[U9200] Blue screen in Cygwin's setup

Moderator: ModTeam

lukatiks
Product(s): U9200

[U9200] Blue screen in Cygwin's setup

Postby lukatiks » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:07

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded my U9200's processor from T5250 to T9300. It seems to be running fine most of the time, but I have a problem with one particular program which is causing blue screens almost every time it runs. The program in question is setup.exe for Cygwin, available at http://cygwin.com/setup.exe and the blue screens happen during the installation phase, usually when a package with many small files is installed. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could try running it on a U9200 with T9300 with Windows Vista to see if it runs ok?

And if anyone is interested, here are more details about the machine and the crash. It is U9200 with most of the parts upgraded, namely HDD (currently Seagate ST9320423ASG), WiFi (Intel 4965AGN), memory (one 4GB chip) and a new DVD writer. I have updated the BIOS to 1.11. It still runs the original 32-bit Vista with all the updates installed.

I have upgraded the processor about six weeks ago and have used the machine to different tasks - browsing the web, watching movies, compiling programs - with no problems since then. Unfortunately, new version of Cygwin's setup is causing the blue screen with the following information:

BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 89349020
BCP3: B2000040
BCP4: 00000800

As far as I understand it means a hardware error, a bus error to be exact. It happens almost every time I run this setup program. I have tried running the previous version of it (1.7.9 vs current 1.7.11) and it works fine.

Of course when I put my old processor back in, everything works well, so I started suspecting faulty processor. I've run the processor test from Intel and it did not detect problems.

I've installed a fresh copy of Vista SP2 on a spare partition and the blue screens were happening there, too. And under 64-bit Vista, too. The biggest surprise, though, is that when I installed Windows 7, they did not happen. Which may mean it's not a hardware problem, but a problem with one of Vista core drivers' compatibility with U9200.

And so I'm interested in hearing from people with U9200 with T9300 and Vista if Cygwin's setup works for them.

Cheers,
Łukasz

Return to “ESPRIMO Mobile”