to our attention by you. First of all we would like to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as well as for your patience while we worked through our process to get the requested answers. Please find in the following our explanations and technical statements in order to meet your justified demand for highest technical quality.
We would like to hightlight that in our last service update we solved the lagging during gaming, listening to music, watching DVD or office applications. For this issue please download the new VIA SATA RAID VT6421driver version 5.1.2600.440a which we recommend below (in item 1).
Your items in detail:
1. Lagging while gaming, playing DVD, listening to audio files and use MS office applications on the notebook.
Symptom:
On some systems video or audio may sporadically stutter (lag) for one second while playing games, playing DVDs or listening to audio files on your notebook.
Solution: Root cause of this behaviour has been a sporadic performance drop in some cases in the data transfer between hard disc and system, which can be solved by a new VIA SATA RAID VT6421driver version version 5.1.2600.440a. We want to point out that the hardware is not affected.
The new driver has been available since July 15. Link to download:
http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/ ... loads.html
2. "brrr"-sound under Windows XP
Symptom:
- the sound is interrupted briefly (approximately one second) or may stutter (“brr”- sound)
- the modem throughput decreases
Solution: The symptom does only occur while switching the screen mode (e.g. change in resolution) and has absolutely no impact on the normal use of the system. The root source has been the NVIDIA graphics. NVIDIA has confirmed this issue in a service bulletin they have submitted to Fujitsu Siemens Computers. According to NVIDIA the behavior (sound & modem ) only happens during mode set. It is accepted by NVIDIA as limitation.
3. Lagging only while gaming
Symptom: Lagging while gaming
Solution: After doing extensive research with our suppliers and gaming companies, we came to the conclusion that the issue the forum has pointed out is an industry issue, that is not specific to Fujitsu Siemens Computers or its products. The installation of gaming software on both, desktop and notebook, might require an adjustment of the settings, particularly in video/graphic settings as most of the 3D games have their own graphic settings which will influence game performance. In addition, please note that most current 3D games are typically designed for desktop high-end systems. Due to form factors, there are differences in components that are used for notebooks than for desktops. Mobile components might not have the identical performance in comparison to their desktop component counterparts, even when manufactures provide components with names, sounding similar, for example GeForce Go 6800 differs from other GeForce XX 6800. In addition, there can be performance differences in components due to a mobile nature: different performance data of 2½ / 3 ½ hard drives with different rpm and throughput data.
4. "brrr"-sound under Instant On application, DVD ratio not adjustable
Symptom:
- Using the Linux version of PowerCinema – InstantOn – sporadically a “brrr”-sound can be heard during audio/video playback.
- DVD ratio is not adjustable to different video sizes.
Solution: The new InstanOn version 4.00.0407M will fix the symptom. In the setting menu of InstantOn the user can now select between the DVD ratio 16:9 or 4:3.
InstanOn version 4.00.0407M is available for download: http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/ ... loads.html
Last edited by FSCModTeam on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:26, edited 2 times in total.

Borkar

SERIOUS PERFORMANCE PROBLEM Mx43x - Lagging Issue

Postby Borkar » Mon Jan 30, 2006 20:39

UPDATE 2006-09-07: FSC has not solved the problems! Neither VIA driver 4.40 nor any other drivers solve the Lagging Issue! These is no solution!

To all owners of Mx43x Amilo laptops (M1437G, M1439G, M3438G, M4438G)!

The mainboard P71EN0 (made by Uniwill) with the integrated RAID Controller VIA VT6421 in notebooks Amilo Mx43x has a very serious performance problem, which makes the notebook worthless!!
Don't buy M1437G, M1439G, M3438G, M4438G!!

FSC has known about the so called 'Lagging Issue' since November 29th 2005
After they had unsuccessfully tried to reconstruct the bug, they deny that there has ever existed a bug like that!
ALL NOTEBOOKS P71EN0 ARE AFFECTED BY THIS BUG!!!
Sometimes the bug is more obvious, sometime it isn't. The lagging issue is independent on hardware equipment! From 1,6Ghz and 512MB RAM to 2,26Ghz and 2048GB RAM! And it is independent on Laguage Edition (people from Germany, Spain, Greece, UK, Ireland, Taiwan, USA, all over the world reported the lagging issue!)!

More infos about the lagging issue can be found here http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=121724
Read carefully through the whole thread.

Borkar

EDIT Feb 9th 2006
A summary of the thread can be found here
http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum ... 5475#35475
http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum ... 5589#35589
Last edited by Borkar on Thu Sep 07, 2006 17:39, edited 8 times in total.
Mx43x Lagging issue Image
-> Infos und Status
-> FAQs und News
-> Discussions

jdeacon

Postby jdeacon » Mon Jan 30, 2006 21:32

Hi, greets, I had try to speak with you in the other forum, I'm from Spain, I bought the 1437g and I saw the problem the first day that I installed Call of duty 2, every few moments a little stop, is terrified.
In the beginning I thought that it can be a problem of the configuration of the video card, or the windows, I want to change to Windows XP professional.
I spoke of my problems in several forums of Spain and nobody with another fujitsus,, differents model, know what the problem is.
I tried several games, and less Quake 4 (its goes ok) everyone has the same trouble.
I want to make pressure to fujitsu to solve this problem, because I can't carry the laptop to the shop and give me the money, and I dont want to leave the laptop in the hand of the technical services, and less after I saw a few pictures from a user's laptop after to go to the technical services.

