Server 2012 R2 en TX1310 M1 RAID 1

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

JmPardo23
Product(s): ECONEL, PRIMERGY, ESPRIMO

Server 2012 R2 en TX1310 M1 RAID 1

Postby JmPardo23 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:19

Hi

Can not be installed on a Fujitsu TX1310 M1 the Microsoft Server 2012 R2 Foundation operating system in RAID mode 1. Has a raid controller LSI embedded software. With ServerView Installation Manager, at the end of Setup Wizard installation gives an error "Internal Server Error" and does not start the installation.
If I install from the operating system CD, although I have 2 SATA drives in operational RAID 1, the wizard detects 2 hard drives instead of 1, the logical volume. If I provide the "LSI Logic Embedded MegaRAID for Windows Server 2012 R2", changed driver and detects only 1 volume. Unless I can install the SO. Finish the installation of Server 2012 R2 perfectly, but in the device manager as storage controller have a 'SATA RAID Controller Intel C600 Series Chipset". Disk Manager sees me 2 disks rather than 1 volume, and RAID Server Manager does not detect controller or logical volume or hard drives.
If Device Manager I provide the "LSI Logic Embedded MegaRAID for Windows Server 2012 R2" driver for the storage controller, replace with a "LSI Logic Embebbed ...." but not restart the machine.

Is it possible to install on this machine with this controller Server 2012 R2 one on a RAID1?

Thank You

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: Server 2012 R2 en TX1310 M1 RAID 1

Postby Davie » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:28

Firstly you need to enable the RAID (on TX1310 it is disabled by default) - F2 BIOS > Advanced > Sata Configuration > Sata mode = RAID

Then create your RAID1 in CTRL-M utility or RAID Manager from ServerView CD

Then install - either use ServerView or native Windows install - but if you do native install you MUST use the RAID driver from download site or Windows will still see two physical drives instead of one logical

JmPardo23

Postby JmPardo23 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 13:44

Hi Davie and thanks

I have followed these steps correctly. The problem is further.

Firstly I enable the RAID in BIOS. After I create the RAID 1 with Ctrl-M. State: Optimal

Now I boot de server with ServerView CD. When finish the installation wizard, I get and "Server Internal Error" and the installation don´t begin. I can´t do native install.
Then, I try with Windows CD. In the installation wizard I use the driver from Support Fujitsu "LSI Logic Embedded MegaRAID" and I see only one logical drive. I make one partition and th installation begins.
I can finish the installation of the SO. In the SO, in the Disk Manager Console, appear two physical disks again, and ServerView RAID Manager does not detect the controller or physical disk or logical volume.
In Device Manager Console, in item "Storage controller", appears "Controller SATA RAID Controller Intel C600 Series Chipset". I try to update the driver of the device and I use the driver from Support Fujitsu "LSI Logic Embedded MegaRAID". It´s the same I used in SO installation wizard. The update is sucessful, and the device change to "LSI Logic Embedded MegaRAID". I must reboot, but the server will not start anymore, only install again.

In the Fujitsu Support site there´s no information, or any further driver, or information in the manuals.

I tried to install Server 2008 R2, and everything worked correctly. I have a single logical volume and can monitor the status of the raid with ServerView RAID Manager. It's the only solution I see now, but I have to check if I can make a downgrade of the operating system .

Thanks again

Regards

gginerc
Product(s): C620, W530,

Postby gginerc » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:23

Hi,
just in order to avoid you testing, we've already install Server 2012 R2 Foundation on several TX1310 M1 with RAID 1 activated and are running ok. So there's no strange configurations in order to do that and you can be sure you can do that. As Davie told, first you need to activate RAID option on BIOS in order to let ServerView installation method to be able to handle RAID options, don't know why it's off by default. Once done that you just need to follow normal installation process. You can create the RAID using CTRL-M on start up or during installation process you can use advanced installation option, then you will have more options creating RAID volumes and create a RAID 1 volumen from a GUI. Default options could erase what you have done on CTRL-M, be careful on that, advanced option could give you more control on the installation process.
Also some questions that could light the problem and the solution. Both discs have the same capacity and vendor:? Think that Fujitsu HDs sometimes have an special firmware for their servers and mixing diferent HD's on a RAID it's not recommeded. There's a reason why Fujitsu HD seems more expensive and different capacities could explain why you still see a couple of HDs on HD manager. You can open ServerView RAID manager on Windows to check what it's configured on the RAID, also can activated email alerts and much more. Take a look on that.
Also, you are using Fujitsu Microsoft Foundation DVD or the DVD it's from another vendor, also important on the installation process and could cause some errors.

Hope that helps you

Guillermo Giner
Fujitsu's Select Partner

JmPardo23

Postby JmPardo23 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 14:12

hi
Thanks for help.
I have been working as Fujitsu Siemens Partner, now only Fujitsu for 10 years.
I understand it must be possible to install a Server 2012 R2 on a TX1310 M1. It should be as simple as enable RAID in the BIOS, boot with the DVD ServerStart, configure the installation wizard and follow the steps.
The first problem is that, once configured the ServerStart installation wizard, when I hit "Start Installation" get an error message saying "Server Internal Error". The installation does not start. This error had never occurred to me. To solve the problem, try to do the installation with the "Fujitsu Microsoft Foundation DVD". Providing the driver to install "LSI Logic Embedded MegaRAID" then I get to finish the installation, but for OS I have 2 disks. In ServerView RAID for Windows, there is no controller or RAID volume and physical disks.
The machine was purchased with 2 discs, so they are the original manufacturer.
Perhaps some version of hardware, firmware controller ... I have tests were finished and ideas.
I just wanted to know if some other partner had this happen to him if he had been solved.

Thanks for the help and greetings.

gginerc
Product(s): C620, W530,

Postby gginerc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 18:26

Hi again,
as I've told you I've already install Foundation 2012 R2 in a couple of TX1310 M1 following the default installation process using ServerView installation DVD and a USB for the script files. No strange problem found on it. So I can only think about a couple of reasons for your problem. One it's a hardware error, strange on a Fujitsu platform but that's IT world and you never could say never. As W2008 seems to works correctly I will leave that as a possible last reason. The other thing I can think about it's somekind of problem on Serverview DVD or even on the DVD player. I have already found this kind of problem on other servers when using an old Serverview installation DVD version and trying to install the lastest Microsoft OS. Happily now you can download it. So try that, go to Fujitsu Support page, Downloads and choose TX1310 M1 and the right OS. Under Server Management Software, ServerView-ServerView Suite CDs/DVDs/ISO-Images you'll find the latest version of the ServerView instllation DVD (12.03.2015 with the last drivers integrated), download and burn it on a doubled sided DVD (a normal DVD will not work cause it's more that 4,5 GB). Hope that will solve your problem, at least it helped me in the past.

Guillermo Giner
Fujitsu Select Partner

JmPardo23

Postby JmPardo23 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 15:57

Hi, problem solved...

I was doing the installation default without storing the script files. In the wizard to indicate where to store script files, clicked 'Cancel ' and continued the installation wizard . Once completed , clicked 'Start Installation ' and got the error ''Server Internal Error' without more information. Using a usb for script files, the error does not appear and the installation completes successfully.
I had not happened to other versions of ServerStart , at least that I remember. Nor is logical that allows cancel storing script files but at the end of the wizard anything informative message error which is the problem appears.
Anyway , problem solved . Thanks to davie and gginerc , which gave me the idea in his last reply.

Regards

sambu
Product(s): primergy tx310m1

Postby sambu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 14:58

USB stick is the way!!
Though the GUI isn't not too user-friendly...

Return to “Server Products”