Spectre/Meltdown Bios upgrade for R650

Moderator: ModTeam

mazzinia
Product(s): Celsius R650

Spectre/Meltdown Bios upgrade for R650

Postby mazzinia » Wed Jan 17, 2018 13:56

Will a bios be made available ( as soon as intel release microcode updates for the xeons used in that machine ), to allow the patch for Spectre v2 to work ?

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Re: Spectre/Meltdown Bios upgrade for R650

Postby me@work » Wed Jan 17, 2018 14:08

Seems that your workstation is too old to either be affected, or to get patched...

Check this post.

mazzinia

Postby mazzinia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:56

Thanks, but the fact that the model is not mentioned doesn't mean is not affected. it's affected (i've already triple checked)

I guess I should have formulated the question in a different way. Assuming that Intel releases a microcode update for the xeons on the R650 ( intel mentioned would have provided microcode for more cpu families compared to what released the 8th of january, it should just require more time ), will a bios be made available ?

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23

You shouldn't stop reading at the end of the "either" branch, but continue to do so with the "or" branch ;-)

Depending on a future microcode update's nature (if possible at all...), it might get applied by the installed OS as well, without changing the BIOS version. M$ did so (or in case of eg. VMs tried to do so a while ago) already, but as I wrote: It depends...

Of course, all this shouldn't stop you from hoping and keeping your fingers crossed. But I, personally, wouldn't hold my breath.

At least, you shouldn't hope for an official statement from Fujitsu in this forum. Instead, open a ticket with them.

mazzinia

Postby mazzinia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:59

I'm assuming you mean that Fujitsu will not answer openly in their own forum. ( thing that other makers do instead )

If I can be brutally honest, the fact that they ignore the forums would be enough reason not to consider buying one of their products. It's a customer service part that personally I expect being present.

mazzinia

Postby mazzinia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 14:49

As suggested, I've opened a ticket.

The answer I got back is that the item is out of warranty, and links where I can check the warranty status or obtain downloads of documents and such.

Instead of answering with a premade text, would have expected a "yes" "no" "maybe".
HP and Lenovo do answer ( and have an actively supported board community.... ).

Return to “CELSIUS Workstations”