[U9200] Windows 7 Pro Globetrotter does not work with Modem

Moderator: ModTeam

myxal
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200 (T9300, 8GiB RAM, 250 GB SSD, multiboot Kubuntu, Win 2003)

Re: [U9200] Windows 7 Pro Globetrotter does not work with Mo

Postby myxal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 0:19

Hi,
no news on the GTM378, just dropping in to say that my GTM382 has arrived, meaning I will revive this thread. As a Linux user, drivers are (at this point) not a problem, but getting the firmware upgraded is a huge PITA on its own.

extrapurifier
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200

Postby extrapurifier » Wed Jun 09, 2010 13:49

@jmm666: I did the BIOS Update with disk. I downloaded the small ISO image and burned it on disk. After that, I did a boot with it and the flash was easy.

The PRovider is an UMTS provider and the connection is wokring. I did the laptop for a friend of mine and I do not tested personally how long the connection was up. But he didnt call me again so I think it works.

@Thort: When I did the driver installation I did the following:
Right-click on INF file and "Install" in context menu wont work!
1) Got to Control Panel (symbol view) and open Device Manager
2) There you will find the GlobeTrotter HSxPA modem with a yellow mark on it. Do a Richt-click and select "searching for driver on the PC" (sorry for translation but I use a german language version :-)
3) Next I didnt select the path to the downloaded drivers in the upper part of window. I clicked "Searching from a list of device drivers on the computer.
4) In the next window I clicked the button device (in German "Datenträger") and then I clicked through to the directory with dirvers. Within the directory I double-clicked any of the INF files.
5) After that I got the list with all drivers int he directory and selected the normal "GlobeTrotter HSxPA Modem drivers (not the version with module in the name)
6) Finish. After that a lot of new devices got found by device manager and you have to do that for each of it again (I think they were about 5 -7 devices). These are the GPS module, Application interfaces etc.

The driver which are provided in combinationw ith the GLobeTrotter Connect Software were not working on my Esprimo. After Installation of it, the Modem was also yellow marked in the device manager as before. I think the GlobeTrotter Connect Software comes without drivers instead of it'S title. I had to install each driver manually.

extrapurifier

Postby extrapurifier » Wed Jun 09, 2010 15:47

jmm666 wrote:i think perhaps purifier means 4.0.32, which can be loaded with the GTConnect package...

No! I dont mean 4.0.32. The GlobeTrotter Connect Package does not provide any kind of drivers. Within the package comes only the GTConnect Software, nothing else. I mean definitive the drivers in version which I posted!

jmm666
Product(s): esprimo u9200

Postby jmm666 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 16:00

extrapurifier wrote:The GlobeTrotter Connect Package does not provide any kind of drivers.

i dont agree, the fsc download link says:
"GT Connect 3.1d0-1107.32430_42472 with drivers 5.0.26.0 for GTM382 and driver 4.0.32.0 for GTM378 and Update URL to FTS Server"
and indeed if you delete the modem driver and then install the gtconnect package you do install drivers...
purifier, i'll try flashing my bios; lets see what happens...

Thort

Postby Thort » Wed Jun 09, 2010 19:36

extrapurifier wrote:@Thort: When I did the driver installation I did the following:
Right-click on INF file and "Install" in context menu wont work!
1) Got to Control Panel (symbol view) and open Device Manager
2) There you will find the GlobeTrotter HSxPA modem with a yellow mark on it. Do a Richt-click and select "searching for driver on the PC" (sorry for translation but I use a german language version :-)
3) Next I didnt select the path to the downloaded drivers in the upper part of window. I clicked "Searching from a list of device drivers on the computer.
4) In the next window I clicked the button device (in German "Datenträger") and then I clicked through to the directory with dirvers. Within the directory I double-clicked any of the INF files.
5) After that I got the list with all drivers int he directory and selected the normal "GlobeTrotter HSxPA Modem drivers (not the version with module in the name)
6) Finish. After that a lot of new devices got found by device manager and you have to do that for each of it again (I think they were about 5 -7 devices). These are the GPS module, Application interfaces etc.

The driver which are provided in combinationw ith the GLobeTrotter Connect Software were not working on my Esprimo. After Installation of it, the Modem was also yellow marked in the device manager as before. I think the GlobeTrotter Connect Software comes without drivers instead of it'S title. I had to install each driver manually.

Thanks extrapurifier for the detailed explanation! I've followed these steps and managed to install the drivers.

extrapurifier wrote:What I did:
1.) BIOS Update to 1.11 http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... 20-%20BIOS
2.) Installed Windows 7 Professional
3.) Installed all driver (not the "module" version, the normal one) from Fujitsu Support web site in version 4.0.2.32. Unfortunately the setup routine wouldnt work so I had to install them all manually via device manager in control panel. After that a reboot. http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... -%20GTM378
4.) Installed the GlobeTrotter Connect Software from Fujitsu Support web site in version 2.2.0.561 19289 01.10.2007 and did a reboot. http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... -%20GTM378
5.) Now it already detected the GTM378 modem and could initialize it also (YEAAAHHHH!!!! :-)
6.) Now I did the Firmware Update to version 2.5.13. I dont know why but the Firmware Update wouldnt work before the GlobeTrotter Software initialized the modem at first!? Strange but so it is. http://ts.fujitsu.com/support/linkappli ... EN&ID=3815

And now its working on my machine. Hopefully some one here with the same problem could reproduce my solution and approve it. Then we could change the subject to SOLVED :-)

So, now I have done step 1 to 3. But step 4 which install the connect software failed. The installation didn't start.

