SATA Disk drive Ports

AMILO Desktop, SCALEO, SCALEO Homeserver, SCENIC, etc.

Moderator: ModTeam

BJGreene
Product(s): Scaleo-P

SATA Disk drive Ports

Postby BJGreene » Mon Dec 09, 2013 21:59

I have gradually expanded my HDD compliment until all 4 of the SATA motherboard interfaces are filled. I have recently purchased and installed a new 2Tb drive (which I want to clone with the system disk). It is connected to the second Port - as I understand it, - that is PORT 1. The boot drive is on Port 0. The other HDDs are on Ports 2 & 3 making 4 in all. (Yes there are also some Partitions).
These disks don't appear that way in Windows Disk Management. There is a reversal in two of the IDs. Nor are the IDs sda, sdb, sdc, & sdd appearing as expected. Everything is working but I am nervous about giving the go-ahead to clone just in case the address is wrong! Can anyone help me with this?

Can I put this another way and ask if the SATA ports are at all address conscious? Does it matter where the disks are actually connected? Where is the address raised and sensed? Are all the disks actually looking at the same highway bus?
Sure would appreciate some direction on this.
In anticipation I thank you.

Berry G.

sabrex
Product(s): Various

Re: SATA Disk drive Ports

Postby sabrex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 14:22

remove the drives you dont want to clone. Leave main in and the drive your cloning too - done.

BJGreene
Product(s): Scaleo-P

Re: SATA Disk drive Ports

Postby BJGreene » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:02

Sorry it has been so long replying. Lost Forum access. My fault. Clone went OK - not certain how I did it now. Reading my original screed brings back the anxiety I felt then. I want to thank you for your simple & obvious response and to apologise for not getting back sooner than this.

Return to “Older products”