DIMM Problem

All topics related to PC
kbuilta

DIMM Problem

Postby kbuilta » Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:05

Installed new Kingston 128MB expansion DIMM to my Xpert in slot DIMM2 (Biostar M7VKA v1.0 motherboard - original memory 128MB Infineon in DIMM1). Now I get nothing but beep tones that I recognize to mean memory problems. Tried restoring original DIMM in DIMM1 slot without new memory and same result. M7VKA manual says "don't remove or install DIMMs with JS3-LED1 lighted". Is this the red LED that is next to DIMM3 slot? It is lighted when power is on but of course I had power off when installing DIMMs. Any ideas?

Data

Re: DIMM Problem

Postby Data » Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:57

What do you mean with power off??<P>Did you disconnect the power cord or did you just use the front on/off button??<P>The front button is a "soft power off" button.<BR>This means that there's always power on the mainboard.<BR>If you replaced the DIMMS during this soft power off state it could be that the hardware is damaged.<P>Regards.<BR>Data.<BR>

kbuilta

Postby kbuilta » Wed Jul 25, 2001 13:30

I know I switched power off with the backside on/off switch on the power supply for several of the configuration changes but I could have been a real flathead and just used the front switch for the first, crucial installation, I just don't remember. And certainly I was flatheaded enough to not unplug the unit at all. Geez, you'd think I hadn't worked around electronics for over 20 years or something!<BR>So, now, is it likely I can get my DIMMs tested to see if they are blown like they probably are?

kbuilta

Postby kbuilta » Wed Jul 25, 2001 13:33

<p>[This message has been edited by kbuilta (edited 26 July 2001).]

Postby » Tue Jul 31, 2001 21:48

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kbuilta:<BR><B>Installed new Kingston 128MB expansion DIMM to my Xpert in slot DIMM2 (Biostar M7VKA v1.0 motherboard - original memory 128MB Infineon in DIMM1). Now I get nothing but beep tones that I recognize to mean memory problems. Tried restoring original DIMM in DIMM1 slot without new memory and same result. M7VKA manual says "don't remove or install DIMMs with JS3-LED1 lighted". Is this the red LED that is next to DIMM3 slot? It is lighted when power is on but of course I had power off when installing DIMMs. Any ideas?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is what happened with my Xpert but the power was OFF.OFF.OFF.<BR>What worked was putting BOTH DIMMs into the slots at the SAME time !!! ????? It worked for my Expert. <BR>Why ??????

kbuilta

Postby kbuilta » Wed Aug 01, 2001 6:35

Update to my situation:<BR>I thought maybe the memory was zapped so I bought 256MB new DIMM and handled it VERY CAREFULLY. Put it in and...SAME PROBLEM. It just gives the beep tones. How can this be? Is the M7VKA board so sensitive that the pressure it takes to push a DIMM into a slot can break the traces??<BR>I will try with all the DIMMs I own (now 512MB, wow) and see if anything gets better.

Postby » Sat Sep 08, 2001 15:50

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kbuilta:<BR><B>Update to my situation:<BR>I thought maybe the memory was zapped so I bought 256MB new DIMM and handled it VERY CAREFULLY. Put it in and...SAME PROBLEM. It just gives the beep tones. How can this be? Is the M7VKA board so sensitive that the pressure it takes to push a DIMM into a slot can break the traces??<BR>I will try with all the DIMMs I own (now 512MB, wow) and see if anything gets better.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>kbuiltado;<BR>Do you still have problems upgrading the memory on the m7vka board??<BR>Let me know cause I can bail you out<BR>

kbuilta

Postby kbuilta » Sun Sep 09, 2001 7:29

Final result of my DIMM problem: F-S sent a tech to my house who replaced the motherboard because it was faulty. The original memory was good, the first expansion memory I bought was good, but the 256MB memory I bought is no good and now I need to get it replaced but at least I'm up and running and now have twice the RAM I used to have! And it was all under warranty (didn't expect that!). Thanks for all advice and help.