Sorry my english. Thanks a lot to Borkar for the support, everyday I see the forum of notebooks to see the news. I hope that fujitsu does anything soon to solve the problem.
Bye.

Lavrinenko

Postby Lavrinenko » Mon Jan 30, 2006 21:40

I haven't observed this problem so far, I own 3438G for about 3 months. I already updated both BIOSes to 1.10C and latest VBIOS available on the internet. I use both WinXP and SuSE 10.1 on this laptop. My config is PM 1.86/512MB RAM/80GB HDD. Here's what hdparm says:

Code: Select all

barracuda:~ # hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   82 MB in  3.03 seconds =  27.08 MB/sec

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   84 MB in  3.03 seconds =  27.74 MB/sec

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   84 MB in  3.01 seconds =  27.89 MB/sec
barracuda:~ # hdparm -T /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   3364 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1682.86 MB/sec

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   3300 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1650.68 MB/sec

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   3296 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1649.81 MB/sec
barracuda:~ # hdparm -I /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       SAMSUNG HM080JI
        Serial Number:      S082J10Y707746
        Firmware Revision:  YC100-02
Standards:
        Supported: 7 6 5 4
        Likely used: 7
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   16383
        heads           16      16
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  156301488
        LBA48  user addressable sectors:  156301488
        device size with M = 1024*1024:       76319 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:       80026 MBytes (80 GB)
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Queue depth: 32
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 128
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6 udma7
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
                NOP cmd
           *    READ BUFFER cmd
           *    WRITE BUFFER cmd
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Write cache
           *    Power Management feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    SMART feature set
           *    FLUSH CACHE EXT command
           *    Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    48-bit Address feature set
           *    Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
                SET MAX security extension
           *    DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
           *    SMART self-test
           *    SMART error logging
Security:
        Master password revision code = 65534
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
        not     frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
        88min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 88min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
Checksum: correct
barracuda:~ #

Instead, I have another problem that I posted on FSC forum - under SuSE 10.1 cooling fan is always running on low RPMs. In WinXP everything is okay with fan. That's what really annoys me...

Borkar

Postby Borkar » Mon Jan 30, 2006 22:00

@Lavrinenko
You have this problem as well! If you think you have not, you have not looked for it so far. If you dont believe me, visit me and I will show you that your notebooks laggs, too!
Every book is affected!! And FSC has no solution for that!

-> Infos und Status

-> FAQs und News

-> Discussions

karl_s

Postby karl_s » Mon Jan 30, 2006 22:50

well FSC have known about this lag issue for over a month and a half now.
it's really starting to grate on me now, not being able to watch films, tv, or even listen to music.

I can't afford to send my laptop away, if they are just going to bugger about with it and send it back with no change (and scratches all over it).

Has anyone tired the 'AlienWare Area-51 m5700' bios drivers on their 3438G machine yet? Did it make any difference?

This machine is stressing me out...

---

well spoke to FSC first line support in the UK, and the two different people I spoke to today both said that they 'had not personally come across such a problem with the 3438G'. crazy stuff.

I've been asked to email uksupport@fujitsu-siemens.com (second line support) and breifly explain the problem. Basically send them the info that Bokar has been getting people to send in.

So am I the only person in the UK with this issue???? doubt it.

EVERYONE AND ANYONE WHO HAS GOT THIS 'LAGG' ISSUE ON THEIR 3438G, CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL FUJITSU SIEMENS AT THE ABOVE EMAIL ADDRESS AS WELL AS: technical.support@fujitsu-siemens.com

As a reminder, Bokar has made a really good template for this at:

http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=121724

strength in numbers people
(thanks for openning this thread bokar)

kip

lag and other prop

Postby kip » Mon Jan 30, 2006 23:59

Hi! After watching you guys trying to solve that famous lag problem I feel like my 3438g is worthless soda-stream :lol: well I have another problem. My Amilo is bought in Denmark with Winxp Home edition in danish :wink: .. and I don't speak danish, and i hate the home edition of xp.. SO I wanted to install an english version of xp PRO. Well well when I use a xp pro cd to boot it doesn't find any hard drive. Then I saw the damn computer has SATA drives on some stupid sata controller and the only way to install fresh xp on it is to press F6 when booting from the cd and provide drivers from a floppy drive for that SATA controller. There is only one problem with that, I have no floppy drive (A:/) for my Darling Amilo. If you know the way around that, PLEEEEASE email me kip@kip.is
I'm a Microsoft certified professional.

jojojo

to kip

Postby jojojo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:00

do a search on my nickname: jojojo

i posted a solution to the problem you are trying to solve...

