Moderator: ModTeam

qwak
Product(s): ESPRIMO MOBILE V5535
Bought on April 08
Intel Celeron 1.8Mhz - 1.5 GB RAM

[V5535] Linux Mandriva 2009 One works in this laptop

Postby qwak » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03

Hi,

Just to tell that if someone wants to run Linux in this laptop and is facing terrible problems to find or install the drivers for the graphic SiS card or the Atheros AR5007EG wifi or the SiS 191 Ethernet cards, I found out that Mandriva 2009 One works perfectly well.

I tried> Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint 5, Freespire 2, Zenwalk, Dreamlinux 3, OpenSuse 10 and no one worked.

Mandriva 2009 One recognizes the SiS Mirage 3 graphic card and displays 1280x800 resolution from the beginning, and the same about the wifi and the ethernet connections.

There are many tutorials on the internet for installing the drivers in all those distros, but most times they are very difficult for beginners and experts too.I managed to install the graphic card drivers in Ubuntu 8.04 getting the right resolution of 1280x800 but I couldn-t make the internet run. Now there is this new version 8.10 and the drivers don-t work in it. Still it is not 3D but 2D.

Mandriva is great, very full of stuff, one of the easiest to start Linux with, etc, etc. I recommend GNOME desktop as this laptop is not very powerful and KDE doesn-t run very well. GNOME runs perfect.

Cheers

faraz_k86
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile V5535

Re: [V5535] Linux Mandriva 2009 One works in this laptop

Postby faraz_k86 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:28

I have also tried mandriva. Its a nice distro but found out that their support is not as good as Ubuntu's. No community can compare to ubuntuforums.org

Also debian has better software support than rpm.

I found many games that were available on debian but a pain to install on mandriva.

So I switched to linux mint, its a pimped out version of ubuntu, you should try it

edit: i see you already gave mint a try. Thats wierd mint worked perfectly for me :?:

qwak
Bought on April 08

Postby qwak » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:19

Yes I know Mandriva has less information around. Everything is for Ubuntu. That's why I tried with the Buntus and Mint and even Dreamlinux. Because I never find answers to the many problems of Linux within the Mandriva forums and searches.

But I find Mandriva better in most ways. Still, I use Linux only secondarily. It's more a hobby than a reality. It's in the stone age compared to Windows (I am talking about from the avergae home/office user point of view). The programs are rubbish, installations are kafkian, the code and the teminal and the permissions are from the 80's, the design is very ugly, it lacks lots of drivers, etc, etc, etc. Not a real alternative for every day use for the average user not interested in computers as a hobby.

unkn0wn
Product(s): esprimo v5515

Postby unkn0wn » Fri Nov 28, 2008 17:06

My Slackware 12.1 work perfect with V5515.

faraz_k86
Product(s): Esprimo Mobile V5535

Postby faraz_k86 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 19:18

qwak wrote:Yes I know Mandriva has less information around. Everything is for Ubuntu. That's why I tried with the Buntus and Mint and even Dreamlinux. Because I never find answers to the many problems of Linux within the Mandriva forums and searches.

But I find Mandriva better in most ways. Still, I use Linux only secondarily. It's more a hobby than a reality. It's in the stone age compared to Windows (I am talking about from the avergae home/office user point of view). The programs are rubbish, installations are kafkian, the code and the teminal and the permissions are from the 80's, the design is very ugly, it lacks lots of drivers, etc, etc, etc. Not a real alternative for every day use for the average user not interested in computers as a hobby.

c'mon, it aint that bad. I consider linux to be decades ahead of windows. About 2 more years and windows will be struggling for the market share.

The programs are not rubbish, theyre much stable, and all of them are FREE!!, installations are much easier in linux, you just have to select the software from the list and thats it, the code and permissions and the terminal are excellent, you just need to get used to it, believe me once you know a few commands, you wil be itching to use the terminal even though you know the point and click method.

Compiz fusion + Beryl is more beautiful than any form of vista and windows, its design rocks. Drivers are no longer an issue, nowadays linux has every driver for every hardware.

and above all no spyware or malware or virus affects linux. :)

Some people are using linux primarily.

qwak
Bought on April 08

Postby qwak » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:14

Sorry, I have to disagree. I keep using Mandriva because I am looking for safety and the chance to have a totally free software without piracy but I give up. It's so full of bugs that I am tired. Not only full of bugs but many other problems too. The offer of software is very poor. Yes there are many programs, but 99% of them are pure crap; the good ones and the ones I like to use are for Windows only. Besides when problems arise, you can't find how to solve them many times. You have to spend weeks searching, reading and asking and still you may not find the solution. On top of it, the Linux community is very annoying, reduced in number and unpolite. You will easily get bad responses concerning your level of intelligence if you go to their forums. I never get anything solved by them while in Windows you need to wait a bit and kind people will tell you how to work it out easy and clearly without any trace of offense or angry because you didn't use the search engine before asking or because you made more than one question in your thread.

I honestly don't think that Linux and its millions of distributions made by retarded nerds who want to have some glory working on their own will ever succeed. I can see for instance a new OS made by Google to expand much faster and easier than Linux, which has been there for 20 years and still offers horrible products for the average user. Horrible and ugly like a pain in the stomach and a very stupid world.

serban
Product(s): V5535

Postby serban » Tue Jan 06, 2009 21:16

I am using Mandriva 2009 for some months now, and graphics and Wireless are working.
But I could not manage to use sleep/hibernate. Is it working for you? It has a garbled unusable screen for me every time it wakes up...

qwak
Bought on April 08

Postby qwak » Fri Jan 09, 2009 0:35

I don't know because I don't like that function and disable it.

skasab2s
Product(s): Laptop Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile 5535

Postby skasab2s » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:04

faraz_k86 wrote:So I switched to linux mint, its a pimped out version of ubuntu, you should try it

edit: i see you already gave mint a try. Thats wierd mint worked perfectly for me :?:

Hi guys
I tried yesterday the Main Edition of Linux Mint 7 (Gloria) and there were still problems with graphic card (low resolution, no 3D). Could you please tell me which version of Linux Mint exactly did you install on your laptop?

I've been struggling with the graphics problem so long. It would be so great if you can help. I would also like to stay on debian-based system rather than using rpm-based one.

Thanks a lot in advance!

skasab2s

qwak
Bought on April 08

Postby qwak » Wed Sep 02, 2009 14:38

This is the driver you need for Mint7-Ubuntu9.04, just double click to install it, log off and log in again and it should be in the highest resolution of your computer. I it hadn't changed automatically try to go to screen configuration and see if you can select it from there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?knjoqizy0de

skasab2s
Product(s): Laptop Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile 5535

Postby skasab2s » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:26

qwak wrote:This is the driver you need for Mint7-Ubuntu9.04, just double click to install it, log off and log in again and it should be in the highest resolution of your computer. I it hadn't changed automatically try to go to screen configuration and see if you can select it from there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?knjoqizy0de

Hello qwak!

I tried dhe Link but I got the error message "Invalid File".

Is the driver youre talking about called "xorg-driver-sisimedia_0.9-1_i386.deb" ? I got this one from

http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net/~linux-s ... =FrontPage

And then "Downloads". It is the recompiled driver from mandriva. Is it the same driver you talking about?

Thanks,

skasab2s.

PS: Mandriva Linux is not worth installing but linux mint is the best distro ever! It is the coolest linux I've ever seen! I'm so enthusiastic about it.

Return to “ESPRIMO Mobile”