Problem trying to reinstall Windows XP on Amilo Pro v2030

Moderator: ModTeam

Azure
Product(s): Amilo Pro v2030D

Problem trying to reinstall Windows XP on Amilo Pro v2030

Postby Azure » Thu Apr 15, 2010 14:20

Hi. I've got a problem and I hope you can help me. A few years ago (I think It was in 2005 or 2006) I bought an Amilo Pro v2030.
I know it's a little old. But well, right now I have got installed Windows XP on it. But I really like formating and reinstalling Windows XP again (because it goes so slow). So I tried to do it. The installation went right, but when it finished the load of files, I got the blue screen that says "No HDD found". I guess the problem is that it has not got the SATA drivers. I was looking for SATA drivers in Fujitsu Siemens, but I couldn't find it. Because they aren't in the download page of drivers for Amilo Pro v2030 (I only found for BIOS, Chipset, Audio, etc).
So I tried to access to BIOS, 'cause I read that if I turn the HDD to IDE instead of SATA, it willl work. But my BIOS is so basic, and there are hardly any options, and I can find nothing that allows me to turn that option. I found some in "Advanced" called "Local Bus IDE" (or similiar, I can't remember exactly) and it appeared as "Both", and when I clicked on it I saw: Disabled, Primary, Secondary and Booth. I was trying with each one of them and this is that happened:

- Booth: I can load CD-ROM and HDD. So I choose CD-ROM to load (by pressing F12, 'cause in BIOS I cannot change device priority. They are as: first floppy disk, second USB, third CD-ROM, fourth HDD, and fifth I cannot remember but I think it doesn't mind). Everything is normal. I can see the message "Press any key to boot from CD ...", and I can see the blue screen of installation. It starts to load all of data, and when it finishes, I can see the message that tells me "No HDD found".
- Primary: I only can load HDD.
- Secondary: I only can load the CD-ROM. But here, the black screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD ...", never appears.
- Disabled: I cannot load neither HDD nor CD-ROM.

So, I have NO idea... How can I figure it out? I don't really know what to do...
So I hope you can help me. Thanks.

Regards ;)

Azure

Re: Problem trying to reinstall Windows XP on Amilo Pro v203

Postby Azure » Mon Apr 19, 2010 18:37

Bump, bump... I need help, please U.u
I emailed to support but it didn't reply me... Is my laptop so old and for that, it doesn't support me?

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 21:40

Just to clarify, you got as far as the Windows XP CD loading files to RAM before it began installation of copying files to hard drive?

I don't know if this is the case, but I suspect you need a S-ATA driver from VIA. Then when the installer for XP is loading from CD you have a few seconds to press F6 (it mentions it along bottom of screen) and selecting this file from a floppy disk.

The below information I've typed might work for you, or just be applicable to RAID. Hope it helps, anyway

A quick search indicated that the v2030 uses VIA VN800 chipset, and that uses a VT8237A South bridge. With that I've found this driver from VIA site, but direct link to page won't work.

Direct driver file link: VIA V-RAID Driver version 5.90A
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/via_vrai ... v5.90a.zip

If you want to retrace the steps, go to this page and select the following filters:
Step 1: Microsoft Windows
Step 2: Windows XP
Step 3: IDE, RAID, SATA
Step 4: VT8237 Integrated Serial ATA RAID Controller

Instructions in readme of the 11.7MB download file
Windows Pre-OS installation Floppy Disk (F6 Installation)
Under Windows 2000 and later OS, except Windows VISTA and Windows VISTA-x64, while user intends to install OS on the disk attached on the RAID controller, they have to prepare a floppy driver disk including the pre-OS installation files and press “F6” while boot CD is starting.

The driver disk files had been prepared in this package. Please follow the steps to prepare it.

1. Make sure the target system is already install floppy drive

2. Prepare a empty and valid floppy disk

3. Copy all files under \DRVDISK to the floppy without losing

4. Power on the target machine and boot from the Boot CD. And press “F6” while the prompt appear on the button line

5. After the booting process ask you to insert the floppy disk, please insert the prepared floppy disk to the floppy drive and press enter

6. Choose the proper item to fit the OS and RAID controller you are installing. Each item shows the matched OS for it.

The drvdisk folder was in VRAIDDrv folder

Azure

Postby Azure » Mon Apr 26, 2010 18:59

Really thank you for the full reply.

Tinkerer wrote:Just to clarify, you got as far as the Windows XP CD loading files to RAM before it began installation of copying files to hard drive?

