Update BIOS with WinPE on usb stick

Moderator: ModTeam

SaraS
Product(s): LIFEBOOK U9311x

Update BIOS with WinPE on usb stick

Postby SaraS » Tue Jan 11, 2022 15:26

Hi all,

I have a LIFEBOOK U9311x running linux. In order to update the BIOS to the latest version I have prepared a bootable usb stick with the 64-bit version of WinPE. On the same usb stick I also copy the latest BIOS version (2.23), downloaded from https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDownload.asp I boot from the usb stick and get a WinPE prompt, so that is working. I then try to flush the BIOS, but here I run into problems. I tried two avenues (not sure which is the right one):

(a) I downloaded FTS_LIFEBOOKU9311XFlashBIOSUpdateDeskFlashI_223_1261373.EXE and put that on the usb stick. When executing it nothing happens, I simply get the prompt back immediately.

(b) I downloaded the Admin Pack zip file FTS_BIOSAdminPackLIFEBOOKU9311X_223_1261372.zip, unzipped it and put all the files onto the usb stick (in C:\Windows). I then cd:ed to that directory in WinPE and ran "DskFlash /UPD /WD="C:\Windows" /LF /O=UXPV223*.bup /FRB" (I also ran some slight modifications of that with the same result, e.g. "DSKFLASH /UPD /WD=C:\Windows /O=UXPV223All.bup /ARB"). The result is:

Configuring environment ..
DskFlash Version 7.01
Copyright (c) 2021 Fujitsu Technology Solutions
No support module for this hardware found
Cleaning up environment ....

Not sure why no support module is found. Is there anything I can do to get the BIOS flashed properly?

Thanks and cheers,

Sara

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: Update BIOS with WinPE on usb stick

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Wed Jan 12, 2022 17:51

Hello :)

Can you please:

1. Check the below settings in BIOS
Security -> System Firmware Update : Enabled
Security -> Device Firmware Update : Enabled
System Firmware Rollback: Enabled

2. Download and extract all files/folders from the below package:
https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDow ... 3C80D5AB53
run file SilentUpdate.bat

Best regards,
Fujitsu Support Forum

SaraS
Product(s): LIFEBOOK U9311x

Postby SaraS » Sat Oct 15, 2022 21:28

Hi!

Thank you very much for your suggestions. And very sorry for the long time it has taken me to get back to this.

I have now verified that my bios settings are exactly as you list (i.e. all three options are indeed enabled) and downloaded the by now latest bios version 2.32 from here https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDow ... 9197E70C2F

But when I run the SilentUpdate.bat file I still get "No support module for this hardware found". Any suggestions on what I can try next?

Thanks and cheers,

Sara

Ask Fujitsu

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Mon Oct 17, 2022 15:11

Hello Sara,
Thank you for your contact.

For further issue analysis, could you please send a SystemScan report from the affected system?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Forum Support team

mdatab
Product(s): Fujutsu Lifebook 7410

Postby mdatab » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:20

I have exactly the same issue as @SaraS. Is there any news on this perhaps?

Ask Fujitsu

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Fri Jan 20, 2023 16:48

For further analysis please attach SystemScan from affected device.
According to installation description for this Admin Pack, BIOS update is only possible within Windows environment.

Please download our application ´Systemscan´ via the following link and execute the EXE file on an affected system:
https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDow ... 48DA86E8C6
Then, please create a Systemscan report file (HTM format) for the system and attach it to the PID.

Kind regards,

Forum Support Team

kotto45
Product(s): LIFEBOOK U7411 (DSFS046815)

Postby kotto45 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:44

Dear members of the support team,

just to make sure that I fully understood:

Those of us with Ubuntu as our host system cannot make any updates of BIOS because Fujitsu is offering these updates only for Windows-OS?

This severely limits usability of my new Lifebook U7411.

Why does Fujitsu not contribute to 'Linux Vendor Firmware Service' (https://fwupd.org/)?

Thank you for your reply.

GalloNero
Product(s): Lifebook AH531, Lifebook A531, LifebookA357, Lifebook A3511

Postby GalloNero » Fri Aug 18, 2023 17:27

Hello Fujitsu Support Team,

i have the same Issue with 2 Lifebook A3511. There is no Windows Installation and i tried to update BIOS from Win PE Environment booted from USB.

In Fujitsu DeskView BIOS Management BIOS Update Tutorial (PDF file from Fujitsu) the following is written on page 2 under "Download and Installation":

"Another option is to use the “Instant” package. This package runs an install / uninstall procedure within one call. This might be preferred if WMI
and other features of DeskView Client are not needed. The instant package can be used on Windows PE for pre-installation usage too."

I downloaded the "instant package" from here https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDow ... DBBD4E41DC. i gives a file named "FTS_LIFEBOOKA3511FlashBIOSUpdateDeskFlashIn_112_1283553.EXE" so i assume from the "...DeskFlashIn..." that this is the mentioned "Instant Package".

Trying it with admins privileges on a booted win pe environment. one time with the system repair option -> command promt from a windows 10 usb installstick. one time with a win pe graphical environement and a administrator-rights command promt there.

both the two trys show first "configuring environment", then "DskFlash Version 7.12" and the Copyright Notice from Fujitsu an then gives the Error "No Support Module for this hardware found" followed by "Cleaning Up Environment".

i come from a fujitsu a357 system and in that case it was always possible with the pe environment. i run debian on all systems .. so i hope there is a way at the a3511.

How can i update bios without installing a windows-system on the lifebook A3511?

greetings from germany
Stevo

addendum: rereading the initial posting from sara i have the exact same issue, so i would be glad to have a solution for the linux users.

Ask Fujitsu

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:20

Thank you for your contact.

We only provide Windows based tools for bios update and we offer no other bios update tools, because of Microsoft Windows PE terms of license.

You can use your own Windows PE with integrated bios driver and so on and using Deskflash for bup file (Admin pack). But this is not supported by us.

Kind regards,
Forum Support Team

Return to “LIFEBOOK”