artgrandi
Product(s): amilosi1520
Esprimo E7395 - E Star 4
Esprimo E5925.
Lifebook E743

Cant boot from multiboot usb on Lifebook E743

Postby artgrandi » Fri Jun 05, 2020 21:53

Hi!

My Lifebook E743 does not boot from my multiboot usb sticks which are made from some Linux distro at my Esprimo E7395 - E Star 4 by:
1- creating a msdos partition table
2- formatting to fat32
3- installing GRUB2 to MBR
4- in some cases creating a second partition - which i never use. this is done tentatively since i read somewhere that some machines would not boot if the usb doe not contain at least 2 partitions. This item has so far not proved to have any effect on my results.
5 - I make a folder named ISOs at root level and copy some isos for different Linux distributions there.
6 . I write a grub.cfg file and place it at the /boot/grub folder created by grub2-install. This is the hard part and many times I am not able to boot some of the isos or take up to months to figure out how to write proper Grub-stanzas to boot them.

The Lifebook however has since i bought it consistently refused to boot from any of my multiboot usb sticks. It boots however from several usbs with Linux distros dd-ed (i.e. placed via command dd) into them. And it also reads the content of my multiusb sticks after failing to boot them and proceeding to boot from Windows in the HD.

My multiboot usb sticks boot from both my Esprimo 7935 and my Esprimo E5925. And also from my HP Probook4510s. But also not from my HP Compaq 6715b where they also do not show the Grub meny. This machine can also read their contents after booting from HD.

IN both cases where they are noot booted, they are seen by the bios and I can choose them as first boot device, but when I exit and save changes the computers go on and boot from some OS in their HDs - the compaq has several Linux distros and not Windows.

Secure Boot is disabled, Boot from Removable=All, CSM = enabled,
BootMenu=enabled . Windows says BootMode=Legacy

do you have any suggestion to what may be the problem ?

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: Cant boot from multiboot usb on Lifebook E743

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:07

Hello,

Can you please provide a serial number of the affected device? :)

Return to “LIFEBOOK”