Lifebook E780 Firmware + ME update fail (unknown error).

Moderator: ModTeam

andreatheflyer
Product(s): Lifebook E780

Lifebook E780 Firmware + ME update fail (unknown error).

Postby andreatheflyer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:14

I downloaded the update package to fix the Intel Firmware vulnerability issue (BIOS v.1.21 + ME update) but when I run it, i get "Unknown Error" and the program exits.
I tried on both Windows 10 and Windows XP (dual boot), which have both installed the Intel AMT package as well as the DeskView Client. Since I put on a SSD, I even tried to run the update on the original Hard Drive, but in any case I get the same unknown error.
Any help please?
(Tip: the notebook underwent a motherbord replacement and since then the machine serial number is no longer present. May it be the cause?)

Caretaker
Product(s): LIFEBOOKs

Re: Lifebook E780 Firmware + ME update fail (unknown error).

Postby Caretaker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50

Hello andreatheflyer,

i assume you have the following message in detail, right?
"Exit with unkonown error. Contact your Fujitsu Support representative."
In this case i recommend you to contact your local fujitsu support as probably a Gabi driver is missing. The support should be able to help you in this case.

Regarding your second topic with the missing serial number. Yes, even a missing serial number can cause problems. But can you see the device name within the BIOS Info screen or is this also missing? If the mainboard has been replaced in the near past i recommend to contact the service partner again as the have to flash the serial number.

andreatheflyer
Product(s): Lifebook E780

Re: Lifebook E780 Firmware + ME update fail (unknown error).

Postby andreatheflyer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:16

Hello Caretaker,
yes this is the exact message I got. However, when I installed the DeskView application, in the progress dialog I saw that, among the Others, it installed also the GABI driver for BIOS, so I suppose it's not missing. Also, in the device manager I have no "unknown devices", so it seems like all the drivers are in place.
In the BIOS the serial number is shown as "Not Present". It was one of the first things I checked when I had the motherboard replaced. However, it was never an issue since the BIOS v1.20 was the last stable version for many years. I looked at the DeskUpdate manual and it only refers to a "Custom" serial number (that is, I suppose, like an internal ID for corporate PCs). I wonder if there's also a function for flashing the machine's serial number.

Return to “LIFEBOOK”