Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200

[U9200] Windows 7 Pro Globetrotter does not work with Modem

Postby extrapurifier » Sat May 29, 2010 10:31

Hi folks,

Context:
- Esprimo Mobile U9200
- BIOS 1.11 (latest version)

Problem:
I have installed Windows 7 Professional, and everything works, except for the UMTS modem. I tried the software and drivers from the Fujitsu site and also those directly from the Options page. Either recognize the Globetrotter software (v2.5 and v3 and v3.1) the modem or not, however I can not enter user name, password, etc.. The fields are "grayed out".

I would be glad if I help here who can. About the search I have unfortunately not found a post that solves my problem.

Thank you so much!

extrapurifier

Re: [U9200] Windows 7 Pro Globetrotter does not work with Mo

Postby extrapurifier » Sat May 29, 2010 10:40

What I forgot: I also tried it with Vista Business and Windows XP (all Windows Installations with all Updates). I spent more than 20 working hours on this issue ... :cry:

jmm666
Product(s): esprimo u9200

Postby jmm666 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:28

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=42395
this issue has been going on for quite a while...
unfortunately i'm afraid it's hopeless: fsc would rather have you buy a new computer than spend time and money updating soft/firm-ware...

myxal
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200 (T9300, 8GiB RAM, 250 GB SSD, multiboot Kubuntu, Win 2003)

Postby myxal » Sun May 30, 2010 23:46

Have you tried driver version 4? > http://www.option.com/en/support/softwa ... s/gtm378e/ If the software doesn't work, try using windows' own utilities.
You could get a different (internal) modem. I have U9200 with no modem and am now waiting for GTM382 to arrive. Not sure if I'll have anything to report other than laptop booting with it (no Windows 7 installation atm).

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:46

ok, i'll try a description of the issue as complete as i can remember (note there are 3 or 4 pieces of soft/firmware involved: the modem's firmware, the modem's drivers, GTConnect program and possibly the BIOS):
1. the problem starts with Win7 installation about a year ago - at this time, i was running the original GTConnect v2 (i dont know which modem drivers were being used) - the modem (GTM378) was recognized but kept disconnecting from the network - the problem is not with the 3G network (SFR in France) because if I use the Huawei external modem they provide it works fine...
2. I then installed GTConnect v3 provided by FSC (http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... Networking), which includes its own v4 drivers - with that, the modem was not even recognized - not too surprising, as fsc warns that "Works, but no support and not tested for ESPRIMO Mobile U9200" (i remember posting that it had now been tested and that it didnt work)...
3. I recently found and installed a firmware update (2.5.13Hd) and now the modem is recognized but it keeps disconnecting as before, so we're back to problem 1...

Possible solutions:
- I know there exists a newer firmware, 2.5.17, but i havent been able to find it - however, i doubt this would solve the issue as the modem being recognized seems as a satisfactory condition for firmware...
- changing the modem to the newer GTM382? i called fsc france and the price is an outrageous 300 euros, not even being sure that this would solve the issue (but pls let us know myxal when you get yours, although you seem to imply that you're not under win7?)
- clearly, the issue seems to lie with the drivers, perhaps in relationship with the BIOS - of course i also tried the v4 directly provided by Option, which mentions that "For a system upgrade to Windows 7 (my case) you can use older drivers but for a new Windows 7 system you need these drivers" - not surprising that these dont work either as they're probably the same as those provided by fsc with the GTConnect v3 package...

Myxal, i dont know what you mean by "try using windows' own utilities" - i dont know of any windows modem drivers... you seem to be answering most posts... do you have any relationship with fsc? would you know how to get these infos through to their developpers?

myxal
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200 (T9300, 8GiB RAM, 250 GB SSD, multiboot Kubuntu, Win 2003)

Postby myxal » Mon May 31, 2010 19:05

jmm666 wrote:Myxal, i dont know what you mean by "try using windows' own utilities" - i dont know of any windows modem drivers... you seem to be answering most posts... do you have any relationship with fsc? would you know how to get these infos through to their developpers?