dowel

Postby dowel » Sat Jan 12, 2002 0:56

I have a similar problem with a Biostar mobo.<BR>M6VCG with 128MB DIMM 133MHz no parity.<BR>Wanted to upgrade to 786 MB (3X256MB DIMMs)<BR>Removed the 128MB and installed 768.<BR>I am an electronics engineer. All ESD precautions observed.<BR>Could only see 640MB.<BR>reboot could see different amounts of memory.<BR>Sometimes with 1 256 MB DIMM you get 128MB<BR>have tried original 128MB. Fails, just beeps.<BR>Even with all 3 X 256MB got only 128MB.<BR>Changer BIOS to do full POST. Check memory.<BR>Now see either 512 or 640MB.<BR>erratic errors also.<BR>tried this memory in a different PC.<BR>Perfect - can use all 768MB.<BR>Motherboard manual says it can accept 768MB.<BR>decided to go for BIOS upgrade from Biostar.<BR>It only offers one choice and says if existing BIOS does not end with 'B',<BR>then contact vendor.<BR>Existing BIOS is Award v6.00pg VCG0921 FSC<BR>No B here. website offers only vcg0711f.bin.<BR>No other options. <BR>Doubt if it is a BIOS thing anyway.<BR>Looks like I might have a bad motherboard. I have decided it is risky to do a BIOS flash. <BR>Hat irgendjemand bei Siemens ahnung?<BR>Anybody got any ideas?<P><BR>

Biostern

Postby Biostern » Wed Jan 23, 2002 20:43

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dowel:<BR><B>I have a similar problem with a Biostar mobo.<BR>M6VCG with 128MB DIMM 133MHz no parity.<BR>Wanted to upgrade to 786 MB (3X256MB DIMMs)<BR>Removed the 128MB and installed 768.<BR>I am an electronics engineer. All ESD precautions observed.<BR>Could only see 640MB.<BR>reboot could see different amounts of memory.<BR>Sometimes with 1 256 MB DIMM you get 128MB<BR>have tried original 128MB. Fails, just beeps.<BR>Even with all 3 X 256MB got only 128MB.<BR>Changer BIOS to do full POST. Check memory.<BR>Now see either 512 or 640MB.<BR>erratic errors also.<BR>tried this memory in a different PC.<BR>Perfect - can use all 768MB.<BR>Motherboard manual says it can accept 768MB.<BR>decided to go for BIOS upgrade from Biostar.<BR>It only offers one choice and says if existing BIOS does not end with 'B',<BR>then contact vendor.<BR>Existing BIOS is Award v6.00pg VCG0921 FSC<BR>No B here. website offers only vcg0711f.bin.<BR>No other options. <BR>Doubt if it is a BIOS thing anyway.<BR>Looks like I might have a bad motherboard. I have decided it is risky to do a BIOS flash. <BR>Hat irgendjemand bei Siemens ahnung?<BR>Anybody got any ideas?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Hallo, ich habe 4 Biostar-Boards, 3 verschiedene. Bin eigentlich recht zufrieden damit, jedoch sind sie, was die BIOS-Einstellungen angeht, recht empfindlich. Jedenfalls würde ich Dir empfehlen, den Jumper CMOS Clear für 10 sec. zu setzen (Achtung: Einstellungen gehen verloren, siehe Handbuch!!). <P>Dann an die technischen Grenzen herantasten bei den RAM Einstellungen im BIOS bis stabile Einstellungen erreicht.<P>Wenn es wieder ernsthafte oder ominöse Probleme gibt, hilft wieder nur ein CMOS Clear.<BR> <BR>Hat man dann ein stabiles System, sollte<BR>man nicht den Reset-Taster oder Ausschalter drücken, wenn das BIOS zwischen Speicherhochzählen und IDE-Festplatten suchen ist (-> dann hängt der Rechner meist wieder (weil das BIOS angeblich "andere" Einstellungen versucht nach dem "nicht erfolgreichen" Booten -> da hilft wieder CMOS clear und neu einstellen der (hoffentlich gemerkten :-)) Parameter...)<P>Evtl. auch exotische Kombinationen ausprobieren, z.B. ein Riegel im 1 und einer im 3. Slot (Aber Achtung: evtl. unbefriedigend langsamer!) Der 3. Slot macht eher Probleme, das Timing sollte hier _sehr_ konservativ gesetzt werden.<P>Falls dennoch Probleme bleiben, bei Biostar Deutschland anrufen, nach Techniker fragen (Herr Spiekermann oder so), am besten morgens kurz nach 9 Uhr, Tel 02103/57060. Wenn man freundlich ist, bekommt man einen Tipp :-)<P>Gruß und schildere mal, wie es Dir ergangen ist.

