[xi 3650] access raid menu

Moderator: ModTeam

pifpaf73
Product(s): amilo xi 3650

[xi 3650] access raid menu

Postby pifpaf73 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 18:50

hello,

How open the menu intel raid at startup not the matrix storage manager in windows) ? i tried ctrl + i dont work.....

Thanks

johnvfc
Product(s): AMILO Xi 3650, AMILO A 1630

Re: [xi 3650] access raid menu

Postby johnvfc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:56

Hello,

I have exactly the same question but I haven't found anything so far.

You can also check the following post http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35433

Ioannis

labster
Product(s): Amilo

Postby labster » Thu Jan 08, 2009 20:09

Hello. I have been forcing the same problem and I have found the cause and solution.

There is a bug in the Xi 3650 structure that allows to access the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (Ctrl+I before the BIOS appears) only when You have the external screen plugged in. (The manager will be displayed on the external screen) I think the internal screen is initialised only by the FSC Bios (the Intel storage manager is invoked before the FSC bios and thats why it does not seem to appear on the internal screen).

Be aware to backup Your whole volume (by norton Ghost for example, version 9 is enough) before changing the raid settings. When you create a raid matrix all disk data (the FSC restore partition also) will be destroyed and you shall restore it from the image created by norton ghost. You can use a prepared BartPE, and when You include the property drivers you can be able to copy the image to some external storage device- like pen drive. Don't store on the Xi 3650 drives cause it will be destroyed.

I forgot to add that to make the vista working after the restoration from ghost image you need to have the vista bootable installation CD from somewhere. If vista crashes - boot from the cd and try to fix the current installation (it will fix the master boot record). After this you will have complete restored system working with RAID 0.

I hope this would help!

pifpaf73

Postby pifpaf73 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 21:57

labster wrote:Hello. I have been forcing the same problem and I have found the cause and solution.

There is a bug in the Xi 3650 structure that allows to access the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (Ctrl+I before the BIOS appears) only when You have the external screen plugged in. (The manager will be displayed on the external screen) I think the internal screen is initialised only by the FSC Bios (the Intel storage manager is invoked before the FSC bios and thats why it does not seem to appear on the internal screen).

I hope this would help!

Thank it that the screen is black when i try ctrl + i, i have no external screen no ways to use the intel manager?

i create the raid 0 in intel storage manager in vista menu and it work, no reinstall needed :), i want just know the solution to use the bios menu if i need :)

johnvfc

Postby johnvfc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 22:55

Hello

I connected an external monitor and the only thing I managed to do is to display the BIOS setup screen on the external monitory by pressing the key Fn + F10. That was working fine.
Whenever I tried to press CTRL + I (before BIOS screen) the laptop screeen was set to black (Apparently I was in the RAID menu but it was not visible on the screen) then I tried Fn + F10 to set the display on the external Monitor but the monitor was displaying rubbish (vertical and horizontal colorful lines). I also tried to connect via HDMI but this was not recognized at all.
I use the monitor from windows vista and works fine (Samsung 22 Inch Synchmaster).

Still, it is unacceptable to access the RAID menu using an external monitor. Fujitsu Siemens should release a BIOS Patch or something to fix this issue.

Anyone else tried to use external monitor?

Ioannis

pifpaf73

Postby pifpaf73 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 14:16

all tel fujitsu support to solve this bug in bios....

I try external monitor and dont work...

labster wrote:Hello. I have been forcing the same problem and I have found the cause and solution.

I hope this would help!

can you explain more details lol for me this solution dont work lol

misterpirat
Product(s): FSC amilo XI3650

Postby misterpirat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 16:15

pifpaf73 wrote:all tel fujitsu support to solve this bug in bios....

I try external monitor and dont work...

I hope this would help!

can you explain more details lol for me this solution dont work lol

may be it work becose you did not upgrade the bios
the new bios release resolve the bug that you use to access to raid ;)
what's your bios version ??

johnvfc

Postby johnvfc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 21:04

I have update to the latest BIOS version 1.0E (PHENIX) but still I am not able to access the RAID menu.

pifpaf73

Postby pifpaf73 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 17:55

idem last bios no access (external monitor tested) help

labster
Product(s): Amilo

Postby labster » Sat Jan 10, 2009 23:42

Hallo again.

Being more precisiuos I must say how I accessed the Intel Bios:

When I start (or restart the laptop) and the screen become black i keep pressing the Ctrl+I (Hold Ctrl then quickly hold I/release the keys and again...) then when the laptop seems to be not responding (nothing appears and restart does not conitnue) I connect the external monitor on which I see the Intel Matrix Storage Manager menu (which I accessed by pressing Ctr+I). The BIOS was 1.0E.

Good luck! Couse it worked for me.

johnvfc

Postby johnvfc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:33

Hello,

To the people who interested in accessing the RAID menu during system boot this will not be possible according to Fujitsu Siemens Support. I contacted the FS technical services departement and unfortunately this is they reply I got:

Not possible. The RAID Subsystem is controlled by the Intel Southbridge ICH7 not controlled by the BIOS. The Intel Storage manger software is the only utility we offer. There no plans to change this operation.

Best Regards
Technical Services
FUJITSU COMPUTERS
SIEMENS
FSC Campus
The Boulevard
Cain Road
Bracknell
Berkshire
RG12 1HH

pifpaf73

Postby pifpaf73 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 14:03

stange ,

The matrix storage software say: intel ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E .....

Evrest say: Contrôleur de stockage Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller...

not ich7,

and labster say:

"Hallo again.

Being more precisiuos I must say how I accessed the Intel Bios:

When I start (or restart the laptop) and the screen become black i keep pressing the Ctrl+I (Hold Ctrl then quickly hold I/release the keys and again...) then when the laptop seems to be not responding (nothing appears and restart does not conitnue) I connect the external monitor on which I see the Intel Matrix Storage Manager menu (which I accessed by pressing Ctr+I). The BIOS was 1.0E.

Good luck! Couse it worked for me."

the reply of technical support is not for amilo xi 3650?

johnvfc

Postby johnvfc » Mon Jan 12, 2009 14:47

My laptop is Amilo Xi 3650 and I also gave them the serial number.
This reply is for Amilo Xi 3650 request unless they send me wrong answer.

pifpaf73

Postby pifpaf73 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 14:35

end:
just hit "TAB" on boot and "CTRL + I" if you want disable the raid (all data lost!!)

johnvfc

Postby johnvfc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:33

How did you manage to do that. I will NOT try it anyway. I don't want to lose my data.
You pressed TAB during system boot and then CTRL+I and you disabled RAID? Maybe the same keys combination will allow you to enable RAID again.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”