Nope, I'm just a user :-) No, I haven't used Win7 yet for 3G connections. What I mean by "windows' own utilities": If you see the device as a modem under device manager, you could probably make a new connection with it - if the "Add new connections wizard" or something allows you to add a (3G) PPP (modem connection) - you will need various information (number to dial, APN, username/password if present, IP adresses if needed) - fill it out manually and try to connect. I don't know if Win7 can do this and how much extra configuration needs to be done to get connected without the GTConnect (some special modem init commands may be necessary too). Alternatively, if you can get the modem recognized and GTConnect to add a PPP connection to your list, look at this connection's properties and check that everything is correct (what do you mean by "keeps disconnecting" - does it fail after some time or immediately after you try to connect?)

Wrt GTM382: 300€? Ouch, that's even more than the 170 a local e-shop is asking for it. Anyway, I'm getting mine from e-Bay - there are lots of sellers from China/Hong Kong who sell it for $65 atm (I should have bought it a few weeks ago - the euro was stronger and the modem was $5 cheaper). I don't know if it works but so far my laptop allowed me to install a completely unsupported (not sold with this model) W-LAN card (Atheros AR-9281) so I'm guessing that "unsupported hardware" is not deliberately blocked as is the case with HP and Thinkpads.
About it solving your problem - well, unlike the GTM 378, the 382 specs list Win7 as a "fully supported" OS. But like I said, I have no experience with this - I may get around installing Win 7 around the time it should arrive (~4 weeks) so I could check then.

extrapurifier

Postby extrapurifier » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:30

Hi Folks,

I got it!!! I got the UMTS modem running under Windows 7 Professional. After spending about 26 working hours on this issue and dealing with the unbelievable mixtures of BIOS, OS, drivers, GT Connect Software and GTM378 Firmware, the following walk through with especial versions in especial order results.

Initial situation:
- Esprimo Mobile U9200
- BIOS 1.09
- Windows Vista Business
- GTM378 with Firmware 2.3.3

What I did:
1.) BIOS Update to 1.11 http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... 20-%20BIOS
2.) Installed Windows 7 Professional
3.) Installed all driver (not the "module" version, the normal one) from Fujitsu Support web site in version 4.0.2.32. Unfortunately the setup routine wouldnt work so I had to install them all manually via device manager in control panel. After that a reboot. http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... -%20GTM378
4.) Installed the GlobeTrotter Connect Software from Fujitsu Support web site in version 2.2.0.561 19289 01.10.2007 and did a reboot. http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... -%20GTM378
5.) Now it already detected the GTM378 modem and could initialize it also (YEAAAHHHH!!!! :-)
6.) Now I did the Firmware Update to version 2.5.13. I dont know why but the Firmware Update wouldnt work before the GlobeTrotter Software initialized the modem at first!? Strange but so it is. http://ts.fujitsu.com/support/linkappli ... EN&ID=3815

And now its working on my machine. Hopefully some one here with the same problem could reproduce my solution and approve it. Then we could change the subject to SOLVED :-)

myxal

Postby myxal » Fri Jun 04, 2010 13:11

extrapurifier wrote:6.) Now I did the Firmware Update to version 2.5.13. I dont know why but the Firmware Update wouldnt work before the GlobeTrotter Software initialized the modem at first!? Strange but so it is. http://ts.fujitsu.com/support/linkappli ... EN&ID=3815

I'm wondering about this: do the internal modules have ZeroCD feature? Seems a bit pointless but whatever. What does this "initializing" look like? Does windows 7 make sounds like it usually does when connecting and disconnecting hardware? It would make sense that when you couldn't find the modem, it was because it didn't switch from zeroCD to modem mode - assuming the zeroCD mode is there.

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 23:48

i was with 4.0.17 driver and with 4.0.2.32 i seemed to notice a slight improvement but the modem still keeps disconnecting and/or refuses connection - so now the only difference is that i'm under 1.10 bios - so i'd like to try 1.11, but my concerns are:
- i'm ALREADY under win7Pro and am wondering if i can update the bios without damage...
- purifier, did you make a cd iso to flash the bios? could it be done otherwise? (i seem to remember i previously updated my bios without making a disc; and what is the "bup" file available at fsc?)

