different hdd size...

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

babek

different hdd size...

Postby babek » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:23

hi.

i have Primergy RX200 S5 server which 4x300 gb hdd is installed. I have made two raid1. one with two hdd and second other two hdd. So i have two raid1 configured. in the first raid1 i have installed OS. And in second raid1 put ms sql databese. So now i see that the seocnd raid1 is full and needs more space as the ms sql data is growing up. Now i want to ask you how i can raplace hdds from second raid1 with new big size hdd? For example i want to buy two hdd with 900 gb size and raplace with the second raid1 disks. Just for more space only. During process i do not want to reinstall the OS which is in the first raid1. Is it possible?

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: different hdd size...

Postby Davie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49

If you are using the onboard SATA RAID (which only supports 4 disks) then you can't do it as you describe. You can't "grow" a RAID1 in that way. All you could do would be to backup the data from the 2nd volume, destroy the 2nd RAID, put two new disks in and create a new (bigger) RAID1 and restore the data.

If you are using the PCI SAS RAID card, then you should have two spare disk slots which you could put the new disks in - and then create a 3rd mirror on the new disks and migrate the data off the 2nd volume

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:52

Sure it*s possible...

Safest bet is probably the following sequence (if your RAIDs run on real RAID controller):
- stop all database services, (and perhaps make sure they don't start again at reboot for very safe)
- (very safe option: start system with independent Windows medium)
- insert the two new disks, and create a new RAID1
- copy all data from "old" second RAID1 to "new" (temporarily third) RAID1
- (very safe option: start system from first RAID1)
- change drive letters for the two RAID1 sets (assuming your M$ SQL runs in Windows) so that the "new" RAID1 gets the drive letter of the "old" RAID1
- start database services (and set them back to automatic start if necessary)
- optional: Decomission (or re-format) filesystem on "old" RAID1 or remove the disks
- Done.

NB: If there's no room for the additional two disks in your RX200s5 housing, or your RAID controller does not support a third Virtual Drive, you need to store away the data from your second RAID1 to external media, remove the disks for the second RAID1, insert the new bigger drives and create a RAID1 on them, finally restore data from external media. Benefit: You have a backup of your data on external media.

Edit:
Need to be quicker ;-)

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Postby Davie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:55

me@work wrote:Edit:
Need to be quicker ;-)

:lol:

babek

Postby babek » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:18