I am running Windows 7 Home 64 bit. I see the connect software is for 32 bit systems. Could it be the connect software is not compatible with 64 bit Windows 7? Are you, extrapurifier, running Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 17:58

myxal wrote:Do make sure the SATA AHCI setting is the same after update, Windows doesn't like it when you switch it after installation.

myxal, can you explain AHCI? How can i check that?

myxal
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200 (T9300, 8GiB RAM, 250 GB SSD, multiboot Kubuntu, Win 2003)

Postby myxal » Thu Jun 10, 2010 19:58

AHCI, I think it's called "Native" mode in the U9200's BIOS setup. The other mode is "compatible" I think, which is needed if you must install Windows xp from a non-slipstreamed disc (virgin xp disc doesn't have drivers for the AHCI mode, so it detects no HDD and can't be installed that way).
Just make a note of the setting before flashing and make sure it's the same afterwards.

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:50

last question: do i need to modify current bios to make it boot on cd drive before updating?

myxal

Postby myxal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 18:46

jmm666 wrote:last question: do i need to modify current bios to make it boot on cd drive before updating?

Not sure what you're talking about - just boot from the CD. If the BIOS is set to boot from CD, let it boot. If not, either set it so that it does (boot from CD first) or press the boot menu key while the computer is POST-ing (F11 I think it was).

Thort

Postby Thort » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:59

Good News! My modem is working!
Here I am working on my computer, and suddenly I see there is a message in Windows 7 Message Center. I click on the white flag and opens up the message. It talks about a driver missing driver. And it says its for the Globetrotter modem. And there is a download link for the driver. So, I download it, extract it, and install it. Windows installs the drivers and the connect software. And now it's exiting! I click the installed Globetrotter icon. And the program finds the modem! All I have to do is to put in my sim pin-code. And I am connected to Internet.

The name of the driver file is: WWAN_VT64_090203.zip The Windows 7 Message Center download link has disappeared, but I googled for the driver and found this download page: http://www.asusdriver.net/asus-n80vn-notebook-utilities-driver-21.html The page is for an Asus 80Vn Notebook. Apparently it is using the Globetrotter modem. As I can see the driver is for Windows Vista and Windows 7, 64 bit systems.

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 13:37

careful guys, my avast tells me this asusdriver site hosts malware... i was looking for a 32-bit driver but couldnt find it and - given the threat - wont keep looking...
unfortunately, after uninstalling all drivers for the gtm, my windows maintenance center does not offer any solution like for you thort...

Thort

Postby Thort » Sat Jun 12, 2010 17:04

jmm666 wrote:(Thort, Windows 7 Message Center -> do you mean windows update?)

Sorry for my bad translation. I'm using Windows 7 in the Swedish language and I didn't know the corresponding term in English. What I meant was Windows 7 Action Center. This new Windows 7 feature gives all sort of information and solutions about different problems occurring on the system. The Action Center stores all upcoming events in a log. Here is a screendump from that log. It's the Action Center window presenting a solution for my missing modem driver.

jmm666 wrote:careful guys, my avast tells me this asusdriver site contains malware

If the site contains malware it's bad. Then, of course, we have to avoid it.

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 15:56

- bad news, 3G/UMTS connection doesnt work for me, even after updating bios to 1.11...
- tried all possible combinations with GTConnect v2 or v3 and modem drivers 4.0.2.32 or 4.0.17 (btw, 4.0.32 doesnt exist - sorry for the confusion, there is a typo in the fsc download link for the GTC3 package @ http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... Networking - this package in fact installs 4.0.2.32)
- am now with bios 1.11, gtm378 2.5.13 firmware, gtc v3 and 4.0.2.32 drivers, and the connection is (unpredictably) either non existent or extremely slow, sluggish and unusable:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (48.93 KiB) Viewed 14573 times

- cant figure out whats wrong, perhaps my win7 build (6.01.7600) or something wrong in the registry...?

Thort

Postby Thort » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:55

Hi again!

I've just installed Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit in dualboot with Windows 7 Home 64 bit.

Just wanted to report that the Globetrotter modem was immediately recognized by Ubuntu. All I had to do was to follow the Ubuntu Broadband Connecting Guide. The guide has a lot of Internet Service Providers from a lot of countries in a long list. I just had to choose my country and provider.
Last edited by Thort on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

myxal

Postby myxal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:40

Can any of you guys enable and check if the GPS works? My GTM382 appears to work (I'm seeing empty sentences), but can't get a fix on the position as if the antenna wasn't getting any GPS signals.

Return to “ESPRIMO Mobile”