Black Screen and Beeps after BIOS Update

Moderator: ModTeam

BrunoFromParis
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens notebook E-Series E-6520

Black Screen and Beeps after BIOS Update

Postby BrunoFromParis » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:45

Hi Everyone,

I bought a retro Fujitsu-Siemens Pentium III notebook during the pandemic so that I could play a bit with Windows 98 (I had such good times with Windows 98) but there is something odd with it is: Bios has no data about either manufacturer or model nor part number nor serial number. Weird. And it's really annoying because the windows 98 partition has become corrupt and cannot launch either in defaut nor in safe mode and the message I get when I put in the recovery CD-ROM is "smbios structure found. This program will only run on Fujitsu computers. Setup Failed". So I figured I might as well update the bios in DOS Mode which I did (from version 1.07 to version 1.36) but also by trying to add DMI data such as manufacturer, since the installation program probably looks for these bits in SMBIOS.

The bios update without DMI modification worked perfectly but then when I tried to add the manufacturer of the chassis by passing the /DPC:string option, that's when the notebook rebooted to a black screen with one long beep then two shorts.

Here is the TL;DR of my message
- I have a FS Lifebook E-6520 from 2000 whose model, part and serial number are not in bios and the ones I have on a tag at the bottom of the chassis are not recognized by Fujitsu support: can anyone here help me with this question
- I updated the bios from 1.07 to 1.36 and it worked perfectly but then when I tried to add manufacturer data to the DMI, it seems like I sort of bricked the notebook: black screen, one long beep, two shorts. Is there any manipulation I can do to help with that?

Cheers

P.S. Model number of my notebook : FPC03032B
Part No : CP031006
Serial No : not sure I can publish this in a public forum but I can PM.

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: Black Screen and Beeps after BIOS Update

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Tue Jan 02, 2024 16:40

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Fujitsu Forum Support.

Unfortunately we no longer provide support for devices that reached End of Life state. Any manipulation with the BIOS structure is not recommended and done on customer's own responsibility.

Best regards,
Fujitsu Forum Support

Return to “LIFEBOOK”