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:16

wow myxal, i see what you mean - like http://pzolee.blogs.balabit.com/2010/05 ... ows-7.html for example? - that sounds like hell! i confirm that like purifier i couldnt install the firmware without having a driver installed - and i dont remember any windows sounds...
purifier, i forgot to ask you, to make sure your modem is really working, do you have a 3G provider? and are you able to go on internet, browsing (i.e. changing webpages) for >10 min?

myxal

Postby myxal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 22:10

@jmm666
Wrt BIOS updates: not having any OS installed at the time, bootable CD BIOS update was my only option, works with no problems. I think BIOS update was one of the first thing I've done to the laptop when I got it. Couldn't find a reason not to do it. Do make sure the SATA AHCI setting is the same after update, Windows doesn't like it when you switch it after installation.
ZeroCD: yeah, that blog describes it accurately, and if the drivers just won't work under Win7, that is one (albeit heavy-handed) solution. Like I said though, I find it pointless for an internal module to have this - do you actually see the module's "CD drive" or some other storage medium? I couldn't find any evidence that would suggest zeroCD on Option's internal modules. If there's absolutely no device in your device manager, it is likely a problem with the wireless killswitch, which is ACPI, which is BIOS - yet another reason to update. If it is the zeroCD that's causing problems, it's possible to work around it by booting an OS where the modem will switch from storage to modem mode (xp, probably Linux too), then reboot to Win7. In fact, you could probably use xp mode to switch it, too.

Thort

Postby Thort » Sun Jun 06, 2010 21:28

extrapurifier wrote:
What I did:
1.) BIOS Update to 1.11 http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... 20-%20BIOS
2.) Installed Windows 7 Professional
3.) Installed all driver (not the "module" version, the normal one) from Fujitsu Support web site in version 4.0.2.32. Unfortunately the setup routine wouldnt work so I had to install them all manually via device manager in control panel. After that a reboot. http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... -%20GTM378
4.) Installed the GlobeTrotter Connect Software from Fujitsu Support web site in version 2.2.0.561 19289 01.10.2007 and did a reboot. http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... -%20GTM378
5.) Now it already detected the GTM378 modem and could initialize it also (YEAAAHHHH!!!! :-)
6.) Now I did the Firmware Update to version 2.5.13. I dont know why but the Firmware Update wouldnt work before the GlobeTrotter Software initialized the modem at first!? Strange but so it is. http://ts.fujitsu.com/support/linkappli ... EN&ID=3815

And now its working on my machine. Hopefully some one here with the same problem could reproduce my solution and approve it. Then we could change the subject to SOLVED :-)

Hi!

I also have an Esprimo Mobile U9200 laptop. I'm trying to follow these steps in order to make my Globetrotter modem work in Windows 7.

But I can't install the driver suggested in step 3. When trying to install the driver manually in the Device Manager Windows can't find it.

If someone have a solution I would be thankful.

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:11

i think perhaps purifier means 4.0.32, which can be loaded with the GTConnect package from http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/ ... Networking
or you can install 4.0.17 (for probably the same results) @ http://www.option.com/en/support/software-download after entering your imei number...
pls let us know if it works...

Thort

Postby Thort » Mon Jun 07, 2010 18:24

Thanks jmm666 for your reply! I do appreciate your help.

I've downloaded and installed the GTConnect package with driver 4.0.32, as you suggested. But no progress. When running the program, after a computer restart, the program doesn't find the modem.

In the Device Manager the Globetrotter modem turns up with a yellow exclamation mark. And when opening up the information about the device it tells there is no driver installed. So, the driver included in the GTConnect package wasn't installed.

I think I remember, before, when I was running Vista on the machine, when looking into the Device Manager, the Globetrotter modem turned up as a COM 3 device.

One thing I'm wondering about. Before, when running Vista on the computer, the network button beside the power button, gave a menu with three options when pushed:

1) Turning the WLAN on and off.
2) Turning Bluetooth on and off.
3) Turning UMTS on and off.

Now, when pushing the button no menu appear, but I can see the WLAN is turned on and off. Could it be, the button affects the Globetrotter modem in some way?

jmm666

Postby jmm666 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 23:46

I've downloaded and installed the GTConnect package with driver 4.0.32, as you suggested. But no progress. When running the program, after a computer restart, the program doesn't find the modem.

do you know which firmware you have? you need at least 2.5.13... unfortunately i cant remember where i found it...
One thing I'm wondering about. Before, when running Vista on the computer, the network button beside the power button, gave a menu with three options when pushed:
Now, when pushing the button no menu appear, but I can see the WLAN is turned on and off. Could it be, the button affects the Globetrotter modem in some way?

that seems like an unrelated issue - i've seen posts in this forum that might be relevant...

Return to “ESPRIMO Mobile”