UMTS

Moderator: ModTeam

markhinry
Product(s): v6555

UMTS

Postby markhinry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52

hello ,,, i have a problem with the UMTS , I've been trying to fix it ,but it was no use here is the problem
Attachments
Untitled.png
the problem
Untitled.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 12803 times

sabrex
Product(s): Various

Re: UMTS

Postby sabrex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56

Could be that you fitted umts afterwards (Optional integrated UMTS in the datasheet) so you do not have correct DMI string in the bios so cant enable it via bios (it may be greyed out or not even there!) DMI flashing is done at the factory i dont know if repair center would do an oow repair at your cost to change dmi string.

I dont know if you ordered your machine specificaly with UMTS option though.

myxal
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200 (T9300, 8GiB RAM, 250 GB SSD, multiboot Kubuntu, Win 2003)

Postby myxal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 18:40

In my experience, whether the machine was sold with UMTS or not does not matter - I've had no problem using GTM382 in my U9200 which came with nothing.
Second, your post has very little useful information - what's the problem exactly? Can you see the card in device manager (can you try booting some linux and see it there if you don't see it in windows)?

Kobus Hanekom
Product(s): Esprimo mobile v6555

Postby Kobus Hanekom » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:27

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, I have an ESPRIMO Mobile v6555 Laptop/notebook, as far as I could find out it has UMTS (SIM-card) capability, as far as data sheets and websites/reviews show. Under the battery there is a slot for a SIM-card. Now if I go into the BIOS the UMTS option is greyed out, but its enabled, as if you cannot change the state to disabled, secondly, the wireless mannager, the one you can see in the above screenshot, is exactly the same. Now I don't know whether or not the UMTS is actually activated in this Laptop. I recently decided to see if I could get it working but I don't really know much about this technology. It also is'nt showing up in device manager, then again I might not even know what to look for. The Hardware seems to be there though. The SIM-card seems to "clip" in correctly and if I look closely I can see the pins which make contact with the SIM-card. Might it be this model isn't "flashed" in the production process to enable UMTS? The Software on the drivers disc (Globe Trotter) tells me the device is not found. Is there a way to get it working or is it simply impossible with this model?

Windows 7 Home Premium

Valentino
Product(s): V6555

Postby Valentino » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23

Me to have the same problem. The UMTS is enabled in the bios but is grayed. cannot make any changes. Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Does it actually work?

myxal
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200 (T9300, 8GiB RAM, 250 GB SSD, multiboot Kubuntu, Win 2003)

Postby myxal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 21:28

Kobus: The SIM slot is in all these laptops, whether they have the modem or not - it's not part of the add-in modem card. See here - the SIM contacts are part of the interface to the card, which enables laptop makers to put the slot anywhere on the laptop regardless of where they put the modem.

As for the card not showing up in Device Manager - this may or may not be a problem. Unless your laptop got the modem as an "aftermarket upgrade", you should have a sticker on the bottom side regarding the modem (regulatory compliance, IMEI, etc...). If it's not there and then your laptop likely doesn't have a 3G modem.

Return to “ESPRIMO Mobile”