JTRIP

Postby JTRIP » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:30

Differences between home and pro can be counted with the thumbs of one hand...

If you can get away with vnc(home lacks the server part of RDP) and you dont give much about file permissions, then you can live without pro for sure.

Im tired of hearing people talking as if pro was some kind of uber OS with a totally different kernel and home was a ME with the XP theme, and the fact is, with some concise 3rd party software installable in under 10 minutes(wich you wont mind isnt free since i doubt you are paying the pro license) you have the features lacking in home.

karl_s

Big question for everyone (but aimed at Bokar)

Postby karl_s » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:16

Hi Bokar

This is a question for you.

What AntiVirus software programme are you using??

I've had my 3438G since november, and i didn't experience the lagg problem until first week of january.

You know it's been bugging me for ages... what could have happened in january that could suddenly cause this problem.

The ONLY thing that I changed was my Virus programme, (because my Norton 2month trial was coming to an end).

Since beginning of january I have been using MCFEE virus scan.

I know you've spent a lot of time on this lag problem, so it can't be something as simple as what Virus programme you use.

BUT...

As of 11.00pm this evening, I unistalled McFee and reinstalled a refresh copy of Norton Antivirus 2006. It is now 1.06am and I have witnessed the lag through my audio, video and my time has remained consistent for over 2 hours!

This is a remarkable improvement for my 3438G, considering earlier today I couldn't even listen to a 3minute mp3 song without the lag occuring every 3secs (the noise it was making was driving me crazy!)

What do you think?
I'm going to spend the next couple of days, putting my laptop through its paces, to see if this is actually a remeeded.

Borkar

Postby Borkar » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:19

The lagging Issue is independent on the installed software!! I have also these freezes when I reinstall my windows and just install Warcraft3.
It is a bug of the RAID-Controller or harddisks or both together! Different drivers (btw the Alienware drivers are exactly the same than the FSC drivers) or different software doesnt change anything. Also different IRQ allocation doesnt chage anything!!

-> Infos und Status

-> FAQs und News

-> Discussions

thapostol

Postby thapostol » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:02

EDIT: The following message was my first on this forum and it was written before encountering the lagging problem. I have the same problem, dont be mistaken by this message... I wont delete this message for now but if you think that i must just say so.

Hi everybody.
Firstly, Borkar u r doing an excellent work and many thx should be given 2 u. Keep up the good work and many will unite under the common cause.

Secondly, about the LAG problem. I have NOT experienced the problem so far. I own a M3438 with the following specs: P m740, 512Mb (2 x 256 Mb) ddr2 533Ghz, 1hhd 100Gb Fujitsu. I have been working with the nb since 18th December 2005. I play mainly counterstrike (many times several hours in a row :D ) but i have tried also Halflife 2 and doom3 WITHOUT experiencing any lags. For about the last hour i ve been suffling through the posts in notebookforums.com and amilo-forum.de, while listening to music (winamp). NO music stop. During movies seen, no playback stops. I have used my nb to play music during a many-hours party(!) with no problems either...
Maybe i have the Problem, as probably all amilos Mx438, but i have not witnessed any functionality problems. As a matter of fact, I didnt know about the problem until earlier today and it made me really curious...

@borkar Have u gathered any info from users with only one hard disk on their system, and furthermore an 100Gb fujitsu one..?
I will investigate further the matter by testing my nb more. I have not tried yet accessbench but will come back soon with any results.

Sorry for the long post.
Hope FSC and others involved make their best to solve the problem and justify their name and our trust in their products.
Last edited by thapostol on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:46, edited 1 time in total.

camane

Did you guys thought about talking to a lawyer?

Postby camane » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:01

Maybe there is grounds for a full recall of a defective product, or a large lawsuit.

Borkar

Postby Borkar » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:08

@thapostol
The problem in independent on the amount of hard drives in your notebook. But the lagging issue is weaker on systems with fast hard drives. Therefore notebooks with Samsung HDs have most problems (Samsung=slowest HDs), Fujitsu HDs are better and Seagate again are better (these three HDs are built in by default). If you bought 7200rpm HDs the lags would be so weak that you dont notice them any more. BUT THEY STILL EXIST!!
The common work around of FSC: If people complain about lags, they change HDs to Fujitsu od Seagate and hope that the user doesnt notice the bug any more. But this is not a solution!! It is just a silly work around!

-> Infos und Status

-> FAQs und News

-> Discussions

karl_s

uk support

Postby karl_s » Tue Jan 31, 2006 13:26

this is what i recieved from FSC uk support today, confirming what Bokar has been saying for a long time now:

This is a known issue. Caused by the RIAD controller talking to the harddisk.
This issue is being worked on for a solution. Information the solution is due shortly. I will update you on progress.

Best Regards

2nd Line Support
FUJITSU COMPUTERS
SIEMENS

You were right about the lags still being there, i've started experiencing them again today. boo

Return to “AMILO Notebook”