W530 - NVMe - BOOT problem

Moderator: ModTeam

mfmschaser
Product(s): Celcius w530

W530 - NVMe - BOOT problem

Postby mfmschaser » Mon Mar 15, 2021 15:32

Hello,

I have a Celsius W530 with the S26361 - D3227-A1 motherboard. I installed a new SSD "Samsung EVO 970" trough NVMe m.2. I can use the drive in windows and it works ok.

But I would like to re-install the windows on the new drive. But when I try I get an error saying "Unable to install on this drive, it may not support booting. Please turn on the controler in BIOS"

Where can I find that in BIOS I looked everywhere or is it even possible and how?

thank you

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: W530 - NVMe - BOOT problem

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:30

Hello and thank you for your contact! :)

There are usually no issues when comes to connecting NVMe SSD via PCIe or M.2 with Intel Chipsets from series 6 and up (Celsius W530 is working with series 8th chipsets Intel(R)C226).

Appropriate Windows NVMe driver is loaded when the operating system starts and that’s why you are able to see this drive in Windows Explorer (and use it).

However, that is about as good as it gets because using NVMe SSD to boot from, requires a special BIOS UEFI module on the Mainboard that is being loaded during booting.
This feature is included in newer BIOS versions for Mainboards with Intel’s Chipsets series 9 and up (offering full NVMe support with BOOT included).

Users with chipsets series 6 – 8 have to enjoy this “partial” functionality, as modifying the BIOS to get the booting from NVMe possible is an extremely dangerous and complicated task. You really have to be an expert in BIOS mods to not damage the system beyond the recovery.

For that reason, we must say that booting from NVMe, in this case, is impossible because any BIOS modifications are not recommended.

Regards,
Fujitsu Forum Team

mfmschaser
Product(s): Celcius w530

Re: W530 - NVMe - BOOT problem

Postby mfmschaser » Tue Mar 16, 2021 15:12

Thank you for the anwser.

Return to “CELSIUS Workstations”