Yeah, you're totally right. Just when the copy of files ends, I can see the "No HDD found" message.

So, if I donwload VIA V-RAID Driver (from the link you gave me, I mean this) could work for me?
The problem is... my amilo pro v2030 hasn't got any place where I can insert a floppy disk.
Could I use another thing such as an USB? Or... I read some about nLite (but I don't really know how it works). Could this work?
Thanks ;)

EDIT: I don't know if the following could interfere... my Amilo pro is european (specifically Spanish), so would drivers have to be differents?

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 22:26

Sorry, I can't answer as I don't own this model.

It might work using a USB memory stick if it was connected before turning laptop on. But I wouldn't like to say for sure, in case you go and buy one and find it doesn't work.

If you have a USB memory stick and want to try, you still need to press F6 during early stages of the setup (when it lists it along bottom of screen). Then later on during the installation setup it will ask you to select the S-ATA driver. If the USB flash drive is recognised you should be able to select it and find the directory needed.

nLite is handy as you can make your own new CD of Windows including SP3 and the S-ATA drivers, and lots of other things. But best to just stick to integrating the S-ATA drivers to keep it simple for a first attempt. Then there shouldn't be a need to press F6 to load the S-ATA driver, as it is automatically integrated into the XP installer.

I don't think the language will affect the S-ATA driver files.

All the best.

Edit: A screenshot thread of the F6 prompt and selecting S-ATA driver (the names will be different for you as using a different brand). It mentions "You cannot use a USB flash drive for this".

Azure

Postby Azure » Tue Apr 27, 2010 15:01

Tinkerer wrote:Sorry, I can't answer as I don't own this model.

O.O? I can read your profile that says: "Product(s): Amilo Pro v2030D". And it's the same laptop that I've got.

Tinkerer wrote:Edit: A screenshot thread of the F6 prompt and selecting S-ATA driver (the names will be different for you as using a different brand). It mentions "You cannot use a USB flash drive for this".

Oh, so... if I cannot use a USB flash drive, the only way is using nLite?

Thanks again for the quick reply ;)

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 20:41

I no longer have the Fujitsu laptop to check if it will work with a USB flash drive.

If you tested the USB flash drive method yourself (in case guide was wrong) and it didn't work, then using nLite is going to be the only viable option I can think of that doesn't involve spending money. Apart from buying blank CD's to write a new Windows XP installation disk.

When I had the V2030 I used a XP with SP3 disk I made with a new hard drive, and the installation worked fine. I don't remember if it had any S-ATA drivers integrated or not, but I suspect they would of been Intel ICHx drivers if there was any (as the disk was created for a different laptop). So maybe SP3 introduced native support for the VAI chipset.

With that in mind if you had a CD-RW disk you could try two methods with nLite:
1) Just integrate SP3 and make CD, then see if that works.
2) If above didn’t work then repeat with addition S-ATA drivers.

Azure

Postby Azure » Wed Apr 28, 2010 16:02

I tried with a USB and it didn't work (well, the CD tried to install WinXP in my USB, but it wasn't that I wanted). Also I tried with WinXP uE SP3, and I got the same error (No HDD found).
So now, I have made an installation of WinXP uE SP3 including dvrdisk (inside VRAIDDrv) only with the files inside "x86". I had NT4 and NT5, so I included both... I hope it works

EDIT: I'm still getting the same error... I included that i said above and looks like it didn't work? Do you know anything else that I could do?

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 21:49

I'm out of suggestions without trying trial and error things myself, which I can no longer do.

The HDD is working fine as you still have Windows installed, as you've been unable to format it due to XP CD not seeing HDD? If so, I'd put the problem down to choice of S-ATA file used.

When I initially browsed the VIA download I thought it was strange that there is no specific XP sub directory in drvdisk folder. And assumed one of the one drivers in x86 directory was compatible with XP.

So a choice of two options. And I hope you bought a CD-RW to save wasting multiple CD-R's.

If you look in the following directory when insert single driver option in nLite.
VIA_VRAID_Windows_V5.90A\VRAIDDrv\XP\x86

Not sure if the above file is for use once Windows XP has been installed, or as a driver to enable Windows installation.

If the above doesn't work, then I'd just try this in hope that one of the drivers is compatible with XP. Insert "Multiple driver folder" option of nLite, and select the drvdisk folder. This will add 5 files, and hopefully one of them is compatible with XP even though the versions available are for completely different versions of Windows.
My reasoning being that the instructions mentioned Vista doesn't require a S-ATA driver, but there is a folder called Vista. So hoping that’s compatible with XP.

