Xi 3650 cooling system mod - decrease GPU temp by 15C

Moderator: ModTeam

aczelkri

Xi 3650 cooling system mod - decrease GPU temp by 15C

Postby aczelkri » Mon Dec 20, 2010 22:57

Hi all!

Maybe it will be useful for someone. I have just replaced (actually removed) the thermal pads on the 9600M GT GPU in my Xi 3650. Here is how I did it:

I. Removing the heatsink

1. Unscrew the five screws at the bottom of the laptop that holds the largest piece of plastic. Under it you will find the heatsink for the CPU, and the two GPUs.
2. Place the amilo in a way that the copper part of the heatsink is on the left, and the RAM is at the top.
3. Unscrew the four silver screws on the CPU.
4. There are two more silver screws attached to the heatsink, one to the left of the CPU and one at the bottom-right.
5. Unscrew the two black screws that hold the vent.
6. Unplug the vent (be careful not to break the cables) .
7. Remove the vent.
8. Remove the heatsink by gently wiggling it a little while pulling it to the right. The only thing that keeps it there is the sticky thermal pads and thermal paste on the CPU.
9. Wipe your sweat :) You have succesfully removed the heatsink.

II. Replacing the thermal pads

1. The CPU has old thermal paste on it, wipe it clean. Wipe the remainder from the heatsink too.
2. Remove the thermal pad off the nVidia GPU (it is the bottom one). Use something sharp to avoid braking the pad, just in case you need it again (e.g. warranty reasons)
3. Remove the blue thermal pad off the memory chips next to the nVidia GPU. Be careful, you will need it!
4. The blue thermal pad (that you just removed from the memory) is too thick. Cut one slice from it, just the same size as one of the memory chips. Then with a knife carefully cut it in two in a way that at the end you have two memory-sized pads with half the width. This requires a bit of dexterity, but it is doable.
5. Put the created half-as-thin pads back to the two memory chips.
6. Put thermal paste to the GPU, not too much, about half the size of the head of a match. I used Spire 420, but I guess it is not the paste that matters but the fact that you remove the pad from between the GPU and the heatsink.
7. Put thermal paste to the CPU.
8. Put back everything in reverse order.
9. Don't forget to replug the vent!!

This mod has resulted in about 15 C decrease in the temperature of the nVidia GPU!! Now I cannot go over 83C even with the GPU overclocked from 500MHz to 650MHz. My idle temperature is 55C.

I hope you find this mod usedul. I certainly do :)
Attachments
P1080784_kis.jpg
Removing the heatsink pic.
P1080784_kis.jpg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 8319 times
Last edited by aczelkri on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:07, edited 1 time in total.

KooolaNL
Product(s): Xi2528

Re: Xi 3650 cooling system mod - decrease GPU temp by 15C

Postby KooolaNL » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:17

Pictures would be great

aczelkri

Postby aczelkri » Mon Jan 10, 2011 13:08

Yeah, I know, I just didn't want to take it apart again, when it was already done and working well... Still, maybe I take the time and shoot some pictures...

Tanukki
Product(s): Amilo xi3650

Postby Tanukki » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:09

Even without that trick of recycling the GPU thermal pad, putting new thermal paste in its place makes a huge difference. It's the best solution for overheating and noise.

Don't just remove the pads though, unless you have thermal paste to put in its place. If there's nothing then the heat might not conduct at all and you'll have crazy heat spikes.

Return to “AMILO Notebook”