[v5535] Bootproblems with SSD

Moderator: ModTeam

mortiferus
Product(s): Esprimo V5535

[v5535] Bootproblems with SSD

Postby mortiferus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:27

Hi

I have a esprimo v5535, and bought a intel ssd drive (INTEL X25-M 80GB 2.5# SSD SATA/300). Both the laptop and the ssd have the latest firmware (laptop: v1.13). It turns out that the laptop and the ssd don't always want to make friends. The boot fails in several possible ways:

-Sometimes it don't find the ssd at all.
-Sometimes it finds it, but wont boot from it, it comes to a blinking cursor and then it just stands there blinking.
-Sometimes it boots fine (and fast!)

In the two first cases it usually uses a long time in the POST screen, but if I press F12 then sometimes it goes fast, and sometimes it uses ~40 second before it goes into the boot menu.

Now, the reason why I am posting this here is that I have tried the ssd in two other computers, and then it always boots.
It looks like the sis chipset should handle ssd just fine, but apparently not. So i have several questions:

-Anyone else running any ssd with this machine?
-Is there another version of the BIOS available with some more options for the drive, e.g some compatibility, AHCI mode etc?
-Any tips at all?

Thanks in advance.

z1100st
Product(s): esprimo v5535

Re: [v5535] Bootproblems with SSD

Postby z1100st » Fri Feb 12, 2010 21:24

Hi,

I think I have the same problem:
changed to a 320 GB harddisk Toshiba MK3259GSX

with the old (original) HD I've no problems.
with the new:
- cold computer: most OK
- warm computer: most no HD found
- sometime: many read errors

regards
Markus

azeam
Product(s): v5535

Postby azeam » Wed Dec 01, 2010 15:06

Bumping an old thread here. I recently bought an ssd (OCZ Vertex 30GB fw 1.5) and I'm having the exact same problems, disc boots fine every now and then but most of the time the computer (also v5535) crashes in BIOS (unable to detect drive), the OS isn't found and sometimes the disc suddenly disappears in the OS after a successful boot.

Where you able to find any solution? According to the specs at sis.com the chipset should support AHCI as far as I can understand but as you mentioned there's no AHCI options in BIOS (v1.3).

mortiferus
Product(s): Esprimo V5535

Postby mortiferus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 14:35

azeam wrote:Where you able to find any solution? According to the specs at sis.com the chipset should support AHCI as far as I can understand but as you mentioned there's no AHCI options in BIOS (v1.3).

No, I did not find any real solution, the problem still persists. I have though used the laptop for 1.5 years now, and the "solution" for me has been simple enough, I just never turn the machine of:-p I just put it to sleep when I don't use it. For me this works as I don't really use it much as a laptop, I have it at home on my desk most of the time.

My experience has been kind of opposite of z1100st. For me the problems are almost exclusively when the laptop is cold. Then it can take many tries, while if it is hot it usually reboots fine. And it reboots fine with both the "reboot" option, or turning it if then waiting some seconds before then turning it on again (so there is no magic in the "reboot" option per se).
Once it has found the SSD and booted I never experience any problems, the operating system never "looses" the SSD or something like that.

Return to “ESPRIMO Mobile”