If all that fails I'd check for options in BIOS relating to HDD controller mode (if likely to be any). While hoping for someone with a better memory to come along and give advice.

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Sun May 02, 2010 22:47

Azure wrote:I tried with a USB and it didn't work (well, the CD tried to install WinXP in my USB, but it wasn't that I wanted). Also I tried with WinXP uE SP3, and I got the same error (No HDD found).
So now, I have made an installation of WinXP uE SP3 including dvrdisk (inside VRAIDDrv) only with the files inside "x86". I had NT4 and NT5, so I included both... I hope it works

EDIT: I'm still getting the same error... I included that i said above and looks like it didn't work? Do you know anything else that I could do?

Was checking the versions supplied, and the NT5 folder should be the one you need according to Wikipedia page. Although Windows XP is classed as NT 5.1 it should work.

The only other thing I've found was this information on VIA Arena that states driver version 5.50b is the last stable driver for your chipset.
VIA Arena wrote:This is the last stable driver supporting VT8237/R/R Plus, VT6421, and VT6410 controllers. These controllers are not supported from the V-RAID driver version 5.60 onwards.

I don't know if that would make a difference over version 5.90A that I originally linked, or not. Anyway, I hope it helps if you're still stuck.

Azure

Postby Azure » Tue May 04, 2010 19:49

I tried everything and nothing works...
I tell you that I did:
- First, I tried to write in the CD all the directories into "drvdisk". When it starts loading the files into the RAM (before the installation), I get an error "viamrx64.sys is corrupt". So I guessed the problem was the driver that i included which were for a 64-bits laptop.
- So I only included this time, "VISTA" and "x86" (inside of drvdisk folder) in the CD. I was still getting the same error (viamrx64.sys is corrupt). I guessed the problem was the "x64" folder inside "VISTA".
- I ONLY wrote the folder x86 (this I already tried but I did it again), and... I GET THE SAME ERROR (viamrx64.sys is corrupt)! I really said "what the f...?" There is no "viamrx64.sys" file there, so I didn't know what happened.
- Outta "drvdisk" there's a folder called "XP". I thought those could work, so I wrote them into a CD. Once with both folders inside of "XP" and once more only with "x86" inside "XP" folder. As I expected... nothing works.

I'm talking about the file you gave me in this link.
And all these failed-attemps, were tried each one in a new CD, so the problem never could be that some files are yet saved on it.
I think there's no way to reinstall Windows...

Tinkerer

Postby Tinkerer » Fri May 07, 2010 22:06

Sorry, I thought my originally post was going to be an easy solution.

Forgive me if you have already tried this, but the mention of 64-bit driver appearing on each CD made me think of the following. I've not tested this out, but it seems logical by what you've described

If the viamrx64.sys file was present on each CD you created, that might be due to the same patched Windows XP source directory nLite originally created being used for each CD attempt. So the viamrx64.sys is still there even though you haven't added it on each subsequent attempt.

When you start nLite and press Next button, does the "Locating the Windows installation" screen default to the directory you originally used? On mine you can see I used D:\XP make CD

Azure wrote:- First, I tried to write in the CD all the directories into "drvdisk". When it starts loading the files into the RAM (before the installation), I get an error "viamrx64.sys is corrupt".

I'm guessing each subsequent CD you have burned still has the full contents of drvdisk from above attempt. So delete the folder you are using, and start from scratch again. But this time just use <drive>:\VIA_VRAID_Windows_V5.90A\VRAIDDrv\drvdisk\x86\NT5

If the above doesn't work then I'm defeated. Unfortunately I got rid of the laptop so can't view BIOS screens to check if there was a hard drive controller option allowing IDE mode to selected (so negating need for a S-ATA driver). But when I did install Windows XP I had a new hard drive fitted, and I don't remember if I used these files, and if I did if I used my USB floppy disk drive.

Azure

Postby Azure » Sat May 08, 2010 18:31

I did it and it didn't work. I only included NT5, and now the error was "No HDD found"...
Thanks for all your help but I don't really think there is a solution... I wish but it looks like there isn't.
I don't know how the laptop is configured... it's so weird i cannot reinstall windows... I thought there was some kind of protection, but this couldn't be (I hope), so I don't know what could be... and support doesn't reply me.
Tinkerer, if you think there's another way yet, just tell me ;) Thanks again for all.

Return to “AMILO Pro”