Postby » Thu Jan 24, 2002 11:10

If you have incorrect memory sizes detected, this could also be due to module / chipset compatibility issues.<P>First of all get the newest available BIOS. Sometimes this helps resolving such problems. Your newest FSC BIOS (VCG 0110 FSC <BR>)is here:<BR> <A HREF="http://extranet.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/consumer-public/boards/biostar/m6vcg/m6vcg.zip" TARGET=_blank>http://extranet.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/consumer-public/boards/biostar/m6vcg/m6vcg.zip</A> <P>(can be found easily by going to <A HREF="http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com" TARGET=_blank>www.fujitsu-siemens.com</A> / Service&Support / Consumer PC / Mainboards)<P>If that doesn't help, check the memory requirements of the chipset. There is more to a memory module than just it's size. It has a certain organisation, a certain number of banks, it can be double or single sided (logically, not the way the module is physically organized), buffered/unbuffered aka registered/unregistered.<P>Unfortunately the Biostar Manual (as well as the FSC version) does NOT list the requirements. Especially with high capacity modules (256, 512) chipsets have limitations, for example you may only use modules with a certain logical configuration, or only up to a certain number of banks. Best ask BIOSTAR Tech Support for an EXACT description of what Memory your m6vcg board (with the VIA vt82c694x chipset as far as I know) needs. Ask him for the details I mentioned above.<P>That it works in an other board does not mean your board is defect, or that it must work in your board. If you CAN drive 220Kmh in a porsche but not in your VW beetle does NOT mean your VW is broken ;-)<P>The problem really is that the manual simply states it supports 768MB but it does NOT tell the limitations ...<P>By the way: <A HREF="http://www.kyf.net/supportaz/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.kyf.net/supportaz/</A> <P>is a very good private support page for all FSC consumer PCs - you need marcomedia flash, though.

dowel

Postby dowel » Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:18

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juggernaut:<BR><B>If you have incorrect memory sizes detected, this could also be due to module / chipset compatibility issues.<P>First of all get the newest available BIOS. Sometimes this helps resolving such problems. Your newest FSC BIOS (VCG 0110 FSC <BR>)is here:<BR> <A HREF="http://extranet.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/consumer-public/boards/biostar/m6vcg/m6vcg.zip" TARGET=_blank>http://extranet.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/consumer-public/boards/biostar/m6vcg/m6v cg.zip</A> <P>(can be found easily by going to <A HREF="http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com" TARGET=_blank>www.fujitsu-siemens.com</A> / Service&Support / Consumer PC / Mainboards)<P>If that doesn't help, check the memory requirements of the chipset. There is more to a memory module than just it's size. It has a certain organisation, a certain number of banks, it can be double or single sided (logically, not the way the module is physically organized), buffered/unbuffered aka registered/unregistered.<P>Unfortunately the Biostar Manual (as well as the FSC version) does NOT list the requirements. Especially with high capacity modules (256, 512) chipsets have limitations, for example you may only use modules with a certain logical configuration, or only up to a certain number of banks. Best ask BIOSTAR Tech Support for an EXACT description of what Memory your m6vcg board (with the VIA vt82c694x chipset as far as I know) needs. Ask him for the details I mentioned above.<P>That it works in an other board does not mean your board is defect, or that it must work in your board. If you CAN drive 220Kmh in a porsche but not in your VW beetle does NOT mean your VW is broken ;-)<P>The problem really is that the manual simply states it supports 768MB but it does NOT tell the limitations ...<P>By the way: <A HREF="http://www.kyf.net/supportaz/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.kyf.net/supportaz/</A> <P>is a very good private support page for all FSC consumer PCs - you need marcomedia flash, though.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

dowel

Postby dowel » Thu Mar 21, 2002 8:29

Have found with the original 128MB dimm that <BR>even though the dimm seemed correctly seated - it was not.<BR>Even though the locking arms appeared closed,<BR>when I shone a bright light on the dimm connector i could see it was not fully down on one side.<BR>I had to push very firmly on the dimm to get it to seat properly. It now works fine.<BR>However the 256MB dimms are still unstable<BR>- any dimm in any slot.<BR>Have had no time to work on this in the meantime. Next move will be bios upgrade.<BR>Then new motherboard.

Return to “Personal Computers (archive)”