PRIMERGY RX2560 M2 Random reboots

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

Sopzedx
Product(s): PRIMERGY SERVERS

PRIMERGY RX2560 M2 Random reboots

Postby Sopzedx » Thu May 30, 2019 10:26

Hello experts,

We have two PRIMERGY RX2560 M2 database servers setup in our company. We're currently exepriencing what's becoming quite an issue as both servers keep auto-rebooting simultanously (same exact time), multiple times a month. I Checked the /var/log/messages, /var/log/boot.msg /var/log/NetworkManager for some answers but couldn't find any entry related to these random reboots. I Also checked the IRMC as i was wondering if it could be a power problem... but no sign of any kind of failure. I finaly went through the RDP log to look for suspicious activities... nothing in there too. So i'm just really confused by this situation. Is it normal not to have any log entry regarding these reboots on both servers? Or am i missing something when reading those logs?

Best Regards.

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Re: PRIMERGY RX2560 M2 Random reboots

Postby me@work » Thu May 30, 2019 16:39

Hello,
sorry for having to write this, but:
The fact you couldn't find any signs doesn't mean they're not really there. Sometimes even missing log entries that one would expect to see could give an indication...

But with the information you provided it's almost impossible to investigate. Hell, you didn't even mention the OS or database specifically, not to hope for a log or something like that :-), so what could one suggest to get the problem rectified...

At least, I'd bet that it's almost impossible for a machine's hardware error to strike two systems simultaneously at random times, so it might be a good idea to get in touch with the software vendors of your OS and database solution for assistance in log examination, if there's no external reason possible for the reboots.

Did the issues start at a certain time, after performing some certain operations? The M2 systems probably already operated for a while since they had been set up; hopefully without these problems.

Do your country/contract rules allow for opening a support call to get the hardware logs (e.g. Prime Collect) examined by FTS tech support? (Remember: Though this forum is run by FTS, it's not an official support option.)
As this is official support's first suggestion: You actually did update all & everything (hardware AND software) to latest versions, didn't you?

Good luck.

Sopzedx
Product(s): PRIMERGY SERVERS

Re: PRIMERGY RX2560 M2 Random reboots

Postby Sopzedx » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:40

Hello,

Sorry for not being too specific, here's some more details about the OS & the database:

- Servers running SUSE Liunux Entreprise Server 11
- SAP HANA Databse (9.3 pl06)

I actually got in touch with the OS and Software support and sent them those specific logs, per their request. Unfortunately, they said they couldn't find anything relating to those reboots, they also said it's probably an external reason, which im sure by now, is not the case. In fact, they informed me that sudden reboots don't get logged unless there's some kind of hardware issue which would then be logged (Weird huh?).

The M2 systems did indeed operate normally for quite a while before. This maybe related but we did an OS and Database upgrade a while ago, and the systems ran fine for some time before we started having this problem. We also had to replace both servers NICs (physical problem).

As far as opening a support call to collect the hardware logs, i would have to check it's possibility first.

Kind Regards.

Return to “Server Products”