U729X and Typ-C Port Replicator video output under Linux

Moderator: ModTeam

Weber399
Product(s): FUJITSU Tablet LIFEBOOK U729X

U729X and Typ-C Port Replicator video output under Linux

Postby Weber399 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:15

Hello all!

I have a question regarding the compatibility of the U729X Lifebook with the recommended Typ-C Port Replicator. I have my Lifebook connected to the port replicator via USB-C but I am unable to detect screens which are plugged-in on the port replicator. Neither DisplayPort nor the HDMI port works and will not detect a screen.

At first I thought it is an issue with me running linux on the machine and the usual suspect of driver issues, since any other port on the port replicator (USB, Ethernet, Audio Jack...) works fine, but the more I read through the marketing terms of the data sheet from a) the port replicator and b) the lifebook, the more I think that it's not supported to transmit video over USB-C. Sadly I am not able to test it under windows.

I am using the included USB-C cable from the port replicator and the one and only USB-C port on my Lifebook. On the port replicator I am using the USB-C Port next to the DC Power Port.

So my question is:

Is it even possible, regarding of OS, what I am trying to do here?

If not, what are the video ports on the replicator even for?

If it is, has anyone any idea why I am unable to detect the screen under linux?

I am running OpenSuse Tumbleweed with Kernel 5.7.5-1.

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: U729X and Typ-C Port Replicator video output under Linux

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:27

Unfortunately Linux based operating systems are not supported on this device. I would advise to look for solution in operating systems documentation if this is maybe some driver error.

Weber399

Postby Weber399 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:35

Thank you for your reply. I have a few further questions.

But in general, under the assumption I would be running windows, the described setup would work? So to say, the included USB-C cable is able to transmit video output, the USB-C port on the laptop too. I am not plugging stuff in the wrong USB-C ports and all that.

Since my fear is that the this is a hardware problem and not a driver problem. Just to clear this up.

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Wed Jul 08, 2020 15:57

Unfortunately Linux based operating systems are not supported on this device.
Despite that i checked again and it turns out that U729X has only USB-C port that is only capable for data transfer port with Power delivery option, so no video output is possible via this USB port.

Weber399

Postby Weber399 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:44

Despite that i checked again and it turns out that U729X has only USB-C port that is only capable for data transfer port with Power delivery option, so no video output is possible via this USB port.

This is what I needed to know. Thank you for checking it up. If I may give some feedback: This fact must be made more clear on the (german) Datasheet/Product site. It's really not clear if this works and sadly I now own 2 expensive USB-Hubs and still no solution how I can connect my monitors, since the laptop does not feature a DisplayPort directly. And the sad part is that the Typ-C Port Replicator is a recommended accessory and one would assume that it works. Oh well.

Would the FUJITSU Accessories USB Port Replicator PR09 work? (Assuming I run Windows. I know, no Linux support.)

Weber399

Postby Weber399 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:27

As a head-ups for people finding this thread: After a Linux Kernel update (currently working on 5.7.11) the display ports over USB-C now works with the Typ-C Port Replicator flawlessly. Seems like Fujitsu-Support was incorrect about this one.

Return to “LIFEBOOK”