External video card for Esprimo Mobile

Moderator: ModTeam

Duk4o
Product(s): Esprimo U9200

External video card for Esprimo Mobile

Postby Duk4o » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24

I have a simple question thought I am not sure this is the place to ask it. Could someone tell me if there is an external video card compatible with my notebook which is Esprimo Mobile U9200. The only external video card I've heard of is the Amilo graphic booster but I couldn't find any info on it's price or it's compatibility with the Esprimo Notebooks. Thanks in advance for the answers.

myxal
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile U9200 (T9300, 8GiB RAM, 250 GB SSD, multiboot Kubuntu, Win 2003)

Re: External video card for Esprimo Mobile

Postby myxal » Sun Mar 21, 2010 0:12

This question was posted before... In the end, it depends on what you want to use it for. If it's gaming, forget it and get a desktop/another laptop. Existing solutions are low-performance, costly, or both. The Amilo graphic booster - don't know about it, but apparently needs an XGP connector that's not available on U9200.

If it's just to get more monitors attached, you can get USB graphics, ExpressCard graphics, or even monitors connected directly over USB.

As far as I know, there is currently no way to have video accelerated on external graphics shown on the internal LCD. The windows solutions (hybrid graphics) seem to be restricted to specific implementations/chipset combinations and Linux/X support is out-of-mainline, experimental code intended as proof-of-concept.

Edit: This video may provide some inspiration if you're after mass-multi-monitor. :)

Duk4o
Product(s): Esprimo U9200

Re: External video card for Esprimo Mobile

Postby Duk4o » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:27

Thanks a lot for the answer and sorry about reposting - I couldn't find a similar post. To say I wanted to use my laptop for gaming is a bit misleading cause I never wanted to run the modern hardware eating beasts on it. Just some Warcraft which runs even now although not very smoothly. I simply wanted to know if there's a way to boost my video performance a bit without buying a new laptop or an internal video card if that's even possible on the Esprimo U9200. Thanks again for the answer :)

As for the video: This is too much for me. I get confused even with two monitors let alone 22. And is that a mobile phone?!

Return to “ESPRIMO Mobile”