Lifebook A514 Shutdown Problem

Moderator: ModTeam

stevecase
Product(s): Lifebook A series

Lifebook A514 Shutdown Problem

Postby stevecase » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32

Ever since I bought my A514 Windows 10 Lifebook, I have had intermittent shutdown problems. I close all applications, and then when I click on "Shutdown" there is some hard disk activity, the screen goes blank, there is another short burst of hard disk activity and then the laptop either shuts down properly (all lights go off) or it shuts down incompletely (Wifi, power, charger LED's and the tiny LED on the power button all remain on). I have to press the power button for a few seconds to make it shut down properly. The computer starts up normally next time I press the power button. It seems completely random, whether shutdown completes properly or not. I have tried a few things based on what I have read on various websites:-
I Updated the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
I Updated the Realtek High Definition Audio driver
I Disabled fast windows startup
I tried pressing the shift key when I clicked on "Shutdown"
But the problem is still there. Has anybody else had this problem? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Tom_A
Product(s): ESPRIMO Q920

Re: Lifebook A514 Shutdown Problem

Postby Tom_A » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:50

Hello Stevecase.

This shutdown problem seems to be caused by "Intel Management Engine Interface" (IMEI) version 11 which is provided by Microsoft Windows Update.

I suggest you downgrade that driver to version 10 or 9 to solve this issue. (you might have to disable automatic windows update in that process)

stevecase

Postby stevecase » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:15

Tom_A wrote:Hello Stevecase.

This shutdown problem seems to be caused by "Intel Management Engine Interface" (IMEI) version 11 which is provided by Microsoft Windows Update.

I suggest you downgrade that driver to version 10 or 9 to solve this issue. (you might have to disable automatic windows update in that process)

Thanks for this suggestion. The relevant driver on my laptop was at Version 11.xxxx but, on checking, a more recent revision (11.0.5.1189) was available. I tried updating the driver and the next two or three shutdowns went OK. I will see what happens over the next few days and, if there are still problems, I will try to download and install V10.

stevecase

Postby stevecase » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32

This is an update on my previous post. My Lifebook has continued to shut down properly since I updated the driver to the latest version, so it looks like the problem has been cured.

Return to “LIFEBOOK”