Restore disks failing?

AMILO Notebook, ESPRIMO Mobile, Handhelds (PDA), etc.

Moderator: ModTeam

outeast
Product(s): amilo pi 3625

Restore disks failing?

Postby outeast » Tue Feb 19, 2013 15:02

My aging Amilo Pi 3625 today failed to start up, telling me that it could not find the OS. I have been trying to restore from the backup/restore disks I made when I first got the laptop, but I am getting the almost immediate message "An error has occurred (6)". What does this mean, please, and is there anything I can do? Or does it just mean my computer is dead? I've had to restore from these disks twice in the past, and not had problems. There is no visible damage to the disk, and the disks cave been stored carefully. Please respond asap, I'm tearing my hair out as this is my primary work computer...! Thank you!

sabrex
Product(s): Various

Re: Restore disks failing?

Postby sabrex » Wed Feb 20, 2013 13:19

run this http://tinyurl.com/sysdiags tell us if it finds an error and comes back with a code.

outeast

Postby outeast » Wed Feb 20, 2013 14:32

Thanks! I've just finished that. It said no error found, but it also said it found no harddisk, no optical drive (odd since it was running from a CD), and no modem (re. the latter, the morning that the whole thing stopped working I could not connect to the Internet). Does this suggest anything? Thank you for your help...

sabrex
Product(s): Various

Postby sabrex » Wed Feb 20, 2013 15:15

Could be that your hard disk has failed. Loadup bios area by pressing F2 or del on your keyboard and check the hdd is seen in the bios. If its not in there then confirms your hard disk is fail.
bios.jpg
bios.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 7338 times

different model but should be simular

outeast

Postby outeast » Wed Feb 20, 2013 15:33

It shows SATA hard drive 1, so not that? Or could be HDD fail anyway? It's quite an old machine (it's been struggling for a while, and it wasn't exactly a powerhouse to begin with) so catastrophic failure wouldn't surprise me. Equally I don't want to chuck it if it's just some stupid, fairly easily remedied problem!

Return to “Older products”