I have a similar problem, but it has more trouble moving right than moving left. Until reading these posts, I thought it might be due to RF interference in the 2.4 GHz band. At one point, the keyboard stopped responding completely, and the only way I got it to work again was to restore an old backup image which I made after FSC's service had replaced my motherboard and reinstalled the system. This makes me suspect a SW problem, but I have no idea what kind!
Has anyone ever gotten the "connect" buttons on the Scaleo E and its keyboard to do anything? I never have seen any effect. On other RF keyboards, pressing these in the prescribed sequence usually reinititalizes the RF link, which can eliminate flakiness, especially if due to interference.
P.S. After restoring an old image, from a time when the trackball was working, the symptoms are still the same. In fact, there are now sometimes problems moving the cursor to the left, although movement to the right is still worse.
2 more questions:
1. To those of you who cleaned the trackball, how did you get the bezel ring off? My attempts have been unsuccessful. I have tried turning it in both directions, but it feels like it's glued on. Is a special tool or technique necessary/recommended?
2. Has anyone found a source for a replacement? When the trackball was working, I found the keyboard quite ergonomic, and I like the compact dimensions. It appears similar to http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/eingabegeraete/hd_wireless_keyboard/index_en.html
. Has anyone tried to use this with Scaleo E's built-in RF interface? My USB connections are already all in use.
P.P.S. The original keyboard now works like new!
Here's what I did:
1. I removed the trackball cover by using a pair of tweezers to twist it 1/8 turn counter-clockwise.
2. I washed the trackball using liquid dishwashing detergent and dried it off.
3. I used a miniature vacuum cleaner intended for cleaning keyboards to remove the "flunge" from around the 3 small white plastic balls and the 2 rubber wheels which contact the trackball when it is in place.
4. I used Q-tips moistened in 94% isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface deposits from the rubber wheels. This was a tedious process. It took several minutes of stroking the wheels diagonally in order to slowly advance them and clean all 360 degrees of their surfaces. Be careful to use at least 90% alcohol. Lower concentrations may leave behind water deposits, which can eventually lead to corrosion.
5. After letting the trackball cage dry out, I replaced the trackball and its cover, using the tweezers again to lock the cover in place by rotating it 1/8 turn clockwise.
It's working very well now, I'm glad I didn't give up on it!