Warning for USA M532

Moderator: ModTeam

SeattleAl
Product(s): M532

Warning for USA M532

Postby SeattleAl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 18:31

Hi folks. I just bought a M532 here in the USA and it arrived two days ago. I did a lot of research, read every review, and all the posts in this forum before I bought. Obviously, I missed a few things.

First, the USA version of this tablet does NOT come with all the pre-installed software that other non-USA models do. It does have a year of Computrace, but no Norton, no PowerDVD, no Think Free office, etc. Some of these can be downloaded for free, but PowerDVD is $20 by itself.

But, the bigger issue is updates to the OS. This tablet shipped with Android 4.0.3. 4.1 came out in July of last year; 4.2 in November. There are OS updates for the M532 out for places like the UK or Africa, but NONE of them work for the USA versions (yes, I tried).

I called customer/tech service and got the basic “no updates are available and there is no information on any coming updates”. Talking more with him, I got the feeling he thought no updates would be coming and he actually suggested that I return the tablet while I could. If after eight months no update to the fairly unaltered Android OS has shown up, it’s a good guess none is coming.

I now wonder if the reason Fujitsu has discounted these tablets is to simply get rid of remaining stock and get out of the Android line. It’s bizarre to realize that I could get better support for this tablet if I was in Botswana than in the USA.

That’s too bad, because I have played with the machine for the past day and it is really a great piece of hardware. But like all computers, the hardware is only as good as the support.

So, with regret, I’m doing a hard reset and packing the tablet up to return it. I’ll probably get an Asus TF300T. Just a warning.

sunnychan2012
Product(s): m532 slate pc

Re: Warning for USA M532

Postby sunnychan2012 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:28

Hi,
Good to have heard of you.
Some small size manufacturers here do not offer any upgrade to their iDTV even if they have bugs. They are sure going out of business in the near future because of bad reputation.
It is sad of Fujitsu as a big business not to offer any upgrade for their tablet product. They should at least provide upgrade to 4.2 or provide the details of possible implementation of any upgrade for some advanced users.
Thanks

SeattleAl
Product(s): M532

Re: Warning for USA M532

Postby SeattleAl » Tue Apr 02, 2013 19:12

I am somewhat surprised that after almost two weeks on the official Fujitsu forum, no one from Fujitsu has responded. I know most of these forums are user driven, but most companies are now internet savvy enough to know that they need to have someone monitor these discussions and answer questions. I’m beginning to realize that Fujitsu may be so business oriented in their products that they may not really understand the consumer side of the industry.

I’m equally puzzled why they would offer an update to the rest of the world, but make no apparent effort to port that update to the USA market. How difficult could it be to adapt the UK-English update to the USA? I see their new Android tablet, the M702, is also shipping with Android 4.0. I don’t get that. Why have your newest product ship with out of date software?

Return to “STYLISTIC Tablet PC”