[V5505] Annoyingly slow booting ang logging in

Moderator: ModTeam

etiainen
Product(s): V5505

[V5505] Annoyingly slow booting ang logging in

Postby etiainen » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:06

Hello guys.

I have a problem with my V5505 laptop. It's been booting up and logging in very slowly.
I know it's not because of faulty Windows because I formatted and clean installed it, and the problem remained.

OK, so the problems are the following:

After the WindowsXP shlash screen (whose loading time is average), it takes about 20-30seconds for the welcome/login screen to appear. No HDD performance at this time.

After I log in, it takes 30-50seconds for the desktop to appear, and another 20seconds for the actual icons appear and startup programs initialize to load. HDD performance very occasional / rare.

Can anyone try to help me? Which programs should I diagnose this with?

Many thanks in advance!

pecko88
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile v5505

Re: [V5505] Annoyingly slow booting ang logging in

Postby pecko88 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 22:44

Try to install the latest drivers from intel.
Choose your OS and download them here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product ... uctID=2101
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product ... ductID=816
or you can run the driver identification utility:
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

Complete list of drivers for your intel devices is located here (XP Profesional only):
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_ ... bmit=Go%21

etiainen

Postby etiainen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 23:42

Thanks very much for your reply.

Unfortunately this didn't solve the slow booting time :( I updated the drivers to the newest version and I even ran the autoupdate, to no avail.

qwak
Product(s): ESPRIMO MOBILE V5535
Bought on April 08
Intel Celeron 1.8Mhz - 1.5 GB RAM

Postby qwak » Mon May 04, 2009 3:23

I had exactly that same problem, 30 seconds waiting, and finally found the solution.

In my case it was caused by having changed my internet connection settings, the IP, TCP/IP, DNS and so on. I did it to get a faster connection and being able to open ports to use ***** and BitTorrent, but for some reason it slows down the booting of Windows a lot.

CHanging all of that and returning it to the default solved my problem. I also spent days looking for the solution.

- Click on your wifi or ethernet connection icon on the system tray (right side below)
- Choose properties
- Scroll down and choose TCP/IP protocol
- Properties button (right below)
- It should be only marked the first option of each block (automatic IP) everything else must be blank
- Do the same in the other tab
- Close

- Do the same in the wifi or ethernet connection if you have the two of them.
- Restart the computer one or two times and see.

If it doesn't solve the problem then it is something else. In my case it happens every time I do that.

pecko88
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile v5505

Postby pecko88 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:01

@qwak, I havent expirienced a problem like this and I often change my Internet connection settigns from manual to auto and vice versa.
Cose I connect to a 4 deferent providers (deferent location..e.g. home, work) which require deferent Internet connection settings.

@etiainen, I would sugest that you download a sofware like autoruns and see what programs are runing automaticly with windows start up.
1. You can download the latest version from microsoft's technet:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 63902.aspx

2. You can also do a disk and registry clean up to see if that helps.
3. Disk defragmentation might also help.

For now just do step one to see if it will resolve the issue.

qwak
Bought on April 08

Postby qwak » Wed May 06, 2009 8:25

Well of course it is a rare problem, but it happens to other people too as I found the solution in Google under "extremely slow start up".

When it takes that long I bet it is not a problem of the start up programs, registry or fragmentation. In my case and other people's too, the computer starts normal until it shows the wallpaper and stays there for ages until it shows the icons and bar. It was a DNS problem.

For what pecko suggests I suggest using CCleaner and Defraggler, they do all tht cleaning fast. I use Ccleaner for many years to have my start up programs always empty and to clean the rubbish files. To clean the Registry I prefer Argente. And to defrag, defraggler. I use those 3 almost daily.

Cheers

etiainen

Postby etiainen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:18

Hi people, thanks for all your replies.

I checked, and I've had automatic IP resolving all the time. I even booted up with wlan and lan cards disabled, but it didn't solve my problem.

I'll try diagnosis with the above mentioned autorun program. The laptop works a treat on Kubuntu (except for bluetooth, which apparently works only using the damn 3rd party toshiba launch manager), so it MUST be a driver issue.

I'm planning on selling my laptop and getting one with a more powerful gfx card, but I can't sell it in this condition, and I don't have the driver CD anymore. This is maybe a stupid question, but can it be downloaded via ISO? I'm sure that the drivers supplied on the CD, regardless of their version, worked 100%, while the latest ones available from intel's website seem to be buggy.

Thanks in advance, mates

etiainen

Postby etiainen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:03

Ladies and gentlemen, I found a solution

The problem was: My stupidity :)

The whole problem was that I had an empty SD-card adapter (without a micro-SD card plugged inside it).
I know it caused some havoc in windows when I accidentally opened the SD reader, but, as I found out yesterday, it also caused the boot lag.
I removed it, windows booted up in seconds. I put it back, and it was slow agian. I repeated a few times, and I can tell for sure that it's the empty card adapter

Thank you all for your suggestions and for trying to help me, and I also apologize.
Oh well, I learned a new thing or two, one of them being 'do not keep an empty SD-card adapter in your card slot' :)

Cheers!

qwak
Bought on April 08

Postby qwak » Thu Jun 18, 2009 17:48

Never sell an old computer without erasing your hard disk completely. Lots of personal data remain there and can bring you big trouble. You think you deleted everything but most times any file is recoverable partly or completely. Many people,specially from repair and second hand computer shops search all computers in search of personal data.

There is a tool to erase everything completely named Dban

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

Burn it on a CD and run it. It will take hours but will destroy every data quite safely. You can reinstall the Operating System later if you want to sell it with it. I prefer a completely empty and clean one.

Return to “ESPRIMO Mobile”