Black screen when powering up with computer attached to docking station

Moderator: ModTeam

martopaut
Product(s): Celsius H730

Black screen when powering up with computer attached to docking station

Postby martopaut » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46

Hi!

Celsius H730 is the laptop in question and problem is that when starting the Computer while it is connected to the docking station nothing comes on the laptops own screen or the external.

Updated the BIOS to the latest version, 1.18, but that din't help either.

I can't find the exact model of the docking station. Using the serial number (at least what I deducted would be the s/n) in the support pages equipment search doesn't give anything and on the sticker there's no name for it. P/N is CP662803-02.

Going through some port replicator and docking stations download pages, there seems not to be drivers separately for them. Can one be found for it?

Is there a firmware update possibility on the Port Replicator (as I just noticed it officially is called)?

Caretaker
Product(s): LIFEBOOKs

Re: Black screen when powering up with computer attached to docking station

Postby Caretaker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 13:52

Hello martopaut,

First of all, the CP662803-02 is the correct docking station for your device. And the device needs to power on while docked in even without OS or independently of the installed drivers.

Is it corret that the device works without any problems if you are starting and using it out of the dockingstation?
What happens if it is already running and then you connect it to the docking station?

What exactly 'happens' if the device is off and docked it (display open) and you are pressing the power button on the notebook or on the docking station? Is there any led or status led (scroll-, num-, caps-lock) blinking?

martopaut
Product(s): Celsius H730

Postby martopaut » Thu Jul 20, 2017 15:53

Hi!

Just noticed that I had accidentally ended up in German language forum. Sorry for that. No idea how to move this to English side though (other than start a new thread there), so I'll continue here :)

When the Computer is up and running and I attach it to the docking station, it works just fine. Picture stays ok on the screen of the Computer itself and shows nicely on the external one as well.

If I do a cold boot or even hibernation and then press the power button on either the Computer or the docking station's one, all lights come up and it seems to start loading something, ie. the harddrive light lights up too. Just nothing comes up on either screen, both are totally black and the external monitor's powerled is orange, ie. not receiving any signal.

We had the same problem on Lifebook U727, but that was solved with BIOS-update.

Another peculiarity, maybe related maybe not, is that this wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse doesn't work before I unplug the transmitter and put it back.

Hopefully these give more info and helps someone to come up with some idea what to test next.

Thanks!

With regards,
Markus Topi

malbinger
Product(s): Celsius H760 laptop

Postby malbinger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 15:44

I have a Celcius H760 with the 662803-02 docking station.
Our company uses Windows 7 x64bit.

I notice something similar to that which martopaut describes.
I have the docking station driving 2 external monitors and also use the laptop monitor as a third display.

What I notice is that often on power-up, I get all 3 monitors working fine, but after the unit goes to sleep (if I'm away from my desk for enough time), then when I unlock it again, one of my monitors (always the middle one) is now black, though the cursor still has to travel across it as though it is still there (can't see the cursor while 'traveling' across that monitor though) and the power button is still blue as if it is communicating with the laptop.
In those cases the (in my case the 'middle' monitor since my laptop is on the right) monitor appears to just be displaying black. Re-starting the computer does not fix the issue.
Neither does dis-abling and re-enabling the middle monitor in Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Display->Screen Resolution.

If I shut down the computer after such an event for the night, in the morning I'll be able to tell if the monitor will work by seeing the cursor being able to travel across all 3 screens during boot up. Some mornings that middle monitor functions as it should and sometimes I get the black screen.

This is quite an annoying event since I often use CAD software and find all 3 screens quite helpful.

Any ideas on how we can fix this?

Return to “CELSIUS Mobile Workstations”