Fujitsu Amilo M3438G laptop Hard Disc

Moderator: ModTeam

youngres
Product(s): Amilo M serries laptop M3438G

Fujitsu Amilo M3438G laptop Hard Disc

Postby youngres » Wed Apr 01, 2009 22:17

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
My hard disc is becomming full on my Amilo M and reading the manual it says I can fit a second hard drive. Opening up the bottom, although there is room I can see no way to connect an extra drive. And if I did, the book talks about a RAID control (which I've installed) but can't understand what it does.
So the questions are - can I fit an extra hard disc.
What sort do I get and if so how do I fit it and will it increase the capacity?
Thanks, Robert

bobdcruz
Product(s): M3438G Notebook

Re: Fujitsu Amilo M3438G laptop Hard Disc

Postby bobdcruz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:56

Hi Robert,

I have the same laptop as you and installed a larger hard disk last year. You should find two 80GB hard disks inside the bottom cover if it is a 160GB machine. The new disk I bought was a Samsung 250GB SCSI unit, and cost about €80. Note however that, though it should be a case of simply unplugging one old disk and plugging in the new one it is good if you know a little about Raid controllers. Sadly, I did not, and managed to jam the computer as it could not boot with the new disk. I had to send it in to a workshop for them to wipe both disks and reinstall them.

I suggest you buy your preferred disk and then get an expert to install it. It shouldn't cost much but then you will leave all the headaches to them.

Good luck :)

Bob

thapostol

Postby thapostol » Thu Jul 09, 2009 19:42

Does m3438 work with a 250Gb HDD? I thought it was not compatible.
FSC AMILO M3438G (=>bummer<=)

bubblegum
Product(s): Scaleo T: Esprimo D9510 (work):Scaleo P

Postby bubblegum » Thu Jul 09, 2009 22:41

If you don't actually have a second hard disk, then it not set up as a raid. If you don't know what RAID is, then my advice is stay away from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Personally, I would Image (seagate disk utilities is free) the drive you already have, then, install a new larger hard disk in place of the original.

Then restore the image to the new drive.

After that, fit the original drive in the second bay, you can then format this & use it to store documents.

To find out the type of drive you already have, google for the part & model number. You could have a SATA or IDE drive.
Use anti virus, backup your data, use google.
POST BACK EVEN IF THE HELP DOESN'T HELP.

A Thank You would be nice if I have helped.

UK MP's are thieving scumbags

youngres
Product(s): Amilo M serries laptop M3438G

Postby youngres » Sat Aug 22, 2009 21:02

[quote="bubblegum"]If you don't actually have a second hard disk, then it not set up as a raid. If you don't know what RAID is, then my advice is stay away from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Personally, I would Image (seagate disk utilities is free) the drive you already have, then, install a new larger hard disk in place of the original.

Then restore the image to the new drive.

After that, fit the original drive in the second bay, you can then format this & use it to store documents.

I have installed a second HDD with the Fujitsu kit of parts and used a Fujitsu 160GB second HDD but the computer just hangs when the second drive is attached, so how do I go about solving this issue - Fujitsu technical have been no help at all.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”