[Li2727] recovery disc

Moderator: ModTeam

nuttynelly
Product(s): notebook amilo li 2727

[Li2727] recovery disc

Postby nuttynelly » Thu Jan 01, 2009 17:52

i have tried to do the back up disc for the recovery and after inserting dvd disc the data goes gets burned until the last 30 seconds and it just stops nothing else happens and eventually goes to verifying disc then it comes up with disc error. i have tried 2 diferrent dvdr discs and the disc drive wont even acknowledge dvdrw discs,
any advice will be greatly appreciated.

TNGC
Product(s): Li2735, M1451G and Loox 560

Re: [li2727] recovery disc

Postby TNGC » Sat Jan 03, 2009 17:45

have you tried dvd+r's ?

nuttynelly
Product(s): notebook amilo li 2727

Postby nuttynelly » Sun Jan 04, 2009 20:01

yes
my sister got a laptop same time same model so going to try see if her recovery works or not

theaton56
Product(s): Amilo Li2727

Postby theaton56 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 0:19

Any further info as to how it went ??

Yass
Product(s): AMILO Li 2727
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic - Service Pack 1

Postby Yass » Sat Jan 17, 2009 19:53

My friend has recently got an AMILO Li 2727 and the recovery option came up but we didnt have any DVD+r discs so we just closed it down. That was few days ago. We now have the DVD+r discs but the window that comes up to tell us to run the recovery disc process does not have a "Next" button at the bottom allowing us to press "NEXT" and follow the process. So I am completely confused how to kick this process off manually.

Does anyone have any idea :idea: how to kick it off manually?

Regards
Yass

TNGC

Postby TNGC » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:57

During the boot process, press the F8 key at very frequent intervals, until the menu
"Advanced Boot Options" appears. That will give you the "Repair your Computer"
function. Once Windows has loaded a few files, "System Recovery Options" will come up,
select the option "Fujitsu Siemens Computers Recovery" with the sub-item "Easy backup and recovery
of your system". and away you go...

Yass
Product(s): AMILO Li 2727
Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic - Service Pack 1

Postby Yass » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:52

Hi TNGC,
Thanks for your input. I did find some other post telling me to press the F8 key but after that it was not very clear as to what path to follow. As this is my friends brand new PC, I didnt want to go messing about without being 100% sure I was on the right track. Thanks for your input. Moving forward, the backup process has just finished. It says the following:-

Backup Factory Default Settings:-
Factory default settings backed up successfully
You have backed up the factory default settings
You can use these disks to restore the factory default settings whenever you want
Take good care of these disks, as the factory default settings can only be backed up to DVD once.

I assume these disks would be used in the event of a hard disk failure. However if you take an image of the hard disk using an application like "Acronis True Image" then these disks would not be required to restore the image onto a replacement hard drive. Is that your understanding also? Please clarify.
Best regards
Yass

TNGC

Postby TNGC » Sun Jan 18, 2009 13:04

Yup the disks are only for HDD total failure, otherwise you use the setup in the hidden partition.

Depends at what stage you take the image, the FSC returns your drive to virgin (it go's through the setup at first start) if you take an image of the drive , your image will be a copy of your working setup. As long as your acronis image includes the FSC hidden partition then you can't go wrong either way.

Gugustiuc
Product(s): Amilo Li 2727

Postby Gugustiuc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 20:27

I also just bought an Amilo Li 2727 today, and am having the same (similar?) problems with the "Fujitsu Siemens Computers Recovery" system.

The first time the drive popped out the first DVD while it wasn't yet done, but still went through the process, and eventually got stuck while verifying the second DVD, before having a "write error!" At the second try, the same write error at verification happened during the verifying of the first DVD.

Gugustiuc

Postby Gugustiuc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:35

A couple other concerns:

The manual says at least 3 DVDs will be required. However, the FSCR only says that 2 will be used. Browsing around the 'net for information on the recovery program, I read at least one other situation where someone was asked to put in a 3rd restore disc, but didn't have one. Do I have anything to worry about here?

Why does it ask for the DVDs to be labeled "Recovery #1" / "Recovery #2" before being placed into the drive? As far as I know, it isn't possible to label a DVD without actually burning it (in which case it wouldn't be available any longer for storing the recovery files).

According to the manual, this is important as the discs can somehow "become mixed up during the restore process" if they are not labeled properly. Therefore, how does one go about with this labeling process?

TNGC

Postby TNGC » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:52

If you are using DVD+r's then it should burn, but a lot of people are having problems and i'm afraid i can't give you a solution. the make of burner they are using seems a bit ropey, although i was able to make a backup i had some grief just reading some disks with it in windows.

The backup should only need two disks, the first is a boot disk and the second holds the install files (the first would have fitted on a cd,but FSC want u to use a dvd :? )

As for the labelling , i think they are just meaning to write it on the disk with a pen.

Gugustiuc

Postby Gugustiuc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:28

Thanks for the information, TNGC.

I'm hoping to go look for some DVD+R today. I had been using DVD-R (the manual says either is ok), but have read here that DVD+R are preferred.

On a side note, I was running the FS hardware check in Windows (forget the actual name of that program), and the DVD drive would not test, even though I put a DVD in it. It said to put in a CD/DVD and retry.

It's nice to know that the first recovery disc is in fact small in file size. As it was only 100+ MB, I had been worrying that perhaps that wasn't copying properly, either.

About the labels, at first I thought it meant something like what you said. The wording almost convinced me otherwise, though. Still, what you say makes sense.

Will let you know whether there's any success with the DVD+R. Thank you again for the advice.

Gugustiuc

Postby Gugustiuc » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:38

Well, the recovery DVDs have finally been successfully made. Actually, a write error still occurred the first time using DVD+R. Second try, everything went through without a hitch. So, thank God, it looks like everything is in place now.

andful
Product(s): Amilo Li 2735

Postby andful » Tue Jan 27, 2009 21:07

I was lucky as i created the recovery discs without a hitch, a couple of things i would like to point out are:-

You must use DVD+ Discs to create the backups

You have to be very patient when creating the backup discs, i was tempted after 20 minites to eject the disc as i thought the burn process had frozen in the creation of the second disc, but i persevered and the second disc was eventually created in around 30 mins.

gwellyn
Product(s): AMILO L7320GW

Postby gwellyn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 15:52

HI,does anyone know where i can buy/obtain the recovery cd's for a Amilo L7320GW LAPTOP THANK YOU.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”